Retirement visa - can I work online?

As the title says, I have a retirement visa, six years now.

I have an tentative offer of work in my home country, writing technical presentations for an education facility. I also have been offered a one-off subcontract by a corrosion consultant in the US.

None of the work is related to Thailand in any way, is using physical facilities here, is in competition with any Thai, or depriving any Thai of employment. Am I breaching my visa conditions by working online? What is the position of Thai Immigration with respect to work outside Thailand?

Any payment would be going to an Australian bank account.

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

The risk is low, it isn't relevant that you are not competing with Thais.

Depends how you look at it, the laws are made so foreigners don't take Thai jobs. The authorities don't care much if your not taking jobs away from Thais. Unless your flaunting it just keep under the radar. If you do take jobs away from Thais the risk is higher as you can get turned in by the competition. 

I asked a large law firm in Bangkok about this. They said:

"If you decide to go with a Retirement visa, you can practically work on your computer without any issue as there is no actual proof that you are working. Those who work under retirement visa in an office, work space, store.,.etc, are more likely to be in trouble."

An interesting response. So yes technically illegal but low risk if it isn't visible and you keep it quiet.

17 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

The department of labor does, immigration individuals can say what they want, not their department or expertise area.

They might of said that prior to 2018 when the definition of work changed. It now states.

“To perform any professional work, regardless of whether or not there is an employer, but excluding the conduct of business of foreign business license holders according to the Foreign Business Act.”

Does a digital nomad fit that description?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

They might of said that prior to 2018 when the definition of work changed. It now states.

“To perform any professional work, regardless of whether or not there is an employer, but excluding the conduct of business of foreign business license holders according to the Foreign Business Act.”

Does a digital nomad fit that description?

Where does it say you don't need a work permit. If you have a retirement or tourist visa, it states you are not permitted to work.

4 hours ago, Joseph98765 said:

Maybe the only thing you need to check is where to pay taxes, after 180 days living here...taxes has to be paid here, as I understood...

I would assume i pay taxes in the countries where i earn it.

Just now, 1FinickyOne said:
On 1/24/2021 at 1:17 PM, ubonjoe said:

not a problem as long as you keep a low profile about what you are doing.

like don't mention it on an open forum? 

The only worry you have is being reported, usually by another expat. ???? as many have a bone in their throat about this work visa issue thing.

Perhaps it is all a misunderstanding. You really were just asking for a friend. 

On 1/24/2021 at 7:03 AM, Lacessit said:

Am I breaching my visa conditions by working online? What is the position of Thai Immigration with respect to work outside Thailand?

In principle you might be in breach, but in practice you might not; probably a lot are doing similar kind of digital nomad online work; just keep low profile and don't talk too much about about...????

2 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Why are you so paranoid about keeping "low profile"? I openly say that I work online when immigration officials or police ask me about my occupation. Never had any problem with that.

When was last time imm officer or Thai police asked you about your occupation?

On 1/24/2021 at 8:03 AM, Lacessit said:

I have an tentative offer of work in my home country, writing technical presentations for an education facility. I also have been offered a one-off subcontract by a corrosion consultant in the US.

None of the work is related to Thailand in any way, is using physical facilities here, is in competition with any Thai, or depriving any Thai of employment. Am I breaching my visa conditions by working online? What is the position of Thai Immigration with respect to work outside Thailand?

As long as you get paid abroad and pay taxes abroad, no problem.

On 1/24/2021 at 9:03 AM, Lacessit said:

I’m not sure why you would even ask such a question on this forum - Its an open invitation for a special sanctimonious few to respond the dog-whistle and claim you are breaking so many laws, working illegally etc...  the same muppets will tell you painting your house is illegal !

Realistically - how can anything be proven if you are working from home and getting paid abroad ???

IMO: Absolutely no issues whatsoever - hope you enjoy the work and good luck with it !

13 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Why are you so paranoid about keeping "low profile"? I openly say that I work online when immigration officials or police ask me about my occupation. Never had any problem with that.

There's always a first time, just be sensible and keep your mouth shut.

Archived