Trump's coming impeachment trial aggravates rift among Republicans

webfact

8 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I frequently go to Fox to see how the day is being viewed by those who rarely think like I do and this explains the picture clearly. One point I have finally understood out of all of this. I personally need to LISTEN.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Marco just doesn't get it.

It's not about removing a man from office that has already gone.

It's about the Republican party ensuring it's survival by not having to compete against a rabid Trumpist party and trying to save a scrap of its remaining credibility.

Watch 'em mess it all up.

As an ardent Independent I actually clamor for Republican speak. I will never ever listen to a trump follower. I am too smart to fall for it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

trump has been kicked from the white house, nonetheless many republicans  fear him because he remains a spiteful kingmaker

There's more to it than that. He now has a new clever tactic. Threaten to create his own Maga or "Patriot" party and basically murder the republican party splitting the more right wing vote. Whether he's serious or not isn't the point. It's a very potent threat! 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ExpatOK said:

Agree. If President Trump runs in 2024 in a fair election, he will win. His supporters know this; his enemies know this. And if his enemies can't throw him in jail, they will resort to other means.

Yes, President Trump was considered a clown by the elites such as Pelosi. Now she and her ilk are obviously terrified of him.

Why do you mention " in a fair election"?

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

2016 will never happen again.  Back then, Trump was an unknown quantity who had convinced everyone he was a great businessman (Apprentice).  A lot of people took a chance on him.  But 4 years later, everyone knows what Trump is about.  Yes, there are Republicans who will never vote for a Democrat.  But they are vastly outnumbered.  Trump may get the Republican nomination, but he will never win a general election again.  Heck, just look at the 2020 election...even before the insurrection.

It's impossible to predict the political mood so far in advance.

I think Mr  Trump lost mostly because of his pandemic response.

Four years from now there will be different priorities and it might be Kamala Harris running instead of Biden. Don't underestimate the appeal of white nationalism to a large segment of the population. Not saying its likely Mr  trump will be president again but its foolish to judge it impossible unless he's banned from politics or imprisoned 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

but its foolish to judge it impossible unless he's banned from politics or imprisoned

I'd leave the "or" off. There is already a precedent for someone running from inside prison; I don't see him being in prison a determining factor to his cult following.

• Like 1

Just now, Salerno said:

I'd leave the "or" off. There is already a precedent for someone running from inside prison; I don't see him being in prison a determining factor to his cult following.

You're right. I had to look this up but it turns out a convicted felon is eligible to run for president. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

This is enough to justify impeachment.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/22/politics/trump-doj-attorney-plan-replace-acting-ag-false-election-claims/index.html

New York Times: Trump and DOJ attorney had plan to replace his acting AG and undo Georgia election result

Justice Department lawyer Jeffrey Clark nearly convinced then-President Donald Trump to remove then-acting Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen and use the Department of Justice to undo Georgia's election results, The New York Times reported Friday.

Clark -- who appealed to the former President's false claims of election fraud -- met with Trump earlier this month and told Rosen following the meeting that the then-President was going to replace him with Clark. Clark would then move to keep Congress from certifying the election results in then-President-elect Joe Biden's favor, according to the paper.

Well I have not read all your links, so forgive me if I am missing something.

But just from what you have posted, it seems obvious to me that if as you say "'Justice Department lawyer Jeffrey Clark nearly convinced then-President Donald Trump to remove then-acting Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen and use the Department of Justice to undo Georgia's election results".

Hardly seems to justify impeachment, having someone fail to convince you do do something?

Don't you think?

Edited by PattayaJames
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Its all about politics, not law or justice, it's theater for the plebs. Trump will not be impeached in the Senate, or it would be most certainly the end of the Republican party. Trump would make a serious effort to start a third party, and even if he cant run for office anymore, it would bleed enough votes from the Republican party that the Dems would be able to walk all over them in every coming election. The Republicans have a lot of stupid leaders, but insane they are not, their survival instinct will prevail.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Republicans want to give a pass to a president that encouraged insurrection? An insurrection that they saw with their very own eyes? An insurrection that not only claimed five lives, but, imperiled some Republican members?

Do they know the meaning of the word Accountability and Consequences?

I hope TRump starts his own party and splits the right-wing vote so that they can never come to power again. Stick that where the sun don't shine Lindsay Graham and Mitch McConnell, the enablers in chief.

Here ya go

Donald Trump’s new Patriot Party plans to destroy his enemies among the Republican party with a $70 million war chest. This is how.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/us-politics/donald-trumps-patriot-party-plans-to-destroy-republicans/news-story/fb2fad849d33ef5e637fd4a7fd4b34c6

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You're right. I had to look this up but it turns out a convicted felon is eligible to run for president. 

Trump cant win from prison. He is banned from twitter, insta, fb etc. He would have no avenue to spout his racist tropes.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

A post containing false or misleading information has been removed.  Here's from Biden's remarks:

“Our focus will be on small businesses on Main Street that aren’t wealthy and well-connected, that are facing real economic hardships through no fault of their own,” Biden says. “Our priority will be Black, Latino, Asian and Native American-owned small businesses, women-owned businesses, and finally having equal access to resources needed to reopen and rebuild. But we’re going to make a concerted effort to help small businesses in low-income communities in big cities, small towns and rural communities that have faced systematic barriers to relief.”

https://news.yahoo.com/fact-check-biden-said-plans-032010894.html

Continue and face a suspension. 

1 hour ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Here ya go

Donald Trump’s new Patriot Party plans to destroy his enemies among the Republican party with a $70 million war chest. This is how.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/us-politics/donald-trumps-patriot-party-plans-to-destroy-republicans/news-story/fb2fad849d33ef5e637fd4a7fd4b34c6

It’s already been filed with the election commission apparently: https://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/forms/C00767251/1490249

• Like 2