Neo Pattaya: Project to transform resort into state the art metropolis begins - starting with Walking Street

rooster59

Pattaya is world famous for being the sex capital of the world, why on earth would they change it, many people visit just to see it not necessarily participate in all the activities however its quite an eye opener for anyone visiting.

Anyone whos walked along the beach road (bar side) are simply horrified by the type of people that hang around those bars. Its seedy as you like but worth a look.

Anyway nothings is going to change, Ive been there a couple of times and had some wild wild nights however its ok for a weekend with your mates, couldn't stand the place for much longer

• Like 1

Explains the delay in easing the restrictions , wants to make sure as many businesses as possible to close down to make his plan easier and cheaper .

not sure though if he thought that with business closure comes less tax revenue, sign tax alone is worth millions if not billions 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

I really welcome the plan to convert Pattaya from a sex industry center into an attractive city for residents and tourists. However, I would add one suggestion, can you please make the pavements everywhere more easily and safely walkable. I don't live in Pattaya, but I do own a holiday condo there and I often find going for a walk, even on the beach pavements in Jomtien, unsafe.  Just a constructive suggestion.

No worries.     I forwarded your request to the Pattaya Mayor and City Hall.     

They'll get right on it.    ????

It's the end of an Era. Walking st was a walkway through the biggest brothel in the world and surely most would have realized that it wasn't going to last forever. I personally loved it and had probably to many wild nights but hey you only live once 

I doubt Nana plaza will survive the flip side of the pandemic but hopeful that soi cowboy will 

• Like 1

Just now, madmen said:

It's the end of an Era. Walking st was a walkway through the biggest brothel in the world and surely most would have realized that it wasn't going to last forever. I personally loved it and had probably to many wild nights but hey you only live once 

I doubt Nana plaza will survive the flip side of the pandemic but hopeful that soi cowboy will 

Sadly, you're right. I just hope they leave Soi Blue Cow and LK alone....

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chang1 said:

I don't see much in the way of invention just copying what everywhere else is doing. Thailand was outstanding at what it was. Now it is just another Spain living on its past reputation while quickly becoming a Chinese only getaway destination. 

Once again.  2019 visitors to Thailand:  China: 10.9 million.  Other Asian countries: 15 million.  Europe and the Americas, 8 million.  Not just Chinese visiting. 

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The ambitious ‘Neo Pattaya’ project began in earnest on Saturday when municipal staff erected new signage at the entrance to Pattaya’s famous Walking Street.

That would turn me off and into another direction.. looks like something from the 70's... where Pattaya is stuck in a time warp.

• Like 1

Good opportunity for politicians and their cronies to make a killing from all the construction, purchase of properties, at least to start with. Of course, what happens 5 or 10 yrs later is not their concern. Sex tourism has a high demand and willing suppliers...and so it will move to another place, I anticipate.

• Like 2

Neo.  A dystopian future in which we are all trapped inside a simulated reality know as Pattaya.

We are living in the Matrix of Pattaya, the future's so bright we gotta wear shades.

If it feels good, just do it.  Enjoy it all while you can.  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't read this thread only the OP.....and there seems to be an elephant in the room....

I'm sure there will be plenty of cynical posts about how this will never happen and there may even be some posts putting forward their own ideas of which direction Pattaya should go in.

however the elephant in the room is VISION...

The problem with any scheme to revitalise or re-invent Pattaya is that even if they get through the red tape, corruption politics etc the possibility of finding anyone in Thailand with enough vision to come up with a decent concept is virtually nil.

Somewhere like Pattaya needs a huge research program and a modern international approach to building a resort town that will meet the needs for the future, has infrastructure to cope and is environmentally friendly enough to meet the criteria of future visitors.

I believe that there is no capability in Pattaya , Chonburi or even Thailand asa whole for this kind of work.

The fact that they are already talking about a piecemeal approach is getting of to a false start already

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, juice777 said:

"So we gotta make a new life where they'll never find us. You know where? Underground!
You should see it down there - hundreds of miles of drains - sweet and clean now after the rain!"

0one of the main problems of Pattaya is that the infrastructure - including the drains - are simply not up to modern development - they are always one step behind.

5 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

I really welcome the plan to convert Pattaya from a sex industry center into an attractive city for residents and tourists. However, I would add one suggestion, can you please make the pavements everywhere more easily and safely walkable. I don't live in Pattaya, but I do own a holiday condo there and I often find going for a walk, even on the beach pavements in Jomtien, unsafe.  Just a constructive suggestion.

Come on ! It's part of the charm???? not just of Pattaya but of every Thai city. Pavements/sidewalks are a disgrace everywhere.

• Haha 1