Vehicles emitting black smoke to face fine up to Bt5,000, department warns

webfact

Gather some journos and TV crews, nab some unsuspecting sod off the road, slap him with a ticket, point at the errant exhaust, take some pics, say something to the camera, take more pics... shouldn't last more than 30 mins, max. That's it. Everybody goes home. PM 2.5 taken care of. Clear skies from tomorrow onwards. This is how we tackle urban pollution issues - Thai style.

• Like 2

how are they going to enforce it?  no computer data base for repeat offenders?  no impounding of vehicles for repeat offenders?  fake smog certificates?  looks like money in the pocket.  there needs to be a number that the public can call to report these offenders.

Edited by malibukid

That is all very well and very commendable.   The two main problems are :

- the police have to be out on the street to catch them.   We haven't seen police out on our streets since early Covid days.

- the police need a meter of some sort to show that the vehicle is exceeding the safety limit.   When a few decades ago a limit was set on the dark-tinting of car windows it turned out that the was only somethin like 4 meters in the country capable of testing them.    That was a rule soon forgotten.

• Like 1

They won't stop this problem. until they stop selling diesel vehicles to Thai's ,diesel vehicles need constant servicing , otherwise the longer they are left  not serviced the more black smoke they blow out, you even see a lot of not very old diesel vehicles, blowing out black smoke ,Thai's buy them , but can't afford to service them , or it is something they just don't bother doing .  Regards ,,, Popa

• Confused 1

I have said before & I will say it again, that until they have mufti police in mufti cars 

& forget about the cost of fuel & cars, this decree is a wase of time (heard it before)

Just drive along Banga Trad for 20Km & you will run out of ticket books in 1 hour

• Like 1

4 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

How does a vehicle get its MOT/insurance cert. when it belches out smoke ?  Do they go to the nearest place that issues the certificates and say here is 1000 B if you don't test it.

If I was one of the BiB in a car and I stopped a smoking vehicle I would want to see where it was tested and follow up . But of course I am not a BiB and that would involve work such as stopping 3 underage kids riding around on a Wave where none have a crash hat on.

Yeah that has been true in the past.  But I've notice of late they are getting sticker 

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Problem there is whilst at the test there was no issue, whats done to the vehicle afterwards is the question and has no connection to the testing area. A test is only good for that moment. 

Its the people selling the necessary enhancing/performance items are at the source, that where they should start.

BS, plenty of old vehicles with no enhancing/performance items that belch black smoke.

• Like 2

Please understand I have nothing against Isuzu diesel pickup truck owners.  Some of my best friends drive them. And I do a fair amount of Highway driving (35k Km per year). I can’t help noticing older Isuzu pickups spewing black smoke.  Same for older Chevy pickups which used the same Isuzu motors. I also see many mid-sized and larger commercial Isuzu trucks.  They never seem to smoke much. What’s up with those small Isuzu diesels?

24 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Assuming that these vehicles are over 7 years old, how do they ever pass the test to renew their road tax each year if they're belching back smoke? I know, they probably don't bother renewing the tax, but then why not make the fine 5,000 Baht for a vehicle belching black smoke and double it if the vehicle isn't taxed? And then treble it if the driver hasn't got a valid licence. In no time at all, the government's coffers will be overflowing with money, lol...

They seem only interested in whether the brakes work or not. But I've never presented a coal-roller to them, so not sure on the pollution. 

4 hours ago, Glaswegian2 said:

Yeah. Right you are... or 1000 baht on-the-spot fine which goes in my pocket, and don't do it again...

Same as usual.

I'm sure if you revved any diesel vehicle more than a few months old in Thailand you will get a below of black smoke, I've owned 2 diesel vehicles from new in thailand and they were well serviced and they all bellowed black smoke when revved hard strange is my 5 year old diesel 4 in the uk has never bellowed black smoke. 

1 hour ago, herwin1234 said:

Despite the usual cynical responses from the forum farang, this new law is just great and shows that the Thais have put the environment on its agenda. Last years anti single use plastic bag ban worked out fine, and so will this new ban on black smoke puffing cars. It might take a while though but now at least the police can legaly do something against these polluters.

It's down to law enforcement. That's it. 

I see car with black smoke daily.. I see policemen in cars or motorcycles  at the same time.... and nothing happens...Fine them with 5000 THB and let them drive away AFTER some one came to repair or replace the filters.....That will learn them.. but of course first the police have to start working 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

That'll never work, it smacks of multi-tasking. One crackdown at a time.

Thailand: the hub of serial crackdowns, lasting no more than a week each time.

I just hope they don't get around to the 'leaving the house without underwear' crackdown.

Check that one out with Greg Norman.