Lost my retirement visa today ... anyone else?

As pointed out above, there is little reason for you the have extension based on retirement or marriage.

You could have just been coming on visa exempt (with extension) or tourist visa.

BTW if you want a non o, you can just enter visa exempt an obtain a non o at imm. Presumably your Thai bank a/c is in place so simple process to obtain your 12 month extension

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

You are married so could easily obtain a Non-Immigrant type O, Single Entry (90 days)  based on Marriage.

Or a Tourist Visa... 

Apply online www.thaievisa.go.th

Or simply a Visa Exempt (if you are only staying 1 month or less, otherwise - it may be hassle you don’t want in the middle of your stay if you want to extend that).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Just get a tourist visa next time, 60 days + extend 30 days if you need it

It could be that he got the extension back when some immigration officers at airports were incorrectly denying entry with many tourist visa and visa exempt entries.

Another option other than a extension might be a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage. As far as I know the embassy and official consulates are still issuing them.

1 hour ago, cbmgolfer said:

Only one time have I spent more than 45 days in the kingdom, and never more than 90 days

As others have said a regular 90 day visa based on marriage is easy & what I use since we left Thailand

Cost only $80 at any US Thai Consulate & is easy to get. In the rare chance you need more you can also extend it within Thailand if need be

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa/visa-type/non-immigration-visa-category-o/

Edited by meechai

seems like a lot of trouble and unnecessary paperwork when you can enter with a visa waiver and get 45 days.

if an extension of the visa waiver is possible, that's still a much easier process compared to renewing a permission of stay.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or simply a Visa Exempt (if you are only staying 1 month or less, otherwise - it may be hassle you don’t want in the middle of your stay if you want to extend that).

Applying for a 30-day extension to your 45-day permission to stay VisaExempt entry is no hassle at all.  You only need to ensure that the place where you are staying has issued a TM-30 of you staying there (when staying in a Hotel or guesthouse they do that for you - reason they ask for your passport to do the on-line TM-30 notification).  Like any extension it costs 1.900 THB and is the 'easiest money ever' for Imm offices as there are no other requirements to be fulfilled for such 30-day extension of your VisaExempt entry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cbmgolfer said:

Thanks for all the replies ... to clarify, there was a time when I was entering Thailand 2-4 times per month for short stays.  They started hassling farangs that entered Thailand a lot.  I got questioned a few times.  The retirement visa made things easier and the money in the bank requirement was no big issue.  

I was also ... at the time ... silly enough to think that being married to a Thai would gain you some deference with the thai government.  The  long term visa seemed like a good idea.

going forward, will likely just do tourist visa until I actually retire.  Then I will need a longer term option and will evaluate what is the best option at that point.

An important point that can easily trip you up. You didn’t have a visa to loose. You had an extension of stay to loose.

in general (there are exceptions) embassies and consulates can only issue visas, immigration in Thailand issues extension of stay the exceptions (visa issued by immigration) are not rare but have conditions that are different to the regular extension of stay.

The importance of using the correct term ( visa, or extension of stay ) is that the rules are different, so advice is different.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

An important point that can easily trip you up. You didn’t have a visa to loose. You had an extension of stay to loose.

in general (there are exceptions) embassies and consulates can only issue visas, immigration in Thailand issues extension of stay the exceptions (visa issued by immigration) are not rare but have conditions that are different to the regular extension of stay.

The importance of using the correct term ( visa, or extension of stay ) is that the rules are different, so advice is different.

Semantics. When someone uses the term "retirement visa"... most everyone here knows what is meant and implied. The term is well and widely used and understood. The term pedantic seems correct just about now. ????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cbmgolfer said:

Will be interesting to see how it goes when we can actually get back into Thailand.  Not looking forward to the paperwork and fees.

Not difficult, a non-immigrant O-visa and same procedure for extension of stay, as you have done in the past years. Fees are 1,900 baht for extension of stay and 3,800 baht for multiple re-entry. You'll need to pay a few hundred bath to your Thai bank for letter and 3 months authorized statement of you deposit account.

And yes, also in my opinion "retirement extension" is more easy than "marriage extension"...????

The entire system has overcomplicated itself.

This again is the problem with "biting the hand that feeds"  Too many schemes and scams.

To the OP, as several have mentioned....Go to an embassy in the USA.  Bring a few bucks, put on a suit, bring front and second page of house book, your passport and your Thai marriage license. 

Done

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Semantics. When someone uses the term "retirement visa"... most everyone here knows what is meant and implied. The term is well and widely used and understood. The term pedantic seems correct just about now. ????

Oh dear. There is always one trying to confuse things.

This forum would be much better off without people like you.

Edited by fishtank

55 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

A Non O Visa is valid for 90 days, single 90 day entry, 'used' as soon as you enter.

A Non O ME Visa is valid for 12 months, each entry grants 90 days, 'used' on the Visa expiry date.

A Non Imm O-A Visa is valid for 12 months, each entry grants 1 year, 'used' on the Visa expiry date.

So the first two "Non"s aren't short for "Non-Imm"? (Apparently that's what "Non" is in "Non Ed visa".)

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, onebir said:

So the first two "Non"s aren't short for "Non-Imm"? (Apparently that's what "Non" is in "Non Ed visa".)

Apart from Tourist Visas, Thailand only offer Non Immigrant type Visas.

Slight omission on the first two, but if you know of any other type of Non O's that aren't Non Immigrant type Visas, I'd be pleased to hear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Apart from Tourist Visas, Thailand only offer Non Immigrant type Visas.

Slight omission on the first two, but if you know of any other type of Non O's that aren't Non Immigrant type Visas, I'd be pleased to hear.

Ok just clarifying! In short "Non" in a visa title can always be read "Non Immigrant" (or "Non Imm")?

• Thanks 1