Thai granny in shock! Financial authority demands ten years of pension be repaid

webfact

Thai granny in shock! Financial authority demands ten years of pension be repaid

news_SKZBmqkaIA152941_533.jpg
Picture: Daily News

A poor 89 year old grandmother in Buriram in Thailand's north east has been told to repay ten years of a pension.

The order from the Comptroller General's Department was delivered by the local authority and amounts to 84,000 baht. 

The money came after the death of Buan Losuwan's son in an explosion while he was on military service. 

Laddawan, 66, Buan's daughter, said in tears that she would go to jail instead of her mum.

They couldn't find that sort of money and she wondered why they had waited ten years before asking for it back.

Daily News did not explain at all why the money needed to be returned.

They published a picture of a reporter and the family with a framed portrait of a man called Jakkrawut Losuwan who died 20 years ago aged 34.

Source: Daily News

• Sad 7
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

I read it as the pension or some monies were forthcoming when the son died in an explosion 20 years ago. Not his pension as he was already dead. 

Some bureaucrat has screwed up but won't take responsibility. 

That (initial) bureaucrat that authorized payments may have retired, died, etc. Still, the family receiving the monies should have inquired (long ago) if what they received was legal.

Anyhow, not my problem, not my country, and I do not know the family (of the deceased). I will not lose sleep regarding the outcome.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

This story is either so poorly written or I am getting dumber by the day, it's just so confusing,

I mean who is Buan Losuwan ? from my reading the daughter of the poor old grandmother is Laddawan, 66, who is in the picturedo I take it that Buan Losuwan was the father, i.e. the husband of the mother who is depicted as the poor old grandmother ?

And what has the guy in the portrait Jakkrawut Losuwan who died 20 years ago aged 34 got to do with any of this, was he the son of Laddawan ?

Was this pension supposed to stop after either the father or the deceased son passed in military action or was it supposed to be someone else's pension ?

I need a stronger coffee, that or I'm coming down with something ????

You tink to mut....????

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

This story is either so poorly written or I am getting dumber by the day, it's just so confusing,

I mean who is Buan Losuwan ? from my reading the daughter of the poor old grandmother is Laddawan, 66, who is in the picturedo I take it that Buan Losuwan was the father, i.e. the husband of the mother who is depicted as the poor old grandmother ?

And what has the guy in the portrait Jakkrawut Losuwan who died 20 years ago aged 34 got to do with any of this, was he the son of Laddawan ?

Was this pension supposed to stop after either the father or the deceased son passed in military action or was it supposed to be someone else's pension ?

The Mother (Buan), her daughter (Laddawan) and the deceased son and brother (Jakkrawut).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Too right she should pay it back. Sounds like she had been knowingly collecting the dead guy’s pension even though he had been dead for 20 years. 

When somebody dies during service like in this case an explosion, the victim will get postumely promoted to a higher rank and the family will be compensated for their loss. In some case they will receive a pension if that person was the breadwinner.  Normally in Thailand they retire at 60. Shame on you Generals 80 something over a period of 10 years, not even the price of a decent watch. She should sue instead.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Does'nt really matter, it's a Thai thing!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tweedledee2 said:

The Mother (Buan), her daughter (Laddawan) and the deceased son and brother (Jakkrawut).

Thanks, what about the pension that was being paid to her, was that incorrectly being paid to her ?

20 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks, what about the pension that was being paid to her, was that incorrectly being paid to her ?

"vinny41's post on the 1st page just below yours addresses your concerns, plus there is additional information in the link he provided.   If your still confused maybe there is a book titled "Reading Comprehension for Dummies". 

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

"vinny41's post on the 1st page just below yours addresses your concerns, plus there is additional information in the link he provided.   If your still confused maybe there is a book titled "Reading Comprehension for Dummies". 

Nah I'm good thanks, his posts sorted it, as for the title of the book, could be an interesting read ?

9 hours ago, vinny41 said:

When her son died while on active service a payment is made of 5,000 baht each month to each of the parents Death in Service benefit Similar type of Death in Service benefits are paid in the US and Europe

When the Father of the son dies the Death in Service benefit is reduced from 10,000 baht per month to 5,000 baht per month

In 2010 the mother started claiming elderly living allowance but one of the conditions for claiming the  elderly living allowance is that   they must not be receiving pension, annuity, special pension or any other similar money

Hence the overpayment 

https://www.worldin.news/71593/2021/01/the-comptroller-generals-department-explained-after-the-89-year-old-grandmother-was-called-back-for-more-than-80-thousand-baht-for-the-elderly.html

At last,

A sensible and clear explanation as to why she was in the wrong!

Not really a capital crime to satisfy some of those on here.

Thais are always on the lookout for an extra 500 baht here, there and everywhere when they live in poverty and certainly would not ask questions nor volunteer answers that would remove the said amount.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

At last,

A sensible and clear explanation as to why she was in the wrong!

Not really a capital crime to satisfy some of those on here.

Thais are always on the lookout for an extra 500 baht here, there and everywhere when they live in poverty and certainly would not ask questions nor volunteer answers that would remove the said amount.

What we don't know is when she applied for the elderly living allowance which is 600 bht per month if she was asked the question 

are you receipt of  any pension, annuity, special pension or any other similar money

It made be the case that the admin official assumed she wasn't

They have been cases in the UK where people have been asked 

Are you in receipt of any other benefit 

and they answer honestly No

where the question should have been put this way

Are you in receipt of any other benefit including state pension

Most people I know don't regard the state pension as a benefit

and there was a campaign a few years ago requesting the UK Government 

Stop UK Government and Departments from labeling "State Pension" as benefits!

Didn't make any difference

https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/121267

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jsflynn603 said:

No problem, she'll pay 1 baht per month

for 7,000 years.

Your joking they have offered to drop the interest approx 12,000 baht if she pays back 72,000 within 12 months, if she can't then interest rate will be charged at 7.5 percent per year will go back on the outstanding balance

Edited by vinny41
additional info

On 1/25/2021 at 3:12 AM, Gumballl said:

That (initial) bureaucrat that authorized payments may have retired, died, etc. Still, the family receiving the monies should have inquired (long ago) if what they received was legal.

Anyhow, not my problem, not my country, and I do not know the family (of the deceased). I will not lose sleep regarding the outcome.

What possible reason would they have to enquire whether it was legal? The pension was awarded to her from a government (Legal)  source thus it is legal. The fact is that a faceless bureaucrat has f****d up, and the authorities want to reverse the decision (legally of course). Your statement is facetious and has no meaning.

• Like 2