Computer corner

robblok

13 hours ago, ukrules said:

Speaking of programmable buttons I bought something called a 'stream deck' by Elgato about a year ago - it's nothing to do with streaming for my use but it's a little 'pad' of programmable buttons which display icons from an lcd screen behind - I use it to change volume, launch programs, etc.

It's quite useful : https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck

Interesting ill keep it in mind. Thanks

12 hours ago, jackdd said:

Hotkeys can also be programmed with AutoIt or AutoHotKey, no special keyboard required.

Sure but then you use other keys that then lose their function. It might work for some people. Again I am not most people i like perfection. Now i got a row of 6 buttons that i can program / put macros up and they are conveniently placed. 

In the end its always a trade off between money (and I don't mind spending money for work) and less then perfect measures.

My keyboard is the corsair K95 cost around 6000 bt not many people are willing to pay that kind of money for a keyboard. Same goes for my mouse MX master 3 around 3000bt. 

I would not do it if it was not helping productivity.

43 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sure but then you use other keys that then lose their function. It might work for some people. Again I am not most people i like perfection. Now i got a row of 6 buttons that i can program / put macros up and they are conveniently placed. 

In the end its always a trade off between money (and I don't mind spending money for work) and less then perfect measures.

My keyboard is the corsair K95 cost around 6000 bt not many people are willing to pay that kind of money for a keyboard. Same goes for my mouse MX master 3 around 3000bt. 

I would not do it if it was not helping productivity.

Obviously 6,000 THB is a lot for a keyboard. But I think we should look at the big picture. Let's say we would use such a keyboard for two years then that is less than 10 THB per day. I am willing to spend that, and a lot more, for comfortable conditions on my PC.

And looking at prices for CPUs and other parts, 6,000 is probably 20% or less from the price of the whole PC. No problem.

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously 6,000 THB is a lot for a keyboard. But I think we should look at the big picture. Let's say we would use such a keyboard for two years then that is less than 10 THB per day. I am willing to spend that, and a lot more, for comfortable conditions on my PC.

And looking at prices for CPUs and other parts, 6,000 is probably 20% or less from the price of the whole PC. No problem.

For me its a no brainer, but a lot of people on this site always want the cheapest stuff available and have comments on those who buy something they consider expensive.

My computer setup is around 130k (exclusive monitors inclusive mouse and keyboard) So its not too bad. (when i bought it now it would be cheaper of course)

Expensive mobo, expensive processor, VGA card, good memory, expensive case and psu, liquid cooling, 2  2tb m2 ssd's  (you get the picture did not include my APC power thing or my headsets or speakers or wireless headsets or VR stuff)

Edited by robblok
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

For me its a no brainer, but a lot of people on this site always want the cheapest stuff available and have comments on those who buy something they consider expensive.

It doesn't hurt trying the free option first, and if somebody isn't satisfied with it they can still spend the money, I merely offered an alternative without judging. For me personally, I don't use most of my F keys, and just use them for macros instead.

One can spend a few thousand baht on an Elgato Stream Deck, or one can spend 100 THB on an USB numpad and use a free software to define hotkeys. The numpad doesn't look as fancy, but works the same. I do think though that binding hotkeys directly on the keyboard (using ctrl or alt if all other keys are used...) is faster to use than an additional device.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It doesn't hurt trying the free option first, and if somebody isn't satisfied with it they can still spend the money, I merely offered an alternative without judging. For me personally, I don't use most of my F keys, and just use them for macros instead.

One can spend a few thousand baht on an Elgato Stream Deck, or one can spend 100 THB on an USB numpad and use a free software to define hotkeys. The numpad doesn't look as fancy, but works the same. I do think though that binding hotkeys directly on the keyboard (using ctrl or alt if all other keys are used...) is faster to use than an additional device.

No it does not hurt to use free options first, for most people its enough. Not for me. I make money with the computer. My dad always told me get good tools for your trade any trade.

The thing is for my kind of work the less i move off the keyboard (also a num pad seperate is similar to a mouse and a waste of time) the more time i save and money i make.

Some of my work i boring imput work. For that a keyboard like what i have is best.

If i was not using my computer professionally i would certainly not spend as much on it. 

But as i said in an other post i can understand it when you dont want to spend too much and not really work with it.

Same if i dont like the feel of a keyboard then i wont buy it i hate those low (laptop like keyboards)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

Same if i dont like the feel of a keyboard then i wont buy it i hate those low (laptop like keyboards)

It seems keyboard and mouse are very personal choices.

Sometime when I work on other people's computers I tell them something like: You should get a good keyboard.

And sometime I get replies like: I selected this model, I really like it.

I would never have thought that people would use that keyboard if they don't get it for free. But I was obviously wrong...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems keyboard and mouse are very personal choices.

Sometime when I work on other people's computers I tell them something like: You should get a good keyboard.

And sometime I get replies like: I selected this model, I really like it.

I would never have thought that people would use that keyboard if they don't get it for free. But I was obviously wrong...

Yes its really personal, GF loves the keyboards i hate. I like the game mouse you shown I owned one in the past. I am still a fan of wired mouses even though mine is without a wire (but the mx master 3 has good power life). Keybaords i prefer a cable.

• Like 1

I have a Carbon x1 6th gen and a 34" wide screen for work, for gaming I have an ASUS ROG G752VS with phase interchange cooling (read liquid cooled) laptop and a 43" monitor that I can use with my CCTV in PIP in the corner. 

Add in a big office with lots of windows and dual fibre connections, I rarely leave.

48846.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes its really personal, GF loves the keyboards i hate. I like the game mouse you shown I owned one in the past. I am still a fan of wired mouses even though mine is without a wire (but the mx master 3 has good power life). Keybaords i prefer a cable.

I really like those MX master mouse that you have, they are amazing, once you set them up, they can save so much time - I had one, but it perished after a few years due to the humidity. I flick between 2 machines and an iPad. At the moment I have a cheap logitec mouse and a wired mouse - I will return to the mx master, but they are really expensive.

I have a Keychron mechanical keyboard that I bought on kickstarter, that has dual device support. I really like it, you can use a cable or BT.

3 hours ago, Surasak said:

Now that is a leading question. Standing at or sitting at. Sitting on or laying under, please yourself. ????

Google 'standing desk' its a generic term for a desk you work at while standing and many are adjustable from sitting to standing.

On 1/24/2021 at 1:39 AM, robblok said:

Here is my current computer setup, got an other computer with 2 screens in the other corner as a backup.

How many of you use multiple screens ?

I got everything wired except my mouse mx master 3 has good battery power. The keyboard is wired and special (has a row of programmable keys)

I can't live anymore without extra screens all of them are 32 inch. at 4k resulution

Just post some pics of your setup if it looks nice.

To be totally honest its usually more of a mess.

computer resized.jpg

Compared to the pics uploaded by other folks, the only thing (and it's a major thing!) that I see as a problem is that your drink is almost empty.

P.S. Gather up the cables with a twist tie or yarn.

Edited by Gumballl

On 1/25/2021 at 8:27 AM, jackdd said:

Since Windows 10 (OSX does this as well) you can just drag windows to the side of the screen to automatically adjust them to a part of the screen.

You can just drag one window to the left side, and one to the right, then both use 50% of the screen. You even get a bar in the middle with which you can adjust them both with one drag.

To have a window use just 25% of the screen you just drag it into a corner. There are also extra tools like this with which you can define custom areas: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/powertoys/fancyzones

That's the same procedure as when having multiple screens.

You can do that in Linux too.  Or use preset window sizes and positions triggered by hotkeys. 

49 minutes ago, Thaibeach said:

For those interested in builds vs. desk setups:

comp.thumb.jpg.556b173abaa23427b658ccf94847f180.jpg

I had an RTX 2080 in there for a while, but then sold it for a profit and reverted to the GTX 1080 in the pic. Waiting on a 3080...

I have a 3080 and nice clean case.. what kind of fan is that ? (i got water cooling)

8 hours ago, scoupeo said:

people always need more...

i know someome making $100k / month with just a laptop, no extra screen....

Sure depends what you need to do with it. If you need to compare multiple documents.. then if you dont want to print multiple screens is nice. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KeeTua said:

Google 'standing desk' its a generic term for a desk you work at while standing and many are adjustable from sitting to standing.

Very well aware. Sorry, I was in my sarcastic mood at the time.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 7:39 AM, robblok said:

Here is my current computer setup, got an other computer with 2 screens in the other corner as a backup.

How many of you use multiple screens ?

I got everything wired except my mouse mx master 3 has good battery power. The keyboard is wired and special (has a row of programmable keys)

I can't live anymore without extra screens all of them are 32 inch. at 4k resulution

Just post some pics of your setup if it looks nice.

To be totally honest its usually more of a mess.

computer resized.jpg

That is a nice setup. I assume you have a UPS for it all.