Mailing an iPhone from Thailand to the UK

Andy from Kent

9 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Post Office via EMS with tracking. But with COVID causing  delays  and price increases, it might not be worth the price to send. Best check with Post Office first

And the restrictions (cargo) on Li-ion batteries on flights?

9 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

Good Luck! Sending an iPhone 4S????? Probably cost more in transport than the value of the phone. Better do a bank transfer for a phone for your friend. Much safer too.

I agree.  Also, Apple hasn't had any security updates for the 4s for years now.  If you send your friend the cost of a 2021 low-end Android phone by bank transfer, they'll be much better off, I think, and it would likely not cost much more than the shipping costs of the 4s.

3 minutes ago, JTXR said:

I agree.  Also, Apple hasn't had any security updates for the 4s for years now.  If you send your friend the cost of a 2021 low-end Android phone by bank transfer, they'll be much better off, I think, and it would likely not cost much more than the shipping costs of the 4s.

Right! The value of the phone is around 500 baht.

• Like 1

A friend recently died and he had a nearly new costly laptop which his daughter requested in the UK.

Thai Post have a courier service in conjunction with DHL cost of service was 3600bht. which included packing and arrived in the UK 3 days later excellent service!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bt2017 said:

A friend recently died and he had a nearly new costly laptop which his daughter requested in the UK.

Thai Post have a courier service in conjunction with DHL cost of service was 3600bht. which included packing and arrived in the UK 3 days later excellent service!

I had a friend from Australia leave one of his phones behind last year.

Thai Post would not accept it to be sent by mail.

Don't bother, the iPhone 4 is obsolete and is not compatible with current Apple architecture. 

It's 10-11 years old and uses a 32-bit CPU while current Apple tech uses 64-bit CPUs.  This means that you probably won't be able to use any current apps while old apps and iOS won't be supported.  Add the old depleted battery charge life and you have a phone that may-or-may-not work running apps, will be extremely slow doing anything, might freeze or crash constantly and have a fraction of battery life.

Edited by Iron Tongue

19 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Don't bother, the iPhone 4 is obsolete and is not compatible with current Apple architecture. 

It's 10-11 years old and uses a 32-bit CPU while current Apple tech uses 64-bit CPUs.  This means that you probably won't be able to use any current apps while old apps and iOS won't be supported.  Add the old depleted battery charge life and you have a phone that may-or-may-not work running apps, will be extremely slow doing anything, might freeze or crash constantly and have a fraction of battery life.

Yes. it is old and your estimate of 11 years is likely accurate.     It does however work and if nothing else it will make and receive calls.

Monday night I charged it and it went to 100% charge.         The following day, Tuesday, I took it to the local TucKom  to have it jailbroken.   The first half dozen vendors claimed it's not possible to jailbreak because of its age.      I guess the technology disappeared into thin air.   the seventh vendor sung a different tune.       After I simply asked if he  could jailbreak the phone he took it out of my hand and started the process.      We waited 20 - 30 minute and he said he's finished.     I bought the phone unlocked so hopefully with a jailbreak and unlocked, my friend will get some limited use out of the phone

In answer to the DHL ladies question  as to the value of the phone, I told her 10 GBP to which she said she thought I was undervaluing the phone.    I hope the authorities don't add any silly duty to it.

I think things will work out fine with the phone.

18 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

at what cost?

Thai Post will indeed NOT ship phones internationally  or at least that's what I was told by them.

The cost to ship the phone by DHL was 1650 THB.     

My friend is not one with an open hand.      He would not have been happy if i'd tried to send him cash.     I merely asked him for his address and  told him in reply I was shipping him a phone that was cluttering my desk.

DHL  told me the phone would arrive at UK customs on Thursday  (tomorrow).