Canadian OA visa with dependents

I am a 51-year old Canadian wanting to relocate to Thailand with my 46 year old non-Thai wife and my 2 daughters. Our family flight already leaves on 24 February, but I can't get my head around the Visa options and requirements for my situation.

For my self it is clear-cut > I could apply for a Non Imm O-A Visa (my preferred option) but is it possible that my wife and daughters could 'piggy-back' on my Non Imm O-A visa with their own 'dependency' Visa issued in Canada? 

Or would the 4 of us have to enter Thailand Visa Exempt and that I then apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa once in Thailand, and get 'dependency' Visa for them there?

Or are there still other options?

It appears some their info on their website is not up to date. 

For getting non-o visas for being a member of your family the rules are not really clear on any website. The ones that are clearly listed is for family members of a person with a work permit.

The STV visa is certainly not a option.

Visa exempt or tourist visas for your children can be changed to a non-ed visa after they they are enrolled in a school.

Your wife would not be able to apply for a non-o visa for being their parent or as a member of your family at immigration.

If you children were able to enroll in a school before traveling they could get get non-ed visas from the embassy (see: https://ottawa.thaiembassy.org/en/content/119628-thailand-visa-and-coe?cate=5f069ee272a783584326eaf5) and your wife could get a non-o visa for being their parent.

I think you need to contact the embassy by and try to get some clear info from them

Thanks UbonJoe.

School says a visa is only possible if we pay for a whole school year in advance. We just want to try a semester to start.

I emailed the embassy a few days ago, got a response but it just seemed even more confusing. This is their response below.

Hello,

1. What paperwork(applications) do I fill out for them to accompany me as dependents? 
They can apply for Tourist or a Special tourist visa. Please visit this link and click at the categories to see requirements https://ottawa.thaiembassy.org/en/content/119628-thailand-visa-and-coe?cate=5f069ee272a783584326eaf5

A STV is not option unless the only want to stay for 270 days. It is not possible to change it to another type of visa.

A tourist visa or visa exempt entry is an option for your children since they could apply for non-ed visas with it.

For your wife as I wrote before she could not change to a non-o visa at immigration since it is not on the list of allowed reasons

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

A STV is not option unless the only want to stay for 270 days. It is not possible to change it to another type of visa.

A tourist visa or visa exempt entry is an option for your children since they could apply for non-ed visas with it.

For your wife as I wrote before she could not change to a non-o visa at immigration since it is not on the list of allowed reasons

Joe:  Lady at Ubon Immigration will not accept 65,000 a month, for over two years, to renew retirement extension.  She wants 800,000.  Something new?

I'm Canadian as well, but I don't know the rules as well as Ubon Joe. I can tell you that if you have regular income that you can prove at a Canadian consulate, they will issue you a proof of income letter. Take that to immigration you won't have to worry about further proof for an O/A, bank statements in Thailand etc. I have no idea about your dependents though. I'm in Chiang Mai, been here for over 15 years.  Good luck

34 minutes ago, gmmarvin said:

Joe:  Lady at Ubon Immigration will not accept 65,000 a month, for over two years, to renew retirement extension.  She wants 800,000.  Something new?

There is no new rule or requirement saying it is not allowed.

I assume you had proof of transfers into a Thai Bank from abroad.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It appears some their info on their website is not up to date. 

For getting non-o visas for being a member of your family the rules are not really clear on any website. The ones that are clearly listed is for family members of a person with a work permit.

The STV visa is certainly not a option.

Visa exempt or tourist visas for your children can be changed to a non-ed visa after they they are enrolled in a school.

Your wife would not be able to apply for a non-o visa for being their parent or as a member of your family at immigration.

If you children were able to enroll in a school before traveling they could get get non-ed visas from the embassy (see: https://ottawa.thaiembassy.org/en/content/119628-thailand-visa-and-coe?cate=5f069ee272a783584326eaf5) and your wife could get a non-o visa for being their parent.

I think you need to contact the embassy by and try to get some clear info from them

Ubonjoe,

Maybe not exactly the same question, but can foreign spouse and children "piggyback" on the other spouse retirement visa and extension?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, hapark said:

Maybe not exactly the same question, but can foreign spouse and children "piggyback" on the other spouse retirement visa and extension?

Yes they can apply for non-o visas and extensions of stay based upon being a member of the family of a person on an extension of stay based upon retirement.

9 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes they can apply for non-o visas and extensions of stay based upon being a member of the family of a person on an extension of stay based upon retirement.

1 - Are you saying that if OP enters Thailand with his 46-year old wife and 2 school-going daughters, all of them on VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa, and OP then applies for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, that once he got that one that both his wife and daughters would be able to apply for their Non Imm O Visa for reason of being a family-member of the OP?

2 - Additional question > Would they be able to do that if OP entered on a Non Imm O-A Visa or on a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (not sure if that one is available for Canadian citizens)?

8 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

1 - Are you saying that if OP enters Thailand with his 46-year old wife and 2 school-going daughters, all of them on VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa, and OP then applies for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, that once he got that one that both his wife and daughters would be able to apply for their Non Imm O Visa for reason of being a family-member of the OP?

No

I just wrote it general terms for applying for a visa at embassy or consulate in normal times and then the extensions at immigration.

8 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

2 - Additional question > Would they be able to do that if OP entered on a Non Imm O-A Visa or on a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (not sure if that one is available for Canadian citizens)?

In normal times it is the same as my reply for number 1.

18 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

You could enroll them in a Thai Language School for 3 or more months, pay and the school will send you the paperwork to get the visa from your Thai Consulate. 

Not possible. A language school is considered as a informal school. Visas and and certificates of entry can only be issued for formal schools.

10 hours ago, RexR said:

Proof of Income.

Can Canadian rental income be used? Lease agreements and bank statements.

IF so,  this be done inside Thailand, or only in Canada?

You can do a statutory declaration at the Canadian embassy to prove you income to apply for a extension of stay if you are Canadian.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can do a statutory declaration at the Canadian embassy to prove you income to apply for a extension of stay if you are Canadian.

When making use of that embassy issued income letter method, the income to be proven must be the equivalent of +65K monthly and/or +800K combined.  

Be aware that even with that embassy issued income letter, your local IO can still ask you to provide evidence of the SOURCE of that income, so make sure to bring the same evidence you provided the Canadian Embassy to get the income-letter when applying at your local IO in case they ask for it.

Archived