New Zealand confirms first coronavirus case in months

webfact

New Zealand confirms first coronavirus case in months

2021-01-25T010131Z_1_LYNXMPEH0O01I_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-NEW-ZEALAND.JPG

A man walks by a social distancing sign on the first day of New Zealand's new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) safety measure that mandates wearing of a mask on public transport, in Auckland, New Zealand, August 31, 2020. REUTERS/Fiona Goodall

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - New Zealand on Monday confirmed its first case of COVID-19 in the community in months in a 56-year-old woman, but said close contacts of the recently returned traveller had so far tested negative.

The woman, who returned to New Zealand on Dec. 30, had tested positive for the South African strain of the virus after leaving a two-week mandatory quarantine where she had twice tested negative, COVID-19 response minister Chris Hipkins said.

No other community cases had been reported since the woman's case was disclosed on Sunday and authorities said the source of the infection was probably a fellow returnee at the quarantine facility.

Authorities were looking at whether the virus was spreading through the ventilation and air conditioning systems in these facilities, Hipkins said.

New Zealand Health Chief Ashley Bloomfield said 15 people had been identified as close contacts of the woman and were being contacted.

However, her closest contacts, her husband and hairdresser, had tested negative, which was encouraging.

New Zealand, one of the most successful developed nations in controlling the spread of the pandemic, last recorded a community coronavirus transmission in November, according to the Health Ministry website.

A tough lockdown and geographical isolation helped the country of 5 million virtually eliminate the novel coronavirus within its borders.

New Zealand has had only 1,927 confirmed cases. But with the pandemic raging globally, more people are returning with infections, including the new variants, raising concerns the virus may spread in the community again.

The woman, who lives in Northland on New Zealand's North Island, quarantined on arrival in a managed isolation facility in Auckland where several highly virulent COVID-19 cases have been recorded in quarantine facilities in recent weeks.

Bloomfield said the South African variant may be more transmissible but there was not yet enough research available.

(Reporting by Praveen Menon; Editing by Richard Pullin)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-25

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The woman, who returned to New Zealand on Dec. 30, had tested positive for the South African strain of the virus after leaving a two-week mandatory quarantine where she had twice tested negative, COVID-19 response minister Chris Hipkins said.

No other community cases had been reported since the woman's case was disclosed on Sunday and authorities said the source of the infection was probably a fellow returnee at the quarantine facility.

Authorities were looking at whether the virus was spreading through the ventilation and air conditioning systems in these facilities, Hipkins said.

Wonder if:

a) she actually had two false -ve tests...

b) they've thought about ventilation spread at Thai ASQ venues!

13 minutes ago, onebir said:

Wonder if:

a) she actually had two false -ve tests...

b) they've thought about ventilation spread at Thai ASQ venues!

She had two negative test results, had inadvertent contact with a positive case in isolation after her 12 day negative test and then tested positive 9 days later. In New Zealand MIQ, not Thailand ASQ, fyi.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onebir said:

No centralized aircon systems?

As far as I know, in Thailand, rooms with centralized aircon systems cannot be used for ASQ.

1 hour ago, Catkiwi said:

This case was in New Zealand. Absorb the content!

He (and I) know, it was a derived thought.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

As far a New Zealand is concerned, it‘s not only Good luck, but more so a good government taking the proper measures, as popular, or unpopular they may be. Very few countries, if any, have leaders like the PM of New Zaland.

How is their immunization program going?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, farang51 said:

As far as I know, in Thailand, rooms with centralized aircon systems cannot be used for ASQ.

He (and I) know, it was a derived thought.

Sorry if I misinterpreted previous comments but please explain...We were talking about NZ MIQ and then comments around Thai ASQ popped up.

27 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

Sorry if I misinterpreted previous comments but please explain...We were talking about NZ MIQ and then comments around Thai ASQ popped up.

If they're looking at spread via aircon in quarantine in NZ, that possibility might also exist in ASQ in Thailand. (However, if the hotels don't have central aircon &/ the NZ case had known contact with a +ve person while in quarantine, this is less of a concern.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, onebir said:

If they're looking at spread via aircon in quarantine in NZ, that possibility might also exist in ASQ in Thailand. (However, if the hotels don't have central aircon &/ the NZ case had known contact with a +ve person while in quarantine, this is less of a concern.)

Yeah, that clears it all up....Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, mstevens said:

New Zealand's vaccine program is a DISASTER! Saying New Zealand have opted to stay at the back of the queue is a lie. Are you a politician?!

Health Minister Megan Woods said on live national TV in December that "New Zealand was at the front of the queue to get the vaccine". As of yesterday, 56 countries have started vaccinating and New Zealand is NOT one of them. We are now told that vaccinations in New Zealand will start in March for essential workers and the second half of the year for Joe Public....but do we believe that? As I say, it's a DISASTER.

Excuse me but I didn't mean to rattle your cage son. Calm down son or you will have a fatal conniption before you die of Covid...???? 

5 hours ago, mstevens said:

New Zealand's vaccine program is a DISASTER! Saying New Zealand have opted to stay at the back of the queue is a lie. Are you a politician?!

Health Minister Megan Woods said on live national TV in December that "New Zealand was at the front of the queue to get the vaccine". As of yesterday, 56 countries have started vaccinating and New Zealand is NOT one of them. We are now told that vaccinations in New Zealand will start in March for essential workers and the second half of the year for Joe Public....but do we believe that? As I say, it's a DISASTER.

Hate Arden. Look forward to the day she is gone.

On 1/25/2021 at 10:21 PM, abrahamzvi said:

As far a New Zealand is concerned, it‘s not only Good luck, but more so a good government taking the proper measures, as popular, or unpopular they may be. Very few countries, if any, have leaders like the PM of New Zaland.

Not everyone in NZ would agree with your comment about "a good government taking the proper measures" Try googling "NZ covid testing fiasco" and "NZ quarantine fiasco" before cheering too loudly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I have the impression that quite a few posters have a problem with strong women, such as Arden.

But what can you expect from the average immigrant (some call themselves expat) in Thailand?

Strong woman!!! You have got to be joking. She sat on the back benches for years and did nothing...no bills, no leadership....zilch. It  was only when Labour were heading for another hiding at the 2017 election that they propelled her forward as she could at least appeal to the younger vote and woman. The woman has the one skill and that is spinning bull <deleted>. And if you were here in NZ as I am and not some barstooler in Thailand then you would know the incompetence and failure that is on display everyday here. If you want a strong woman in NZ then Helen Clark would have fitted the bill not this bull spinning flake.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Roadman said:

Strong woman!!! You have got to be joking. She sat on the back benches for years and did nothing...no bills, no leadership....zilch. It  was only when Labour were heading for another hiding at the 2017 election that they propelled her forward as she could at least appeal to the younger vote and woman. The woman has the one skill and that is spinning bull <deleted>. And if you were here in NZ as I am and not some barstooler in Thailand then you would know the incompetence and failure that is on display everyday here. If you want a strong woman in NZ then Helen Clark would have fitted the bill not this bull spinning flake.

QUOTE:  And if you were here in NZ as I am and not some barstooler in Thailand

Oh dear, you overplayed your hand there, making the rest of your argument very suspected.

Just for your information, I lived several years in NZ, Raro, Porinetia Farani, and other islands.

Presently in am blocked in Belgium, and in Chantaburi I would not know about any bars that cater to immigrants (or expats as they call themselves).

23 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I have the impression that quite a few posters have a problem with strong women, such as Arden.

But what can you expect from the average immigrant (some call themselves expat) in Thailand?

I have a problem with your use of "strong". It is often confused with domineering, IMO. There are many examples of strong women now and in history, but they don't often wish to parade themselves in public telling other people what to do.

Mother Teresa was one such.

• Sad 1