Thailand says COVID-19 vaccinations to start next month

Thailand says COVID-19 vaccinations to start next month

By Chayut Setboonsarng

2021-01-25T045045Z_1_LYNXMPEH0O0AH_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Health workers get ready to collect samples for further testing at Thanon Mitr Market, amid the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), in Bangkok, Thailand, January 19, 2021. REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand said on Monday it would start its coronavirus inoculation programme next month by administering 50,000 doses of AstraZeneca's vaccine to high-risk groups, as it faces accusations of being too slow to secure vaccines.

"We will start with medical personnel and high-risk individuals and areas," senior health official Sopon Mekton, told reporters.

Health workers in Samut Sakhon province, the epicentre of the latest outbreak, would be the first to be inoculated, then elderly and people with chronic diseases.

Thailand's food and drug administration last week approved AstraZeneca's vaccine for emergency use but has yet to grant authorisation for that of Sinovac Biotech, of which Thailand has ordered two million doses.

Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul on Monday said AstraZeneca would be supplying 50,000 fewer doses of the vaccine than the 200,000 Thailand had ordered.

"With the orders they have at hand, they just confirmed to us, they would supply 150,000 doses," Anutin told reporters, without elaborating, adding Thailand had initially requested one million doses.

Thailand has so far recorded only 13,687 infections and 75 coronavirus deaths.

The government has been criticised for taking too long to procure vaccines while neighbours in Southeast Asia start vaccinations or race to secure supplies from multiple companies. The government has rejected the criticism.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-25

• Like 1
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

that looks like yet another disaster.   "According to sources within the Indian government, the offer to supply the same vaccine, at cost, to Thailand (up to 2 million doses initially) was a

Plenty of time as most European countries are soooooo slooooow it takes them till September-October to vaccinate everybody. (Why??).   While Israel is done and dusted vaccinating it's entire

As much as I like to hear positive things said about Israel for a change, they really aren't a typical country to make a fair comparison. It's a very SMALL country both in geography and population and

Posted Images

I hope that with the recent Tanathorn issue, that AstraZeneca follows through with more doses and does not back out of the arrangement.  It sounds like they do not want to be in the middle of the political mess that's been created by this government. I hope it gets rectified and AstraZeneca does not cancel for the reasons stated in an article read two days ago 

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/astrazeneca-has-cold-feet-on-vaccine-plan-due-to-prosecution-of-critic-thanathorn-report/

• Like 2

Jam tomorrow. Let's wait and see if the vaccinations do indeed start as predicted. Right now, given the already hopeless track record with predictions like this I'd be inclined to say that I view it with a certain amount of scepticism.

Maybe it will, maybe it won't.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by Glaswegian2
  • Like 2

Thailand is too slow in rolling out the vaccine. Indonesia has already started.

There is a super-spreader party-hopper reported who went to Chiang Mai and Bangkok. I hope the numbers don't increase during the next few weeks.

• Like 1

Watching the Channel 32 news now, and Prayut was not his fiery self but seemed very subdued as he tried to discuss the AstraZenica vaccination program and the chosen bioscience laboratory to make the vaccine on Thai soil, as well as the Les Majeste issue.  I think he has been pinched from both ends now, 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

Plenty of time as most European countries are soooooo slooooow it takes them till September-October to vaccinate everybody. (Why??).

While Israel is done and dusted vaccinating it's entire population by the end of March. (that's the way to do it !).

Coz not get vaccine! Like AstraZeneca promice 90 million dose right away but deliver only 31 million!

Israel have own deal about vaccine and it pay more from dose than EU!

• Like 1