When the world opens up I'm thinking about going to Cebu for a week or two...Anyone been before?

WineOh

Cebu island is definitely on the cards for my first post covid holiday.

Heard great things about it and would like to know more.

Anyone here ever been?

what to expect?

nice beaches, food, girls etc?

I've never been to the philippines before so any advice/suggestions would be great!

thanks.

(apologies if this is in the wrong forum). 

Edited by WineOh

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

loads of times, over many years.  Used to be nice, now just one more Philippines sxxt hole. Give it a try if you must.  Food is only just okay.  Girls, if I recall, pre my marriage,  are friendly, beautiful and knock Thai bar girls into a cocked hat and usually speak very good English. Watch your wallet and don't go out at night alone.  And if you think Thai Police are bad, you are in for a treat there. 

A rather murky picture you paint there mate ????

anywhere else you recommend for a first timer? 

2 minutes ago, WineOh said:

A rather murky picture you paint there mate ????

anywhere else you recommend for a first timer? 

sorry, didn't mean to put you off.  No, do try it.  It is at least worth one visit and you may like it.  For me it would be Mindanao, but its very much a personal choice. If its night life you are after, maybe Subic and Angles City but I haven't been to either in many years.  Check out the Philippines Forums.  Very friendly people on there and they can give you up to date info. 

• Like 2

the jihadist goings on over the past decades would be enough to keep me from going that far south...    (think Yala Province for a comparison) 

Found it more reassuring to just stay places like the Resorts overlooking the Taal Volcano lake... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WineOh said:

Feel I should add that when I go on holiday I like sun all day, plenty booze, white beaches with clear water and plenty willing females to cherry pick.

Also partial to a bit of culture here and there when the booze wears off...

Boracay? 

• Like 2

Just now, WineOh said:

is it nice than cebu?

I could always fly to cebu then get the bus up to there?

yes, but more hassle to get to. Its a beautiful Island, very tropical and exotic.  Not sure about the extent of the night life nowadays. 

I stayed there more than 20 years ago, on an island resort, Badian Island. It was not good, and a long journey from the airport to get there. Since then I've been once, and again, not a great experience. There are some great beaches in the Philippines, but Cebu does not have them, AFAIK. I've stayed at Amanpulo, Pamalican Island (private), which had some of the most beautiful water I've ever seen. It comes at a price, however.

31 minutes ago, WineOh said:

Safe place day and night?

Booze / birds are a plenty? 

Yes a lot more safe then the bigger places,never had a problem with safety there.

Is not really big but all you want is there.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jvs said:

Yes a lot more safe then the bigger places,never had a problem with safety there.

Is not really big but all you want is there.

Cheers for the info mate,

I shall look into it ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jojothai said:

Did a lot of travelling there, but some years ago.

would help if some others can update on nightlife, even if Covid has decimated many places.
There was Booze and birds in most places. Beaches and scuba diving are very good in several popular places.

Booze, no problem be careful when you are out on your own. Watch for the pickpockets in the tourist bar areas.
As with anywhere, be careful with guests and keep your money safe from them.

Many hotels require guests to deposit their ID card. Insist on it.

If you want beaches and scuba diving Cebu is very good. You Fly to Cebu.
Puerto Galera, not so far from manila is very good. Small Island with great laid back beach huts or resorts, I believe they still have some birds, maybe others can update you.
You may also consider to get a companion in Manila to go with you. Go by bus or taxi to Batangas then ferry / boat to Puerto Gallera 

Boracay has a fantastic beach, sea and diving. Check if it is open, they recently had it closed for parts of the year.

Reasonable amount of nightlife. Birds not so plentiful. To get to Boracay you fly to Caticlan in Aklan and then get a boat across.

Depending on what else you like, you can go north of Manila by bus to Angeles and Subic Bay. Beaches are near to subic.
You can easily look up plenty of information online for Angeles. Nice easy going, cheaper, laid back style of place.

US forces home base for decades, until pinatubo volcano eruption.
From Angeles you can do a trip to visit Baguio City in the mountains and round to the Banaue rice terraces then back.

If interested, Best to do a tour with one night in Baguio.
I recommend it to people, its a good trip scenic. But depends if you like that kind of thing.

Very informative and much appreciated!

thanks mate.

i absolutely do like nature and scenic things..

this trip may eventually turn into a month instead of a week ????

1 hour ago, WineOh said:

isn't that the dangerous one that lonely planet etc advises against traveling to? 

Its only on of the most dangerous and kidnapping islands of the Philippines. Just google Abu Sayyaf. Officially known by ISIL as the Islamic State in Asia. They especially love newbies on their island and will show you around. Just kidding , I wouldn't even bother with the Philippines these days as the place is a total dump. Vietnam, Cambodia also has what your looking for by the way.

• Like 1

Just now, WineOh said:

i absolutely do like nature and scenic things..

this trip may eventually turn into a month instead of a week ????

Then you would love a trip to Baguio and around the mountain roads.
A long time ago i used to work surveying there in the mountains and camped out in several places.

You would best do the trip in the dry season January to April. Rainy season has some of the highest intensity rainfall in the world.
Been there done that. Very scary when you cannot see the road in front or the sides of the road to pull over.

To enjoy it most the last time i went i hired vehicle in Angeles. Easy to hire there.

But you need a good vehicle, SUV preferable. Car no good on parts of the mountain road round to Banaue.

And its best if you have driven a fair amount in similar kinds of countries out of town. I have a lot of experience.
Depending on how much money you have for the trip, its not too expensive to hire a driver in the philippines

Sticking to the tourist norms its simpler to get a tour bus. Get one with enough time to see some places.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, time2093 said:

Its only on of the most dangerous and kidnapping islands of the Philippines. Just google Abu Sayyaf. Officially known by ISIL as the Islamic State in Asia. They especially love newbies on their island and will show you around. Just kidding , I wouldn't even bother with the Philippines these days as the place is a total dump. Vietnam, Cambodia also has what your looking for by the way.

Yes, correct. The South has some very dangerous areas and people should be warned. 
If you go to Mindanao or the deep South you need to have very good friends you can trust, who know the areas.

Edited by jojothai
word missing

1 minute ago, jojothai said:

Yes, correct. The South has some very dangerous areas and people should be warned. 
If you go to Mindanao or the deep South you need to have very good friends you can trust, who know the areas.

Mind you, perhaps I should also warn the OP about Batangas.
If you go to Puerto Galera, do not stop over in Batangas.

I used to live there for several months, and because of the gun culture and shootings I consider It to be a very dangerous place to stay.

• Like 2

Oh my, you are making me shiver in delight,just trying contain myself. Ok, back to reality. Do stay away from Plantation Bay resort coz it's one crappy place. Book yourself into the Hilton at Mactan.They have one of the best there is in Cebu and more. Great food and "wine" and if the mood gets you well, having a take out if lucky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jvs said:

Been there a bunch of times,do not go around alone when you are drunk!!!It is a lot more dangerous over there!

I would suggest Puerto Galera on Mindoro island,has everything you want and all close to each other.Take a bus from Manila and a boat across to the island.

A lot of bars and nice beaches,White Beach is nice,at least it used to be.

Bars are a bit different over there.

My first time there, a friend of mine and I hired a Vietnam era pilot, at Clark in AC, (back in the glory days of AC, I hear the scene completely changed, pre-Covid, as the bar fines spiraled out of control) and he flew us to Oriental Mindoro, in a souped up, 50 year old single engine plane. Landed on a grass strip. Great experience. Really cool guy! Then a fairly rough one hour ride to Puerto Galera. Nice town, with excellent diving five minutes from the beach. Nice girls too.  Though that was some time ago. No doubt the women are the highlight of the PI, which feels like one giant Tijuana to me.

Took the boat and bus back to Manila. Not the same at all!

Edited by spidermike007