What are my options for 3 month IMM-O visa extension - Part 2 ?

As I mentioned before in the previous post I am here on a 3 month IMM-O (marriage) visa issued in London with the expiry date due on 27th February and will be extending a further 2 months for 1900 baht. My wife and I own a condo here and she is on the tabien baan and our marriage is registered at the amphoe. I have opened a bank account now and transferred in 400k and so the money is duly seasoning if required for A 1 year visa. 

I have been pondering my options further down the line should we want to stay here longer than the 5 months in total that will have expired on 27thg April and there are a number of questions I would be most grateful for any help you could assist with.

1. Is there any point in getting a tabien baan in my own name ? My wife currently does the TM30 without any problems.

2. Is there any further short term visa extension available that isn't the 1 year route ?

3. If I get the 1 year visa I understand the need for 90 day reporting. If I subsequently go back to the UK does this effectively cancel that visa or can I use it for re-entry in the autumn if required without further ado ?

4. Does the 1 year just require my bank account, her id ,tabien baan and my passport as the relevant documentation ?

Many thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, najomtiensun said:

4. Does the 1 year just require my bank account, her id ,tabien baan and my passport as the relevant documentation ?

See my general list of required documents. Marriage Extension Requirements 2.pdf

1 hour ago, najomtiensun said:

2. Is there any further short term visa extension available that isn't the 1 year route ?

There is not other extension you qualify for other than the 60 day extension you have applied for.

2 and 4 have already been answered.

1 you can get a yellow book in your name, the blue one is for Thai's only. It is a lot of hastle to get and not worth it. You will still have to ensure your address is registered with immigration.

3. You have to do a 90 day report only if you are in Thailand. Once you leave the country and return the 90 days resets.

Thanks for that very useful reply. It' all very clear now and give the tabien baan a miss. Just have to make sure that if I need the 1 year in April that my application is note perfect for Jomtien immigration as I've heard they love to find small errors and push you the agents way if possible. 

19 hours ago, najomtiensun said:

As I mentioned before in the previous post I am here on a 3 month IMM-O (marriage) visa issued in London with the expiry date due on 27th February and will be extending a further 2 months for 1900 baht. My wife and I own a condo here and she is on the tabien baan and our marriage is registered at the amphoe. I have opened a bank account now and transferred in 400k and so the money is duly seasoning if required for A 1 year visa. 

When you entered Thailand on that single entry Non O Visa, it was 'used' so now immaterial.

You were given a stamp at entry 'admitted until' (date), this is know as your granted 'permission of stay', which in your case would have been 90 days from the date of entry.

When you apply for a 60 day extension, you are applying to extend that permission of stay for a further 60 days.

When you apply for a 1 year extension you are applying for a further  extension of your permission of stay.

Extensions are permits, not Visas. 

1. Is there any point in getting a tabien baan in my own name ? My wife currently does the TM30 without any problems.

Entirely up to the individual, dependant if your staying long term.

Personally I've found the Yellow Tabien Baan and foreigners ID card extremely useful from opening a bank account, to obtaining/renewing Driving licences and purchasing vehicles.

Without a Tabien Baan and ID card you will require multiple 'Certificates of Residence' from your Immigration office for the above.

No, after the one time 60 day extension to visit Thai wife, only the 1 year extension is available for long term stay.

3. If I get the 1 year visa I understand the need for 90 day reporting. If I subsequently go back to the UK does this effectively cancel that visa or can I use it for re-entry in the autumn if required without further ado ?

As explained it's a permit to stay, not a Visa.

You can purchase a single or multiple re-entry permit from your local Immigration office.

After leaving during your 1 year permission of stay, on re-entry you will be stamped in again up to the date of your current permission of stay.

UJ has already posted a list of requirements, but here is mine for comparison.

Extension of Stay based on Marriage.odt

When using the 400K in the bank method, note that once the 1 year extension has been approved you can withdraw the 400K if required, but must be deposited again at least 2 months before your next extension application.

31 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

When you entered Thailand on that single entry Non O Visa, it was 'used' so now immaterial.

You were given a stamp at entry 'admitted until' (date), this is know as your granted 'permission of stay', which in your case would have been 90 days from the date of entry.

When you apply for a 60 day extension, you are applying to extend that permission of stay for a further 60 days.

When you apply for a 1 year extension you are applying for a further  extension of your permission of stay.

Extensions are permits, not Visas. 

Entirely up to the individual, dependant if your staying long term.

Personally I've found the Yellow Tabien Baan and foreigners ID card extremely useful from opening a bank account, to obtaining/renewing Driving licences and purchasing vehicles.

Without a Tabien Baan and ID card you will require multiple 'Certificates of Residence' from your Immigration office for the above.

No, after the one time 60 day extension to visit Thai wife, only the 1 year extension is available for long term stay.

As explained it's a permit to stay, not a Visa.

You can purchase a single or multiple re-entry permit from your local Immigration office.

After leaving during your 1 year permission of stay, on re-entry you will be stamped in again up to the date of your current permission of stay.

UJ has already posted a list of requirements, but here is mine for comparison.

Extension of Stay based on Marriage.odt 22.59 kB · 0 downloads

When using the 400K in the bank method, note that once the 1 year extension has been approved you can withdraw the 400K if required, but must be deposited again at least 2 months before your next extension application.

Wow your answer is as good as it gets , many thanks and all very clear.

I'm interested in the foreigners id card now so may well be worth getting the yellow book and taking the hassle. Just in case I don't go for the 1 year permit can I apply for the tb on my more limited current status and then get the foreigners id card on same ? We are no strangers to Pattaya City Hall for various reasons over the years so another morning spent there is not a problem. 

My return to the UK at the moment is predicated on the death rate falling rapidly and the vaccine rollout being successful - if that happens before the end of April and there is no costly quarantine UK end then we will return and I would do the 1 year option for our return in the autumn. 

This appears very helpful.

https://www.wikiprocedure.com/index.php/Thailand_-_Apply_for_Thai_Identification_(Pink_ID)_Card_for_Foreigners

18 minutes ago, najomtiensun said:

I'm interested in the foreigners id card now so may well be worth getting the yellow book and taking the hassle. Just in case I don't go for the 1 year permit can I apply for the tb on my more limited current status and then get the foreigners id card on same ? We are no strangers to Pattaya City Hall for various reasons over the years so another morning spent there is not a problem. 

The first point of call is to check the requirements at Pattaya City Hall.

I've sent you a PM.

Archived