"Letter From Pu Yai Or Provincial Office" To Travel?"

OliverKlozerof

A guy told me he drove from upcountry to Rayong, but had to get a letter from the pu yai (village headman), before traveling. He said he wasn't stopped, but if he was, he'd have had to show this letter. He said, as I live in BKK, that I'd need to get a similar "letter" from the BKK provincial office in order to drive to Rayong. Has anyone heard of this letter? If yes, what is it, and what's required to get one? Thx

You do not need permission to travel to a highly controlled zone, if you are travelling from a less highly controlled zone. You must, however, have the Mor Chana app installed on your phone.

I know this from first hand experience as I visited Wattana district office in Bangkok to clarify the matter. The officer was very helpful and produced a written copy of the law controlling travel and highlighted the relevant sections.

On the other hand, you must have written permission to leave a highly controlled zone, which you obtain from the relevant provincial district office you want to leave from.

So in your specific case, you do not need permission to travel from Bangkok to Chonburi, but you must install Mor Chana on your phone before you leave.

Before you leave Chonburi you need to obtain written permission from the Chonburi district office. You will need to submit a copy of your passport at the Chonburi district office, as well as complete the application form.

On this occasion I would suggest taking your original passport with you just in case.

Here is the form you will need to complete to ask permission to leave a highly controlled zone:

Permission to Travel From a Highly Controlled Zone (1).pdf

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blackcab said:

You do not need permission to travel to a highly controlled zone, if you are travelling from a less highly controlled zone. You must, however, have the Mor Chana app installed on your phone.

I know this from first hand experience as I visited Wattana district office in Bangkok to clarify the matter. The officer was very helpful and produced a written copy of the law controlling travel and highlighted the relevant sections.

On the other hand, you must have written permission to leave a highly controlled zone, which you obtain from the relevant provincial district office you want to leave from.

So in your specific case, you do not need permission to travel from Bangkok to Chonburi, but you must install Mor Chana on your phone before you leave.

Before you leave Chonburi you need to obtain written permission from the Chonburi district office. You will need to submit a copy of your passport at the Chonburi district office, as well as complete the application form.

On this occasion I would suggest taking your original passport with you just in case.

Here is the form you will need to complete to ask permission to leave a highly controlled zone:

Permission to Travel From a Highly Controlled Zone.pdfUnavailable

Wow thanks a ton for that info. I already have Morchana and Thaichana apps in my phone. Will look at the form tomorrow when I turn on my computer. 

3 hours ago, blackcab said:

I thought this piece of law regarding the MorChana App was revoked?

So if I have no "smart"phone and I am not willing to buy one, I am now a prisoner of my province inside Thailand?

Can anyone else clarify this? I cannot believe this.

11 hours ago, HomeBirth said:

Can anyone else clarify this? I cannot believe this.

The law has not been revoked. Instead, the government has said that very poor people will not be punished if they cannot afford a smart phone on which to install the app.

If you are actually extremely poor then you can argue your case if you are stopped and questioned.

Let's end the discussion of the pros and cons of Mor Chana here, as this discussion is now going off topic.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, blackcab said:

Permission to Travel From a Highly Controlled Zone (1).pdfUnavailable

I’m in the sukhumvit district, completed ASQ, have the documents that show I completed it with the COVID tests, and I have Morchana installed on my phone (I can download thaichana too if need be). Is this sufficient to get into pattaya? 

1 hour ago, FalangJaiDee said:

I’m in the sukhumvit district, completed ASQ, have the documents that show I completed it with the COVID tests, and I have Morchana installed on my phone (I can download thaichana too if need be). Is this sufficient to get into pattaya? 

In your location, at the present time, all you need is Mor Chana installed on your phone before you travel.

• Thanks 1