Will schools reopen on February 1st? – Special Interview with Thailand’s Education Minister

rooster59

Will schools reopen on February 1st? – Special Interview with Thailand’s Education Minister

ed.JPG

Schools in Thailand’s 28 red zone provinces will be allowed to resume onsite learning from February 1st. The country’s education minister, Nataphol Teepsuwan, said that the outbreak is under sufficient control whereby the ministry feelscomfortable with the safety measures in place for classroom lessons.

Nataphol said that, if the number of infections rises again to between 500 and 600 per day over a wide area, they will have to reconsider their decision. So far, officials have been able to trace and understand the timeline of each infection, which gives the ministry confidence that they will be able to manage the situation in schools.

The ministry had extended the closure, from mid-January,because there were about 50 million people travelling during the New Year holidays, so they limited school activities for 1 month as a precaution.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/will-schools-reopen-on-february-1st/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-01-24

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's imperative that they re-open schools - fast!

I agree.. I think for many parents the issue in the very short term is more to do with the added hours of child care/supervision and/or being (or having to be) a more active player in their child’s online learning, than it is the about the learning per se. .... so I think that by not having kids in school, it is holding back some adults from their jobs/economics...    

.. i also think that for some kids the so-called technology divide, is really exacerbating the gap between kids who just don’t legitimately have resources at home to do online and those that do... so i think by going back to school, this should help to level that metric.

Lastly, I also think that for some of the smaller, perhaps more rural and economically lower communities, schools might be a child’s principle place where they consistently receive a meal.

but I do get where the MoE is coming from in terms of risks .. schools are, by their very nature, places where you can’t really avoid groups and close contact situations and in largely “enclosed” spaces...   and i think there’s also an “optics” risk.. IF they left schools open and IF an outbreak were to occur, with children getting sick, in the hospital, etc .... , THAT would make for some very uncomfortable press coverage.. so I get why the government might choose to close down.... not saying it was the right decision or not; that’s  hard to say as one can’t really prove what would have been the reality had the MoE left schools open. 

Edited by new2here