Air quality unhealthy in 29 provinces, including 33 Bangkok districts

rooster59

Air quality unhealthy in 29 provinces, including 33 Bangkok districts

By The Nation

800_badc6e8b1cea252.jpg

Air pollution in 33 districts around Bangkok hit unsafe levels on Sunday morning with PM2.5 readings of 39 to 72 micrograms per cubic metre (μg/m3), the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's Air Quality and Noise Management Division reported.

Thailand’s standard for safe levels of PM2.5 (particles less than 2.5 micrometres in diameter) is 50μg/m3.

The 33 districts where air pollution hit unsafe levels were:

In Bangkok: Bueng Kum (72μg/m3), Nong Chok (72μg/m3), Bang Kapi (67μg/m3), Lat Krabang (66μg/m3), Don Muang (64μg/m3), Prawet (63μg/m3), Bang Khen (63μg/m3), Thawi Watthana (62μg/m3), Klong Toei (62μg/m3), Lak Si (61μg/m3), Bangkok Yai (60μg/m3), Minburi (60μg/m3), Wang Thonglang (60μg/m3), Yannawa (59μg/m3), Bangkok Noi (58μg/m3), Taling Chan (58μg/m3), Phra Nakhon (58μg/m3), Bangna (57μg/m3), Chatuchak (57μg/m3), Khlong San (56μg/m3), Bang Sue (56μg/m3), Phasi Charoen (55μg/m3), Khlong Sam Wa (54μg/m3), Khan Na Yao (54μg/m3), Samphanthawong (54μg/m3), Suan Luang (54μg/m3), Bang Bon (53μg/m3), Pathumwan (53μg/m3), Phya Thai (53μg/m3), Lat Phrao (52μg/m3), Dusit (51μg/m3), Chom Thong (51μg/m3) and Bang Phlat (51μg/m3).

Air quality also is at unhealthy levels in Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Samut Sakhon, Samut Prakarn, Chiang Rai, Phayao, Chiang Mai, Nan, Lampang, Phrae, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Tak, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit, Phetchabun, Uthai Thani, Lopburi, Saraburi, Suphan Buri, Ayutthaya, Prachinburi, Chachoengsao, Chonburi, Rayong, Nong Khai, Khon Kaen, Chaiyaphum and Nakhon Ratchasima provinces.

PM2.5 readings in different regions:

North: 34 to 79 μg/m3.

Northeast: 36 to 72 μg/m3.

Central and West: 34 to 86μg/m3.

East: 32 to 58μg/m3.

South: 9 to 33μg/m3.

People in areas where PM2.5 pollution is bad have been advised to monitor their health and reduce time spent on outdoor activities, especially the elderly, children, and patients with respiratory diseases.

The PM2.5 situation can be followed via the Air4Thai.com website or smartphone app, or via bangkokairquality.com.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401723?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-24

My face mask has a PM 2.5 filter insert, and whilst I wear it primarily as an anti covid thing, I'm assuming it would also provide some degree of protection v. bad air. Anyway, now I've got into the habit, even if the covid thing dies down, I might just carry on wearing a mask when these reports of unhealthy air are issued; one sliver of a siver lining for me to come out of the covid cloud. I have little confidence they'll resolve the problem at source in the forseeable future, so having some form of personal protection to mitigate the effects is nice.

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

They are burning stuble all over Thailand and Asia.  Poor economy means more planting. Burning the stuble means they save money from having to removing the brush.

They also burn sugar cane to make it easier to harvest by hand.  This has nothing to do with stuble

2 hours ago, Toany said:

They also burn sugar cane to make it easier to harvest by hand.  This has nothing to do with stuble

They don't burn sugar cane they burn the stubble around the sugar cane.

Stubble burning is the practice of intentionally setting fire to the straw stubble that remains after grains, such as rice and wheat, have been harvested. The technique was widespread until the 1990s, when governments increasingly restricted its use.

Edited by Don Chance

Sugar cane field burning is carried out before harvesting the cane to make the process easier and require less manual labor.

https://sites.google.com/site/sugarcanepm/pre-harvest-burning

Sugarcane burning is estimated to contribute more than half of Palm Beach County’s total emissions for 15 hazardous air pollutants.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-03-28/america-s-sugar-cane-growers-have-a-burning-problem

It's even done in richer countries.
The polluters save money.
The dealers buy cheaper and make more money.
The population pays.

Edited by willi2006
addition