Pattaya: Twenty nine party goers busted smoking shisha after hours

webfact

Pattaya: Twenty nine party goers busted smoking shisha after hours

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Several dozen Thai and foreign party goers were surprised when the Bang Lamung district chief Amnat Charoensri and Pattaya station chief Pol Col Phisit Phoonsap turned up late Saturday night.

They were not there to party - they were with other DOPA officers to break up an illegal after hours booze and shisha party.

Twenty nine were carrying on as if there was no emergency decree, no fear of Covid, reported Daily News.

It was a tall premises in Moo 9 where the first three floors were shut up but the action was on floors four and five.

Eighteen pipes were taken into evidence along with a quantity of fruit flavored shisha tobacco. Smoking of shisha like this was made illegal after the coup and now it is even more villified due to the possible spread of Covid.

On the fifth floor the raiding party, called in by an informant, found a locked office, documents and a CCTV monitoring system.

All participants were booked for breaking the emergency rules and the owner will face charges for opening after hours and serving shisha.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-25

• Haha 1

Perhaps our new police chief here in Pattaya is different? For years many bars at the Tree Town area offered Sisha and promoted this even with photos of smoking customers on their Facebook site. Nobody cared and this area is not far away from the main police station. 

• Like 1

When we would walk down Nana to go and listen to music, just before Hilary 1 was a Indian restaurant where they would always be hawking food and Shisha. Even as of this Sunday they were still outside Hawking it as usual, so not afraid of the law apparently.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

yeah... listen to music. right...

Oh your a funny man.....no playing around as I like my man parts.  Hilary 1 has live music, not a canned system or just a DJ.  3 bands play there between 8 pm and midnight.  We eat dinner as they have an actual restaurant inside and outside with the bar area off and stage off to the middle.  The Location used to called Johnny Walkers many years ago., It also happens to be the last establishment on Nana before you continue to all of the higher end hotels before the road dead ends.

Interesting why they wouldn't be simply arrested for having a party after hours.

Whilst I agree that sharing Shisha isn't a good idea, neither is smoking. However, vaping would be perfectly acceptable in my limited way of thinking. Obviously we must consider the business of the Tobacco Monopoly, and of the FDA - America leads the way in demonising healthier alternatives to Tobacco.

2 hours ago, Henk Langeweg said:

Not much left of Happiness in Thailand ...

I see absolutely no police taking action inside gated Moobahns anywhere - you can smoke your shisha, gamble and drink as much as you like and then drive your ancient cloud belching bus up and down the soi as long as you're not too drunk to get it started. 

No problems with that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Oh your a funny man.....no playing around as I like my man parts.  Hilary 1 has live music, not a canned system or just a DJ.  3 bands play there between 8 pm and midnight.  We eat dinner as they have an actual restaurant inside and outside with the bar area off and stage off to the middle.  The Location used to called Johnny Walkers many years ago., It also happens to be the last establishment on Nana before you continue to all of the higher end hotels before the road dead ends.

Thanks for the history and geography lesson. I know the Hilary 1 well and have their gold discount card to show for it.

Some of my more memorable 3-somes have come from a live music night at Hilary 1.

PS: Not a whole lot of "higher end" at the Ibis, Woraburi or Boss Suites IMHO.

Edited by NanLaew
sp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, burner2014 said:

Do you guys think this Shisha Ban will stay forever?
I mean it's clear the tabacoo industry is the main driver for it, but why not just make great taxes off the shisha tabacoo?

Following this topic for years, there were never any update on this.

Look who instigated the ban and there's your answer about how long it will last.

5 hours ago, burner2014 said:

Do you guys think this Shisha Ban will stay forever?
I mean it's clear the tabacoo industry is the main driver for it, but why not just make great taxes off the shisha tabacoo?

Following this topic for years, there were never any update on this.

I think the ban came about because the tobacco was not being imported through normal, taxable channels, but was being hand carried in.

6 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

The big mistake and the reason arrested reading the headline was it was after hours. Would have been OK earlier in the evening.

There is no after hours. We don't have a curfew. But I don't understand the happiness these people found there. Perhaps I am too old already. Sadly or fortunately many things change with age. 

14 hours ago, Oldie said:

Perhaps our new police chief here in Pattaya is different? For years many bars at the Tree Town area offered Sisha and promoted this even with photos of smoking customers on their Facebook site. Nobody cared and this area is not far away from the main police station. 

Shisha raids have been common in Pattaya for some years now, thankfully. The use of shisha was very common and whole areas, sois between WS and second Rd, stank of the stuff. The raid in the above article was an anti covid gathering raid and not an anti Shoshanna raid as such.

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Look who instigated the ban and there's your answer about how long it will last.

Its extremely unhealthy.  That's why it's banned. Anybody who has worked in the ME knows and dreads the stink of Shisha. A GG bar on Soi 15 WS had shisha. Not only did the club smell vile but the beer tasted of shisha. BTW. All the dancers were plump including the blonde in skimpy tatty keks.

3 hours ago, Nout said:

Its extremely unhealthy.

Heard/read people claiming one shisha is equivalent to 100 cigarettes but I think that's overly exaggerated. Probably more realistic:

Compared to a cigarette, in an average waterpipe session you inhale:

• 2-3 times the amount of nicotine
  • 25 times the amount of tar
  • Up to 50 times the amount of lead

https://www.quit.org.au/resources/multicultural-groups/explainer-shisha-pipes-vs-cigarettes/

3 hours ago, Nout said:

Anybody who has worked in the ME knows and dreads the stink of Shisha.

Bit of an exaggeration there IMO. Can't say I've worked in the ME, but on trips there never heard anyone say that, any comments where positive especially when comparing to cigarette smokers.

18 hours ago, Oldie said:

The first thing a new cop does is to eliminate all the competition while setting-up his own network of underground businesses.

• Like 1