Lost my retirement visa today ... anyone else?

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It could be that he got the extension back when some immigration officers at airports were incorrectly denying entry with many tourist visa and visa exempt entries.

Another option other than a extension might be a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage. As far as I know the embassy and official consulates are still issuing them.

Is a single entry non-o visa based on marriage good for 6 months or one year?  Thanks in advance ubonjoe. 

8 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

Is a single entry non-o visa based on marriage good for 6 months or one year?  Thanks in advance ubonjoe. 

Valid to enter Thailand 3 months from the date of issue.

On entry granted 90 days permission of stay. You can extend that 90 day permission of stay by a further 60 days based on Thai wife.

You can also extend it for a further 1 year, if you meet the financial requirements.

14 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

Gerard the post from Tanoshi above has your options covered.

Personally my thinking is if you can satisfy the financials (which are modest) then obtain 12 month extension. Especially in uncertain times.

22 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Valid to enter Thailand 3 months from the date of issue.

On entry granted 90 days permission of stay. You can extend that 90 day permission of stay by a further 60 days based on Thai wife.

You can also extend it for a further 1 year, if you meet the financial requirements.

Thank you very much for the info.  How much is the financial requirement for 1 year?  Is it 400k or 800k and for how long? How much is it for the extension?  Thank you very much for your help and valuable information.

7 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

Thank you very much for the info.  How much is the financial requirement for 1 year?  Is it 400k or 800k and for how long? How much is it for the extension?  Thank you very much for your help and valuable information.

400,000 Baht in the bank for a period of 2 months before application.

The fee is 1,900 baht.

9 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

A marriage extension needs 400k a “retirement” extension needs 800k the extension is 1,900 the funds need to be in the bank for at least 60 days on the day you apply 

14 minutes ago, fishtank said:

400,000 Baht in the bank for a period of 2 months before application.

The fee is 1,900 baht.

Some immigration offices also require you to maintain the 400k in bank during the under consideration period. Best policy is not to touch it until the final approval.

23 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

As already stated, the financial requirement for a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage is 400K THB deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months on the date of application.

Note you can apply up to 30 days in advance of your current permission of stay ending.

Entering on a Non O Visa allows 90 days to open a bank account and have the 400K season for the required 2 months, or, you can apply for a 60 day extension beforehand to grant you more time.

All extension applications regardless of whether for 30,60, 90 or 365 days are 1,900 BHT.

16 minutes ago, blowin said:

Great information thanks everyone. I was going to enter on a OA visa but now O visa as I am married with a son and we plan to live full time in Thailand .

O-A is essentially for retirement purposes.

Non O to enter for marriage purposes, then you can directly apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage subject to meeting the financial requirement. (No health insurance requirement).

52 minutes ago, blowin said:

Great information thanks everyone. I was going to enter on a OA visa but now O visa as I am married with a son and we plan to live full time in Thailand .

When you are planning to stay long-term in Thailand when over 50 years of age, there is no doubt in my mind that starting of with a Non Imm O-A Visa is the very best available option, as it will provide you with almost 2-years of IO  hassle-free stay in Thailand and does not require you to park or transfer funds on a Thai bank-account during those 2 years.

Contrary to the common narrative, the mandatory health-insurance requirement when applying for that Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country (or country of permanent residence) is neither difficult nor expensive to subscribe to. 

Feel free to PM if you are interested in a Guideline document for long-stay in Thailand when over +50 years of age, addressing in full detail all options and associated requirements.

Thanks for reply. I actually have already moved 800k into my Thai bank just to cover my options. The health insurance I will do anyway as being 60 its something I believe you need in Thailand . I dont understand regarding not needing

funds ?

11 minutes ago, blowin said:

Thanks for reply. I actually have already moved 800k into my Thai bank just to cover my options. The health insurance I will do anyway as being 60 its something I believe you need in Thailand . I dont understand regarding not needing

funds ?

1 - There was no need to already transfer funds to your personal Thai bank-account, but if you did it already you can use the evidence of having transferred those funds

- when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country OR

- when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at your local IO after having arrived in Thailand Visa Exempt or on a 60-day Tourist Visa.

2 - Currently everybody entering Thailand needs a 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment coverage insurance, that at least covers the permission to stay period you will receive when entering Thailand.

When applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa on top of that 100.000 US $ covid-19 coverage insurance you ALSO need a 400K/40K in/out-patient health-insurance policy, and currently that additional insurance requirement is also imposed when applying for a Non Imm O Visa or an STV in your home-country (if your home-country offers those options).

3 - When entering Thailand on a Non Imm O-A Visa you will get stamped in for a 1 year permission to stay, and by exiting/re-entering Thailand before your 1-year Visa validity expires you will be stamped in for an additional 12 months permission to stay.  During those 2 years there is NO need to visit a local Immigration Office to apply for a 1-year extension of stay, and there is NO need during those 2 years to park or transfer funds to a Thai personal bank-account to meet Immigration requirements.

>> All of the above is explained more extensively addressing all possible options/requirements in the Guideline document I have PM-ed you. 

13 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

1 - There was no need to already transfer funds to your personal Thai bank-account, but if you did it already you can use the evidence of having transferred those funds

- when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country OR

- when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at your local IO after having arrived in Thailand Visa Exempt or on a 60-day Tourist Visa.

2 - Currently everybody entering Thailand needs a 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment coverage insurance, that at least covers the permission to stay period you will receive when entering Thailand.

When applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa on top of that 100.000 US $ covid-19 coverage insurance you ALSO need a 400K/40K in/out-patient health-insurance policy, and currently that additional insurance requirement is also imposed when applying for a Non Imm O Visa or an STV in your home-country (if your home-country offers those options).

3 - When entering Thailand on a Non Imm O-A Visa you will get stamped in for a 1 year permission to stay, and by exiting/re-entering Thailand before your 1-year Visa validity expires you will be stamped in for an additional 12 months permission to stay.  During those 2 years there is NO need to visit a local Immigration Office to apply for a 1-year extension of stay, and there is NO need during those 2 years to park or transfer funds to a Thai personal bank-account to meet Immigration requirements.

>> All of the above is explained more extensively addressing all possible options/requirements in the Guideline document I have PM-ed you. 

Thank you so much Peter for all the information. I can see you have gone to a lot of trouble to produce thank you.

7 hours ago, blowin said:

Contrary to Peter's opinion, with the above your plan, I would definitely obtain the Non O Visa for entry to Thailand, then obtain extensions based on marriage requiring only the 400K THB.

With the O-A you'll be straddled with the compulsory Health Insurance requirement from one of the Thai approved companies for each and every extension application.

6 hours ago, blowin said:

The health insurance I will do anyway as being 60 its something I believe you need in Thailand .

At least by entering on a Non O you'll be free to choose a policy with whoever you choose, rather than forced into one of Thai company policies which are overpriced for the cover received.

6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Have to question you on that one Peter.

The Health Insurance 400/40K policy is not required for a Non O application, or for entry into Thailand on a Non O Visa, or at least according to the Thai Embassy, London.

From the e-visa application website:

Official Website of Thailand Electronic Visa (thaievisa.go.th)

Non-Immigrant O

Visiting friends and family

Family of a Thai national (Immediate family includes spouse and children)

(Please check relevant embassy/ consulate's website for specifically required documents)

• 1. Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months.
  • 2. Photograph of the applicant, taken within the past six months.
  • 3. Financial evidence (e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party).
  • 4. Proof of relationship to a family in Thailand.
  • Spouse of a Thai national
  • Marriage certificate
  • A copy of a ID card of a Thai spouse
  • Children of a Thai national / Legally adopted child of a Thai national
  • Birth Certificate / Certificate of adoption
  • A copy of a ID card of a Thai parent
  • Parent of a Thai national
  • Birth Certificate / Certificate of adoption
  • A copy of a ID card of a Thai children
  • Details of accommodation in Thailand
  • Travel Booking confirmation

And from the Embassy website:

Required documents:

Non-Immigrant Type (Visiting or staying with applicant's family resided in Thailand (more than 60 days) - single entry only)

• Proof of relationship to a family in Thailand, e.g. a copy of marriage certificate / birth certificate / certificate of adoption
  • Personal details of a family in Thailand, e.g. ID card, Passport and the visa page or stay permit in Thailand
  • Proof of accommodation in Thailand e.g. hotel bookings, invitation letters from family/friends in Thailand
  • Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland
  •  
  • Non-Immigrant Type (Retirement (pensioner aged 50 or above with a state pension who wants to stay in Thailand for no longer than 90 days) - single entry only)
  •  
  • Financial evidence e.g. A copy of pension statement if the applicant is a pensioner, or a copy of 1-month bank statement showing your income from pension, or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000
  • Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland

Non-Immigrant visas - Royal Thai Embassy, London

On 1/25/2021 at 6:47 AM, cbmgolfer said:

Will be interesting to see how it goes when we can actually get back into Thailand.  Not looking forward to the paperwork and fees.

Can't speak for everywhere but in Pattaya, the yearly extension of a Non-Imm O visa for retirement is easy and quick...not including the stop at the bank, it takes around 30 minutes or less.

7 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Have to question you on that one Peter.

The Health Insurance 400/40K policy is not required for a Non O application, or for entry into Thailand on a Non O Visa, or at least according to the Thai Embassy, London.

Hi Tanoshi,

In order to apply for the CoE the Health Insurance 400/40K policy is now ALSO required when applying for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement

The requirement is somewhat 'hidden' on the London Thai Embassy website, but here is the link:

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

7. For long-stay retirement visa holders (Non-Immigrant O/O-A/O-X) for people over 50 years old

Copy of health insurance policy which covers medical treatment in Thailand (non-COVID-19 diseases) for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht for the whole period of your stay in Thailand

- Copy of health insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand

Hi Peter,

I think you missed the point I was making.

16 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

You stated above that the Health Insurance was required for the Non O. (No mention of on what basis).

That was in reply to @blowinwho would apply for the Non O based on marriage or Thai child, not retirement, so the below extract from the website that you provided (which I've previously read) wouldn't apply in his case.

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

7. For long-stay retirement visa holders (Non-Immigrant O/O-A/O-X) for people over 50 years old

Copy of health insurance policy which covers medical treatment in Thailand (non-COVID-19 diseases) for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht for the whole period of your stay in Thailand

- Copy of health insurance that covers COVID-19 related medical expenses, both inpatient and outpatient, no less than 100,000 USD for the whole period of your stay in Thailand

Re the above extract, it's very misleading. The clue here is in the words 'long stay' retirement Visa holders.

The Non O single 90 day entry Visa is not a 'long stay' Visa. Only the O-A and O-X are classed as 'long stay' (1 year on entry) type Visas.

It's ambiguously written, but what it means is Non Imm long stay class O Visas O-A/O-X are subject to requiring the compulsory Health Insurance.

There has already been a number of posts from returning expats acquiring the Non O on the basis of retirement detailing their experience and the Health Insurance requirement was never listed, only the Covid Insurance. Furthermore, I have a friend preparing his return now, who has emailed the London Embassy on this very question and their reply was not required for the Non O.

Archived