What on earth are these bananas with weird hard chunks inside that I keep finding at fresh markets?

Seik

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Seeds??

I'm guessing you're right but it's a total bummer when you've enjoyed seed-free bananas your whole life. What happened to relying on that cute little black thing at the very bottom of the banana for reproduction?

Maybe it is a plantain variety of banana? usually used for cooking. In the photo it appears they have that angular shape.

Plantains are a starchy, unsweet variety of banana that are inedible raw and must be cooked before eating. Most are larger and slightly more angular in shape than ‘sweet’ bananas

Edited by userabcd

33 minutes ago, Seik said:

I'm guessing you're right but it's a total bummer when you've enjoyed seed-free bananas your whole life. What happened to relying on that cute little black thing at the very bottom of the banana for reproduction?

I always thought that modern bananas were seedless and only reproduced via daughter plants which left them vulnerable to disease.

Seems not, although whether you can actually grow a plant from those seeds ...

It's God's idea to put seeds in fruit, bananas are included. The photo is of NamWa variety, the tastiest and the only variety that I like to eat. But yes, sometimes you get some with seeds, chomp carefully until you rule out a seed filled banana. Or buy a different variety. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Horrible looking bananas I wouldn't pay anything for them

In this case ugly is only skin deep.  I eat a very similar looking type of banana very often.  In fact it is my and my wife's favorite.  Even when it appears too old or bruised, the flesh is still firm, unblemished and delicious.  I have yet to encounter seeds in the ones I've bought.

10 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

In this case ugly is only skin deep.  I eat a very similar looking type of banana very often.  In fact it is my and my wife's favorite.  Even when it appears too old or bruised, the flesh is still firm, unblemished and delicious.  I have yet to encounter seeds in the ones I've bought.

Absolutely agree on that, the flesh itself was great and very tasteful, absolutely worth eating raw in itself. Also the outer ugliness drives the price down which is nice.
Nam Wa... Got it guys, thank you. I shall try my luck with them again and hope for the best.

PS: Can't wait for durian season.

Edited by Seik