Best place for C19 test needed to enter US??

moontang

2 hours ago, accord25 said:

As far as I know the only test accepted by the US is the lab test that takes 7 days. The rapid test is not recognized by the US. This is according to the STEP email I got from the US govt

The CDC announcement says that they require a "viral test", defined as follows:

"Viral test means a viral detection test for current infection (i.e., a nucleic acid amplification test or a viral antigen test) approved or authorized by the relevant national authority for the detection ofSARS-CoV-2."

The standard PCR test available at many locations in Thailand is acceptable.

A fit-to-fly certificate is not required for travel to the US.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, khunjeff said:

The CDC announcement says that they require a "viral test", defined as follows:

"Viral test means a viral detection test for current infection (i.e., a nucleic acid amplification test or a viral antigen test) approved or authorized by the relevant national authority for the detection ofSARS-CoV-2."

The standard PCR test available at many locations in Thailand is acceptable.

A fit-to-fly certificate is not required for travel to the US.

Hopefully, I can beat 2700.  Also, concerned that my departure is during Songkran.

Trump administration had the date as January 26th- but Biden threw out pretty much everything Trump did via executive order. The new announcement a few days ago by the Biden administration regarding international arrivals was proposing a Wuhan virus test to enter, but it's currently a directive to explore feasibility vs a new order. So, seemingly, nothing is actually in place now.... BUT... the CDC apparently didn't watch the Biden presser, nor read teh executive order... so it remains a requirement. Good to see our self-proclaimed saviors/new regime is well oiled.

I have to fly soon and, while most medical tests are cheaper in Pattaya, I've yet to find anything to compete with the 2700 baht price above. 

35 minutes ago, WuhanVagabond said:

Trump administration had the date as January 26th- but Biden threw out pretty much everything Trump did via executive order. The new announcement a few days ago by the Biden administration regarding international arrivals was proposing a Wuhan virus test to enter, but it's currently a directive to explore feasibility vs a new order. So, seemingly, nothing is actually in place now.... BUT... the CDC apparently didn't watch the Biden presser, nor read teh executive order... so it remains a requirement. Good to see our self-proclaimed saviors/new regime is well oiled.

I have to fly soon and, while most medical tests are cheaper in Pattaya, I've yet to find anything to compete with the 2700 baht price above. 

I saw 3300 in Patts, but they did say you would get a 14 day quarantine and treatment for 30,000 all included.  A risk of going to a private hospital would be potentially high costs for a positive.. even asymptomatic.. Although, noticed one was email results only, which makes sense.. but an email might not suffice with the airlines, but then again, they aren't immigration. 

3 minutes ago, moontang said:

I saw 3300 in Patts, but they did say you would get a 14 day quarantine and treatment for 30,000 all included.  A risk of going to a private hospital would be potentially high costs for a positive.. even asymptomatic.. Although, noticed one was email results only, which makes sense.. but an email might not suffice with the airlines, but then again, they aren't immigration. 

Yeah, what a nightmare that would be--- going for an flight test and testing positive! Curious where this 30,000 inclusive deal is? Sounds like the best case scenario if one were to test positive (unlikely) in terms of cost. Test positive in a hospital and you're definitely not looking at only 30,000...

27 minutes ago, WuhanVagabond said:

Yeah, what a nightmare that would be--- going for an flight test and testing positive! Curious where this 30,000 inclusive deal is? Sounds like the best case scenario if one were to test positive (unlikely) in terms of cost. Test positive in a hospital and you're definitely not looking at only 30,000...

https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/hospital-news-en/packages-promotions-en/item/2740-covid19-screening-test-en.html

But, it is 3800 for the test.   And that does seem like a bargain for Bangkok Hospital, wherever, as they are known for being pricey by local standards... as in more like Bumrungrad than any government hospital. 

Edited by moontang
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moontang said:

https://www.bangkokpattayahospital.com/en/hospital-news-en/packages-promotions-en/item/2740-covid19-screening-test-en.html

But, it is 3800 for the test.   And that does seem like a bargain for Bangkok Hospital, wherever, as they are known for being pricey by local standards... as in more like Bumrungrad than any government hospital. 

Thanks for the link. Yeah, agreed. Very very unlikely to test positive here, but if I thought I'd been potentially exposed, this would be the best option I've heard of if not symptomatic (yet, if ever). Then again... most would prefer to self quarantine than be in a hospital for 14 days given the low mortality rate.

One thing, the link doesn't say anything about a certificate of any kind. Knowing places like this, I imagine a certificate that an airline will accept will be an additional charge. Can obviously sort it with a phone call query. 

43 minutes ago, WuhanVagabond said:

Thanks for the link. Yeah, agreed. Very very unlikely to test positive here, but if I thought I'd been potentially exposed, this would be the best option I've heard of if not symptomatic (yet, if ever). Then again... most would prefer to self quarantine than be in a hospital for 14 days given the low mortality rate.

One thing, the link doesn't say anything about a certificate of any kind. Knowing places like this, I imagine a certificate that an airline will accept will be an additional charge. Can obviously sort it with a phone call query. 

That was addressed by Piyavate.. 2500 for e results, 2700 for certificate, and 3000 for fit to fly... But, apparently, fit to fly isn't needed for the US. 

• Thanks 1

Update:  my ANA flight from HND to IAD was canceled.  Got a call from UAL, yesterday, and they rebooked me.  I picked her brain.  According to her, the US will take a standard lab report off your email.  But, the conditions of transiting through NRT are a bit more stringent.  They want first and foremost a QR code with all your info and test data on it.  So, the leaves the question of whether the Thai labs are issuing QR codes, and are they a part of the email lab report or is that going to be part of a more formal medical certificate.  And needless to state, this could all change tomorrow. 

Edited by moontang

Pretty sure this is up to date...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html#:~:text=On January 12%2C 2021%2C CDC,airline before boarding the flight.

VFS is the least expensive I've seen in/near metro-Bangkok. 2,750.

https://www.vfsglobal.com/en/individuals/covid-test.html

Most private hospitals are 4,000+

I personally would not transit Japan - they can/have stopped int'l (one airport) transit (and you can't transit NRT-HND of course), but things may be better in April? Better to go via DOH on QR IMO.

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Pretty sure this is up to date...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/testing-international-air-travelers.html#:~:text=On January 12%2C 2021%2C CDC,airline before boarding the flight.

VFS is the least expensive I've seen in/near metro-Bangkok. 2,750.

https://www.vfsglobal.com/en/individuals/covid-test.html

Most private hospitals are 4,000+

I personally would not transit Japan - they can/have stopped int'l (one airport) transit (and you can't transit NRT-HND of course), but things may be better in April? Better to go via DOH on QR IMO.

AA requires you to go transactions if using FFM.  Originally had a Cathay flight through HKG for October that was no go.  Otherwise, I would gladly give QR a try, especially to DC, where I am heading.

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I got a test at Bangkok Hospital last week- 3,300 drive through. Very easy, very professional and took about 10 mins from driving in to driving out. Results emailed the following day.

Good, that brings up a few questions.  Which Bangkok Hospital?  Many are saying "drive thru," how do they accommodate the millions of carless? Did you email results include a QR code?  Did you board a plane? 

5 minutes ago, moontang said:

Good, that brings up a few questions.  Which Bangkok Hospital?  Many are saying "drive thru," how do they accommodate the millions of carless? Did you email results include a QR code?  Did you board a plane? 

I went to the one just off Phetchburi Road near RCA centre of BKK. Its a car park of an old condominium just as you cross the rail road heading north off Phetcburi road. I did just got a lab report sent to me but i did not investigate other options they had. I did not need it for traveling, i just did it as my daughter needed it to go back to school and she did not want to get it alone. I presume you can walk in for carless

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I went to the one just off Phetchburi Road near RCA centre of BKK. Its a car park of an old condominium just as you cross the rail road heading north off Phetcburi road. I did just got a lab report sent to me but i did not investigate other options they had. I did not need it for traveling, i just did it as my daughter needed it to go back to school and she did not want to get it alone. I presume you can walk in for carless

Did the report have a QR code on it?  I was told that is what they want to see in Tokyo, and may even become an international standard. 

1 minute ago, moontang said:

Did the report have a QR code on it?  I was told that is what they want to see in Tokyo, and may even become an international standard. 

No it did not, but there were a number of options on different tests.