Computer repair

mrjohn

I have an old PC which died some time ago. The USB port stopped working.

It boots up fine but none of the USB ports work so I can’t open any files or do anything.

I tried to get some advice online but all they say is that the USB ports will automatically reinstall drivers etc on start-up.

I don’t really want to throw it out because I could use it as a backup and also as a music player.

The only thing I can think of is to replace the motherboard.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

If you're using onboard sound, video and network, your concerns will be RAM and CPU. If you're using Windows 10, you can click on "Settings," then click "Systems" then scroll down to "About" on the left side. This will give you the info. You can take a photo of it then take that to any decent IT shop who can provide you a compatible motherboard.

I find myself replacing my motherboard every 12-16 months cuz the USB ports go wonky.

14 minutes ago, mrjohn said:

Good idea thanks for that.

How do I quickly check for compatibility?

Unless you are familiar with types of motherboard etc, it may be a little difficult to identify type of motherboard. There have been a couple of variations in the slots on motherboards

just get the local computer shop to do it.

10 hours ago, mrjohn said:

I have an old PC which died some time ago. The USB port stopped working.

It boots up fine but none of the USB ports work so I can’t open any files or do anything.

I tried to get some advice online but all they say is that the USB ports will automatically reinstall drivers etc on start-up.

I don’t really want to throw it out because I could use it as a backup and also as a music player.

The only thing I can think of is to replace the motherboard.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Why do you need a USB port to open files?

Buy a PCI 4port USB2 card, it's cheap, like $10 and problem solved

might find the drivers online, even buy second hand for $5 for older PCs

finding an old mouse and keyboard with PS/2 might be challenging, but I have seen some around. I have about 10 of those in stock just in case ????