Thai researcher describes process and after effects of her COVID-19 vaccination

webfact

Thai researcher describes process and after effects of her COVID-19 vaccination

Siriruk-Ch.jpg

Photo from Facebook Siriruk Ch

A person who is inoculated with COVID-19 vaccine can still become infected, so there is still a need to observe strict social distancing and wear face masks until the development of herd immunity, according to a Thai post-doctorate researcher at the University of Chicago.

The researcher, Dr. Siriruk Changrob, has received two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine. She talked to Thai PBS, in an online interview, about her condition following vaccination and offered some advice.

She received the first injection about 20 days ago. She then showed up for the second injection, as appointed, and was asked by the nurse about any side effects from the first jab and whether she had tested positive for the virus in the preceding 90 days.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-researcher-describes-process-and-after-effects-of-her-covid-19-vaccination/

Logo-top-.png

17 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Could have asked my mum! She's 91 and received her second dose of the same vaccine in the UK on 6th Jan. Sore arm for a couple of days, thats it!

She said "...Dr. Siriruk said, adding that the vaccine only protects a person from developing symptoms and does not protect a person from becoming infected by the virus. 

Question for the experts (not the laymen) 'Is this a correct comment?'  

• Like 2

Is she a front line worker?  Over 65?  "Reseacher" seems marginal risk.   I'm acquainted with a guy that works IT for a hospital system. 100% remote work never goes into a medical facility.  Got his first injection January 4.  When I asked how he was able to get it so soon the he tells me "I got an email maybe I wasn't supposed to get requesting I schedule an appointment."  Then this dirtbag had the nerve to post on Facebook "got my covid injection to help keep patients safe."

42 minutes ago, scorecard said:

She said "...Dr. Siriruk said, adding that the vaccine only protects a person from developing symptoms and does not protect a person from becoming infected by the virus. 

Question for the experts (not the laymen) 'Is this a correct comment?'  

Yes that is correct.

The article in the OP is about the Pfizer vaccine, which I understand won’t be used in Thailand.

There’s another very interesting article from the same source (ThaiPBSWorld) here about India where their huge vaccine push using a locally produced version of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine (which I understand will be used in Thailand), is faltering due to fear of side effects:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/tears-and-fears-as-indias-huge-coronavirus-vaccine-push-falters/

“There are about 80 students in my batch but only two have opted to get the shot,” said nursing student Sakshi Sharma, 21, in Greater Noida.

“My friends are saying there will be side effects, that you can even get paralysis.”

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, scorecard said:

So anybody can get the virus and get sick/very sick completely regardless of whether they've had the vaccination or not.

So what's the benefit of having the vaccination?

The vaccine is effective for a certain percentage of those who take it, be that 70% or whatever and as a result you should not get any symptoms. However what is not fully gauged yet in any studies is whether even if you've had the vaccine you go on then to get the virus albeit without symptoms and still pass it onto others. Similar to those covid carriers who are asymptomatic and have not had the vaccine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Is she a front line worker?  Over 65?  "Reseacher" seems marginal risk.   I'm acquainted with a guy that works IT for a hospital system. 100% remote work never goes into a medical facility.  Got his first injection January 4.  When I asked how he was able to get it so soon the he tells me "I got an email maybe I wasn't supposed to get requesting I schedule an appointment."  Then this dirtbag had the nerve to post on Facebook "got my covid injection to help keep patients safe."

Happens daily in Austria.

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

So anybody can get the virus and get sick/very sick completely regardless of whether they've had the vaccination or not.

What she wanted to convey is that even once people are vaccinated, they can still aquire and pass the virus onto others who are not yet vaccinated.

But there are encouraging reports that some vaccines may also prevent further transmission.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/19/pfizer-vaccine-may-prevent-transmission-coronavirus-others-israeli/

• Like 1

Whaddyaknow. A Thai citizen and foreign researcher in the US (I assume, as she seems to be identified in this story) is getting an advanced Covid vaccine right along with American citizens. Will Americans be treated the same way in Thailand.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, me4175 said:

What she wanted to convey is that even once people are vaccinated, they can still aquire and pass the virus onto others who are not yet vaccinated.

But there are encouraging reports that some vaccines may also prevent further transmission.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/19/pfizer-vaccine-may-prevent-transmission-coronavirus-others-israeli/

From above:

"What she wanted to convey is that even once people are vaccinated, they can still aquire and pass the virus onto others who are not yet vaccinated.

But there are encouraging reports that some vaccines may also prevent further transmission."

This is what I understood from the many previous reports in many different media over the last several months.

What a shame that a young lady with such knowledge and qualifications explained it in a way that sounds like it's nothing more than valueless. 

3 hours ago, itsari said:

The Swedish government has admitted that the herd immunity experiment has cost more lives to covid 19 than there neighboring countries . 

The Swedish government has admitted they got the protection of nursing homes (where most of the deaths occurred) wrong.  Their death toll is lower than other European countries that imposed strict lockdowns.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

You get your digital passport so you can be tracked but you will then become a fully accepted individual to society with access to all public places....for now.

• Sad 1

Just now, SupermarineS6B said:

Not a chance in hell.......    My friends Thai girlfriend had to go to hospital in England and was scared how much it was going to cost, she was shocked when they fixed her up and sent her home...... No charge.....  Have a nice day..... That's what's so annoying about all this so called debt for treating foreigners in Thai hospitals.....   Maybe Britain should send Thailand the figures for treating Thais and ask Thailand to do the same for British people...... Ooooh no.......  

Not to mention things like schooling. K-12 free for Thais in the US. Even if they are there illegally. And even if illegal they can also get university scholarships and loans from some states.

6 hours ago, Scot123 said:

And there you have it! The big con goes on. Everyone was led to believe getting the  vaccine would = normality what a lie that was. Looks like the uk under lockup till earliest 17th June (15th February was an other lie). We hear herd immunity a phrase used in the very beginning and dismissed in favour of lockup. So dear Thailand stop thinking that a vaccine is the light as there is no light. Looks like Sweeden has had the right idea from the start. This begs the question why risk a vaccine that's been rushed out in months and not years? What are the benifits because now all I see is the risks.

100% !   Fling the doors open before the place sinks.......  

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Whaddyaknow. A Thai citizen and foreign researcher in the US (I assume, as she seems to be identified in this story) is getting an advanced Covid vaccine right along with American citizens. Will Americans be treated the same way in Thailand.

Nope

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

I'm sure any falang in Thailand working on the covid frontline will be afforded the same. 

7 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

Yes, the vaccine does not prevent a person from acquiring the virus and becoming a carrier. It should in most cases prevent a carrier from becoming infectious but no guarantee. Ultimately it's to prevent a person from becoming seriously ill because your body should have developed antibodies. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I'm sure any falang in Thailand working on the covid frontline will be afforded the same. 

The OP and link to the Thai PBS article only mentioned her being "a researcher." There was no mention to her being involved with Covid research or "working on the covid frontline." And even if she is a "researcher" in Covid that doesn't make her "frontline" and doesn't entitle her to take the place of an age or condition vulnerable person, does it? I still have several American friends at Mahidol, where I used to work, "researchers" one and all. They have not been told of any plan for them to get a place in the Covid vaccination plan. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, John Drake said:

The OP and link to the Thai PBS article only mentioned her being "a researcher." There was no mention to her being involved with Covid research or "working on the covid frontline." And even if she is a "researcher" in Covid that doesn't make her "frontline" and doesn't entitle her to take the place of an age or condition vulnerable person, does it? I still have several American friends at Mahidol, where I used to work, "researchers" one and all. They have not been told of any plan for them to get a place in the Covid vaccination plan. 

It's true the article makes no mention of what she actually does but "if" her research does put her at the frontline she maybe entitled to a vaccine but being young and healthy I wouldn't put her in front of people more vulnerable in fact if it was me I would be morally bound to refuse it.So I would question her acceptance of the vaccine.I'm not saying she deserves to be infront of anyone I'm saying if any falangs on the frontline here in Thailand would probably be offered the vaccine.

• Like 1