Pattaya: Twenty nine party goers busted smoking shisha after hours

webfact

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

Bit of an exaggeration there IMO. Can't say I've worked in the ME, but on trips there never heard anyone say that, any comments where positive especially when comparing to cigarette smokers.

Never felt it was worse than regular cigarette stink..... 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 1:24 PM, burner2014 said:

Do you guys think this Shisha Ban will stay forever?
I mean it's clear the tabacoo industry is the main driver for it, but why not just make great taxes off the shisha tabacoo?

Following this topic for years, there were never any update on this.

Its banned in Jordan and many ME establishment do not allow it. It smells dreadful and is terrible for your health.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Nout said:

Its banned in Jordan

Why do you keep posting "fake news" (and OT)?

It's a covid-10 restriction in Jordan (along with normal cigarettes and vaping), not a ban in the same way as Thailand.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 9:55 PM, Salerno said:
On 1/25/2021 at 6:47 PM, Nout said:

Its extremely unhealthy.

Heard/read people claiming one shisha is equivalent to 100 cigarettes but I think that's overly exaggerated. Probably more realistic:

Compared to a cigarette, in an average waterpipe session you inhale:

• 2-3 times the amount of nicotine
  • 25 times the amount of tar
  • Up to 50 times the amount of lead

https://www.quit.org.au/resources/multicultural-groups/explainer-shisha-pipes-vs-cigarettes/

On 1/25/2021 at 6:47 PM, Nout said:

Anybody who has worked in the ME knows and dreads the stink of Shisha.

Bit of an exaggeration there IMO. Can't say I've worked in the ME, but on trips there never heard anyone say that, any comments where positive especially when comparing to cigarette smokers.

I’ve been working in the Middle East for the last 5 years, never ever heard anyone ‘dread’ the stink of Shisha there (UAE or Qatar).

Much worse is the smell of cigarettes in the bars which do not have indoor smoking bans - its horrible. 

Shisha on the other hand tends not to have such an overwhelming odour like cigarettes and you usually smell the ‘additive’, apple or something similar - its nowhere near as offensive as cigarette smoke. 

There is also a lot of misunderstanding about shisha - for some reason people think its healthier and cigarette smoking, hence you would see the ‘cool crowd’ get into it when back-packing etc as if its somehow culturally enlightening !!!  

Shisha sessions last 30mins or more - thats a lot more than smoking a couple of cigarettes.

The water doesn’t filter out any harmful elements, tobacco, nicotine, tar etc 

‘Puff for puff’ or ‘intake for intake’ shisha is equivalent to smoking cigarettes - but people smoking shisha general inhale a greater amount each time and smoke for a longer than it usually takes (6-7 mins) to finish a cigarette, hence it being less healthy. 

Whoever thought that Shisha is dried fruit amused me quite a lot - I don’t think that guess was really thought through before putting fingers to keyboard !

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 6:01 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Whoever thought that Shisha is dried fruit amused me quite a lot - I don’t think that guess was really thought through before putting fingers to keyboard !

It's my understanding that the "shisha" being "carried in" is tobacco free, hence why we haven't seen any arrests at the airport.

See the below link, Richard.  Tobacco free shisha is quiet common.

https://www.amazon.com/Tobacco-Nicotine-Hydro-Herbal-Molasses/dp/B009GNISS8

So, the question is, other than breaching Covid restrictions, if they were smoking tobacco free shisha, what offence have they committed?

As far as ""before putting fingers to keyboard" - Leaver hands Richard a tissue, so he can wipe the egg from his face.   

• Sad 1

On 1/26/2021 at 1:55 AM, Salerno said:

Heard/read people claiming one shisha is equivalent to 100 cigarettes but I think that's overly exaggerated. Probably more realistic:

Compared to a cigarette, in an average waterpipe session you inhale:

• 2-3 times the amount of nicotine
  • 25 times the amount of tar
  • Up to 50 times the amount of lead

https://www.quit.org.au/resources/multicultural-groups/explainer-shisha-pipes-vs-cigarettes/

Yeah and we love being woken up by the call to prayer as well as the stink of shisha

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2021 at 12:03 PM, Salerno said:

Why do you keep posting "fake news" (and OT)?

It's a covid-10 restriction in Jordan (along with normal cigarettes and vaping), not a ban in the same way as Thailand.

Banned since 2008.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/tougher-enforcement-of-jordan-shisha-ban-sparks-public-outcry-1.263009

I was in Saudi several years ago when Jordan banned the public smoking of shisha, around 2014  on health grounds. It was also banned in the UK before that. As I am not a newspaper I hardly think my comments can be classified as news, fake or otherwise.

Edited by Nout

On 2/5/2021 at 5:23 PM, Leaver said:

It's my understanding that the "shisha" being "carried in" is tobacco free, hence why we haven't seen any arrests at the airport.

So, the question is, other than breaching Covid restrictions, if they were smoking tobacco free shisha, what offence have they committed?

As far as ""before putting fingers to keyboard" - Leaver hands Richard a tissue, so he can wipe the egg from his face.   

I though shisha was banned in Thailand, years ago, and raids are quite common.

8 minutes ago, Nout said:

Banned since 2008.

Technically banned but not enforced, now and then a crackdown, very much like Thailand. 

In order to protect the health and safety of citizens, especially given the COVID-19 pandemic and its aftermath, smoking of all forms (cigarettes, electronic cigarettes and shisha) is banned in closed public places,” the health ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1698931/middle-east

Banning shisha is an "unfair and unjust decision," member of the General Commission of the Tourist Restaurants Association Nour al-Din Abu Baker told Roya Saturday. The decision was described to be a result of ‘government confusion’.

The government made the decision to ban shisha in restaurants Nov. 17, due to the huge increase in COVID-19 cases in Jordan.

https://en.royanews.tv/news/23628/2020-11-21

Technically, Jordan’s Public Health Law Number 47 of 2008 prohibits smoking in public places. The law is poorly enforced, however, and even flouted with flair – particularly in government institutions, where employees will light up next to “no smoking” signs. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2014/2/14/water-pipe-ban-lights-up-jordans-smokers

9 hours ago, Nout said:

I though shisha was banned in Thailand, years ago, and raids are quite common.

That's my understanding, but I was under the belief it was for the tobacco shisha, as in, the product that was burnet and inhaled.  .  

As I have posted, there is tobacco free shisha, so what actually is banned?  Is it the apparatus?  The water pipe?  

On 2/5/2021 at 5:23 PM, Leaver said:

Shisha and smoking them was made illegal

On 2/13/2021 at 5:46 PM, Dionigi said:

Both, I seem to remember.

It was reported so long ago I am unsure myself. 

I merely raise the point that there is tobacco free shisha.  

Probably just another one of those "grey areas" the BiB like to have as another revenue earner.