Why vaccianate everybody instead of just 10-20%?

gafdtomaka366

4 hours ago, Pro1Expat said:

Do you have any idea how long normal testing takes for a vaccine? Obviously you dont but it is around 10 years after all the trials, evaluations and changes if and as required. Stop talking rubbish until you have done proper research. The BBC is not the place to get the information.

Just ask a virologist how long they take.

Much of the process involving vaccines involves bureaucratic delays... paper work. 

Additionally, many vaccines simply do not have the funds, the resources and the attention placed on them that this vaccine has. 

Additionally, existing research into SARS-CoV-1 and MERS was already existent and ongoing, the research into SARS-CoV-2 was already piggybacking on to that at the beginning of last year. 

Sure ask a Virologist how long it takes to research a normal vaccine of a brand new virus from scratch and his answer will of course be years.

However, this is not the case here - never before has such a spotlight been shone on a virus, a piece of paper hasn’t been sat on someones desk for 2 years waiting or a signature before its moved onto someone else’s desk etc...

This is not abnormally quick... It's just that the standard process for vaccine approval is abnormally slow. 

See this as reaching true potential rather than short cuts being taken... 

The only thing missing is long term trials - but much of the vaccine is similar to other vaccines.

The vaccines simply needed a little time not to test if they were dangerous, but to test if they are effective and that can happen over a shorter period of time. 

• Like 1

The quick answer is JUST BECAUSE, okay!   My cousins husband was in his early 

50s, in good shape, and died 3 weeks after getting Covid 19, my cousin who is in

her mid 40 and her children all recovered from being sick from Covid. She is still

having some troubles months later, and her daughter still complains that she

cannot run much anymore, or do a lot of exercise.  I have lost some older friends

who got sick and were dead less than a month later. I hear on the news every day

of people who take a long time to get over this virus.  So I hope that anyone who does

not get the vaccine, will not be allowed to travel outside of their country.  I am also glad

to see people getting arrested and fined for refusing to wear masks.  I do not want to

see a complete lock down where I live, so I hope that the majority of people in Alberta

act like adults and do their best to stay healthy.  In the USA, the new President is trying

to get them all vaccinated, and I hope that by the end of Summer or Fall, most of us in North America

will be vaccinated. 

Geezer

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Pro1Expat said:

Do you have any idea how long normal testing takes for a vaccine? Obviously you dont but it is around 10 years after all the trials, evaluations and changes if and as required. Stop talking rubbish until you have done proper research. The BBC is not the place to get the information.

Just ask a virologist how long they take.

I suspect you’re talking about not “testing” as such but vaccine development.

The Corona vaccines have been well into devopment since the SARS outbreak 15(?) years ago.

The researchers based upon this earlier work to accelerate the development of the new vaccines, surely even you can comprehend that ?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

In the USA, the new President is trying to get them all vaccinated, and I hope that by the end of Summer or Fall, most of us in North America will be vaccinated. 

That is a nice hope but very unlikely to be realised. Even now when there is a huge demand by some, many places are unable to organise using the vaccine they have, then once the mainstream have been vaccinated, and even then that’s likely to be after next Christmas you will still be left with the 30~60 million who don’t want, or adamantly refuse, a vaccine. With the B.1.1.7 variant and others similar to it becoming the dominant strain heard immunity needs more than the 80% originally thought to be enough.

it’s good to be optimistic and hopeful but that’s a bit too much.

38 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

I suspect you’re talking about not “testing” as such but vaccine development.

The Corona vaccines have been well into devopment since the SARS outbreak 15(?) years ago.

The researchers based upon this earlier work to accelerate the development of the new vaccines, surely even you can comprehend that ?

In addition I think you'll find that carrying out clinical studies has been accelerated and far easier purely because the world is in a pandemic, finding good volumes of volunteers in badly hit countries has not been a problem.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, simple1 said:

I

I understand some vaccines will not provide 100% guarantee one will not be infected, with further mitigation actions required during a pandemic. In the UK Covid infection rates and deaths are horrendous, (my daughter has spent the past three weeks recovering, still not over) so requires rigorous actions to get under control. As a comparison flu vaccines provide roughly 60% plus protection rates. WHO currently shows stats that flu vaccine keeps the worldwide fatality rate varying between 250k to 500k p.a.; without a vaccine the estimated annual fatality rate approx 2 million worldwide. During the past twelve months Covid has killed approx 2 million worldwide, (in the first year of emergence). Image how many would die p.a. once Covid is embedded within humanity, without vaccines, as it is far more virulent that the flu.

Thanks for explaining that and hopefully a speedy full recovery for your daughter ????

• Like 2

On 1/25/2021 at 11:58 AM, simple1 said:

Reason being non vaccinated children can be carriers and infect others in the community at great financial cost to government and those infected.

But how can those non vaccinated children infect others in the community if those others in the community have all been vaccinated? Genuine question - I'm not anti-vax. 

2 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

But how can those non vaccinated children infect others in the community if those others in the community have all been vaccinated? Genuine question - I'm not anti-vax. 

Not all people get vaccinated - e.g. there are still instances of measles

In Australia, many people have had two doses of measles vaccine, and most people born in 1965 or earlier have immunity from having had the disease. However, measles is easily spread and at least 95 per cent of people need to be vaccinated for there to be enough immunity across the population to stop spread and help protect those who cannot be vaccinated.

https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/ohp-measles-outbreaks-2019.htm

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Possibly because it depends on vaccine efficiency. None of the vaccine shots provide 100% protection

Fresh news reports on NPR saying blood from person's recovered from the UK variant was put in lab tests against the new Brazilian and S africa variants and the results were dramatic and not in a good way.    Also first case of the Brazil variant reported in Minnesota yesterday from a traveler who returned from Brazil earlier in Jan.  Lots of talk about limiting travel to stop the spread of new variants.  Sorry I don't have link to npr story about the efficacy drop as it was on radio.  

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/19/958472446/scientists-worry-about-coronavirus-variant-spreading-in-brazil

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/25/minnesota-confirms-first-known-us-case-of-more-contagious-covid-variant-originally-found-in-brazil.html. Moderna has booster to help against S Africa version. 

This efficacy drop may be ok when starting at 95% of the Pfizer. 

Edited by Elkski

On 1/26/2021 at 7:08 PM, CG1 Blue said:

There are always some people who can not get  vaccinated due to medical reasons, allergies etc. People who choose not to get vaccinated for non medical reasons are putting these innocent people at risk. Not that they care, they are selfish to the core.

• Like 2