Thai farmers to be told to stop burning farm waste or face legal action

rooster59

25 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Taken 2 days ago very near me baled sugar cane straw ,the bales are known as big  high densitie bales  ,each one weighs 300 kg ,they were this stack plus another stack  like it  500 yards away.

All this straw comes from a good few hundred rie ,and they is a lot more where this has come from .

And it means a good few hundred rie not going up in smoke .

Maybe a just a drop in the ocean but it is a start, this straw will be going for Bio Fuel.  

RIMG1625 (3).JPG

This is great to see, but it's clear that this cost a few bob. The real problem is the small farms, who live hand-to-mouth, who have such a tiny plot in comparison, that it's easier to just light the fire.

3 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Would it be rude to ask if these asswipes are aware of the damage that they cause not only to peoples health (including their own) but to climate change & pollution problems ?

Does the average rice, corn, sugar cane farmer care? I think not.

well it has not worked the farmers are still burning the sugar cane tonight.  Easy way is to ban the sugar cane factories from processing burnt sugar cane.  If they cant sell it, they wont burn it before they harvest it

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MaiDong said:

Do what? Protect them? Seems fairly reasonable to me. 

Why would a man want to build a house where the air is clean when he can raise his family in a toxic environment?

with the flaming I’m getting it looks like I’m wrong?

after the Chernobyl disaster people moved away

i guess they were also wrong?

• Like 1

The Govt. can create as many rules as they like, good for show to demonstrate that they are doing something about the problem. Unfortunately the laws are hardly ever enforced due to incompetence, laziness, bribes etc; so it's all a bit pointless...

5 minutes ago, Forza2002 said:

The Govt. can create as many rules as they like, good for show to demonstrate that they are doing something about the problem. Unfortunately the laws are hardly ever enforced due to incompetence, laziness, bribes etc; so it's all a bit pointless...

In addition, they need to address the "why" as to burning. Usually it's a lack of resources to pay for any other method. We have a large Burmese migrant population in my area, they all work at the local clothing mills and they all burn their trash in a couple of pits right around the corner from the factory. They are certainly not going to pay for trash collection given that they barely make enough to keep themselves fed and send a few baht back to Myanmar. This is where government and private industry need to step in and provide a centralized trash hauling...they profit handsomely on the labor but do nothing about the problems of managing this influx of people.

20 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Sad to hear you continue to do this to your children!????????????‍♂️

with ron on this one. big whoopie you wait 30 minutes to drop your kids off. you live in a toxic environment where daily the children are exposed to massive amounts of pm2.5. in the long run the children's health will suffer massively. 

keeping the curtains closed is a perfect allegory. 

• Thanks 1

And here i am on my idyllic Island, with a neighbor burning off his land as I type, with the smoke drifting into his house with 3 kids inside, and his wife also does daycare for others  :post-4641-1156694572:  they just don't care or comprehend what their actions cause to others they just don't give a <deleted>.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MaiDong said:

This is great to see, but it's clear that this cost a few bob. The real problem is the small farms, who live hand-to-mouth, who have such a tiny plot in comparison, that it's easier to just light the fire.

A good valid point ,but on this forum the post about burning of crops and crop  residue, are about the large cane growers ,your small subsistence farmer could not afford to grow any cane ,with they just a few rie ,it would probably take 15-20 of them to be the same scale as some of the big cane grower ,and not all of them will burn their  crop residue .

In this area all the big farms grow mainly cane ,but with the drought and low cane prices a lot are diversifying to other crops mainly cassava, and cane  acreage  has defentily   dropped

23 hours ago, Toany said:

well it has not worked the farmers are still burning the sugar cane tonight.  Easy way is to ban the sugar cane factories from processing burnt sugar cane.  If they cant sell it, they wont burn it before they harvest it

Most of the cash yards around here have already stopped buying burnt cane, and the quota yards (Mitr Phon in our case) don't really care what the government says. So the government has already taken it's best shot. Particulate content not too bad around here though - can't really complain.

The biggest fire I've seen close to here though, was on government land on the mountain foothills. Looks like the government itself might be the biggest offenders locally...

On 1/24/2021 at 10:50 AM, Crossy said:

I anticipate a significant increase in the number of "accidental" fires starting around 2.30AM.

At night  well after everyone is asleep here in chiang rai they light them as late as 1.30am

On 1/24/2021 at 3:45 PM, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Looking out from my back patio. 15.30 today. Burning San Kamphaeng, this not farmland. Been going on for a week now off and on. Would be government land.

20210124_153954.jpg

That is horrific. Wild fires? And if so, why is no attempt being made to put them out? And if not wildfires, who is responsible? On government land one would think if there as a will, it would be fairly easy to bring the heinous offenders to justice. Burning should be made a felony conviction, with significant prison time, and huge fines levied on the family, and their homes. Things would change overnight. This administration appears to have little interest in tackling the air quality issues here. It will only get worse, with this "do nothing attitude".

• Like 1