Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Collapse on the New M6 Motorway


Recommended Posts

My wife sent me this photo today - I'm still trying to find the exact location but its on the new M6 Bang Pa In to Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat) motorway - probably near Korat.  I suspect it could be some time before this road is completed.

1611426561173.jpg

Edited by KhaoYai
Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like it was under construction, so thank god it happened now and not after the highway went into service, 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw the headline... Collapse on the new M6... thinking the M6 in the UK has been extended and has somehow collapsed - Initial thoughts WOW, that quite the issue.. heads are going to roll !!!

 

Once the thread loaded - I saw that the collapse was actually of some motorway construction in Thailand... and well, yep, the Thai bashing will commence, not really unwarranted... or more to the point, heads won’t roll... 

... Short cuts, corruption, sub-par materials, no inspection.... 

 

This also implies that the rest of the motorway is also constructed below safe standards. I wonder if all of the elevated sections will have to be knocked down and re-built or will some excuse be made that its ok. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Really hope they hire some qualified structural engineers to inspect that garbage as they normally do when it comes to anything load bearing.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone with 30 years experience in concrete forms for commercial applications, (high rise construction NYC) from the picture it looks like a re-shore problem and the pour  collapsed. In high rise construction after a floor is poured, it needs to be supported for 28 days until the concrete reaches strength.

I see all the rebar, so I don't think they had poured yet 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sirineou said:

It looks like it was under construction, so thank god it happened now and not after the highway went into service, 

Yes it was under some sort of construction but the vast majority of the elevated sections of this road were pre-cast at the factory and delivered on site by trucks.  I only know of one section where a cock-up lead to an entire bridge having to be formed on site.  The section that is still standing (in the foreground) looks like a pre-cast section and I can't see any shuttering that might indicate that the collapsed section going to meet it was being formed on site.  However, the other carriageway is being supported so god knows what's going on.

 

Edit: On a second look it seems there was some shuttering so maybe this is where another cock-up meets a pre-cast section?

Edited by KhaoYai
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I wonder if all of the elevated sections will have to be knocked down and re-built or will some excuse be made that its ok. 

I think I'll stick to the old road for a couple of years. 🤣

 

I love the way the power cables remain under the section still standing.  Should you be lucky enough to survive an accident there but crash over the side, you'll be lit up like a Mazda light bulb.

Edited by KhaoYai
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Yes it was under some sort of construction but the vast majority of the elevated sections of this road were pre-cast at the factory and delivered on site by trucks.  I only know of one section where a cock-up lead to an entire bridge having to be formed on site.  The section that is still standing (in the foreground) looks like a pre-cast section and I can't see any shuttering that might indicate that the collapsed section going to meet it was being formed on site.  However, the other carriageway is being supported so god knows what's going on.

 

Edit: On a second look it seems there was some shuttering so maybe this is where another cock-up meets a pre-cast section?

Yes you are right, in situations like this , sections are precast  because they don't have the time to re-shore for 28 days to achieve straight.BUT TIT,

I look at the collapsed section and I see a lot of rebar , but it could be that they had just poured not too long ago and the concrete was still green, perhaps the additional weight of the pour collapsed the scaffolding. 

Who knows. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looks like the formwork has collapsed, no sign of cement anywhere, probably just a lackadaisical approach to doing a half-decent job. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...