Retirement visa - can I work online?

As the title says, I have a retirement visa, six years now.

I have an tentative offer of work in my home country, writing technical presentations for an education facility. I also have been offered a one-off subcontract by a corrosion consultant in the US.

None of the work is related to Thailand in any way, is using physical facilities here, is in competition with any Thai, or depriving any Thai of employment. Am I breaching my visa conditions by working online? What is the position of Thai Immigration with respect to work outside Thailand?

Any payment would be going to an Australian bank account.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing different for you from what many people (digital nomads) are doing already here. What you do at home on a computer is not a problem as long as you keep a low profile about what you are doing.

Depends how you look at it, the laws are made so foreigners don't take Thai jobs. The authorities don't care much if your not taking jobs away from Thais. Unless your flaunting it just keep under the

like don't mention it on an open forum?    ooops... 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing different for you from what many people (digital nomads) are doing already here. What you do at home on a computer is not a problem as long as you keep a low profile about what you are doing.

Tell him as well that it isn't legal.

• Confused 1
Just now, FritsSikkink said:

Tell him as well that it isn't legal.

It isnt but risk is quite low especially if you get paid abroad and you do all the work from home. Besides your not competing with Thais. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
1 minute ago, robblok said:

It isnt but risk is quite low especially if you get paid abroad and you do all the work from home. Besides your not competing with Thais. 

The risk is low, it isn't relevant that you are not competing with Thais.

I asked a large law firm in Bangkok about this. They said:

"If you decide to go with a Retirement visa, you can practically work on your computer without any issue as there is no actual proof that you are working. Those who work under retirement visa in an office, work space, store.,.etc, are more likely to be in trouble."

An interesting response. So yes technically illegal but low risk if it isn't visible and you keep it quiet.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Department of labor and immigration don't agree with you.

The department of labor does, immigration individuals can say what they want, not their department or expertise area.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

The department of labor does, immigration individuals can say what they want, not their department or expertise area.

They might of said that prior to 2018 when the definition of work changed. It now states.

“To perform any professional work, regardless of whether or not there is an employer, but excluding the conduct of business of foreign business license holders according to the Foreign Business Act.”

Does a digital nomad fit that description?

• Confused 1