Renewing Thai Passport and ID After Expiration

Hello,

I have a Thai passport and ID that is expiring when I'm 18 and from what I know I can only renew my Thai passport and ID on my own when I'm 20 or older. Can I let my Thai passport and ID expire and either stay in Thailand or go to the USA (on my US passport) and return to Thailand with a tourist's visa and then renew my Thai passport and ID? And, if I have to go to the USA and return to Thailand with a tourist's visa should I leave Thailand on my Thai or USA passport? (I read online that I would have to use the same passport as I used when leaving the country.) And, if it's possible, can anyone tell me what documents I would need and the procedure of renewing my Thai passport and ID after they expire? I know I can let my parents go with me to renew my Thai passport and ID but I prefer not to do that for personal reasons.

Thank you.

I don't think parental consent is needed to renew your ID card since is it mandatory you have one.

Parental consent is needed to apply for a passport since indirectly it is giving consent for you to leave the country. Your parents do not have to be with you to apply for a new passport.

"If an applicant is over 15 years of age but still has not reached the age of majority   wishes to apply for an e-Passport, what will the applicant need to do?
- Applicants over 15 years of age but have not reached the age of 20 can apply for an         e-Passport without parental accompaniment but will need to bring a letter of consent from their parents or a legal guardian."

All that is needed it to have them sign this consent form. https://image.mfa.go.th/mfa/0/zE6021nSnu/เอกสาร/หนังสือให้ความยินยิม.pdf

Best to get your new passport rather than using your US passport to enter the country,

You must use the same passport when leaving the country that was used for entry.

No need to use the same passport to enter the country that used for departure.

Here's why you always need a plan B.....covid or not:

My wife and I traveled to the US last Feb intending to return in May.  Then Covid hit and Thailand imposed all sorts of restrictions.  We have vacationed in the US most every year for the past 24, and my wife always flies with her US passport.  When we finally thought we could make it back in Sept, my wife discovered that she could only return on a Thai passport (she has dual citizenship).  Well, her Thai passport expired in 2015 and was locked up in our home in Thailand.  The embassy was willing to issue her a Certificate of Identity that would be good for 30 days (lots and lots of paperwork to get a CI!.......you must be able to read the Thai forms!).  She got one.......only to find out she couldn't travel during that period because she came up covid positive the day before we were due to leave.  The Thai Embassy DC is now going to issue her a temporary 1-year passport.....pretty much because we've developed a friendly relationship with one of the staff members there.  We're finally due to leave in mid-Feb.....exactly 1 year after we arrived.

Long story short.........don't take anything for granted.  The rules can....and have....changed from month to month.  Before you leave the country, I'd highly advise getting your Thai ID and passport renewed.  Have at least photo copies of your house paper/birth certificate/marriage certificate.....all those things you didn't expect to need when vacationing outside of Thailand. Expat or not, Thai/US or not, if you are currently in Thailand, have a plan B.

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am sure they do not need to be with your or grant you consent to get your new ID card.

wow! Thank you so much! I was soo worried about my Thai ID because in Thailand you need Thai ID to do almost everything here. I confirmed with my mom that I could probably renew the Thai ID on my own without parents going to the amphur or having parental consent. If this is the case, I don't have to worry about my Thai passport too much as I would only need it if I were to leave or come back to Thailand. I can probably let my Thai passport expire when I'm 18 and when I'm 20 I can renew/apply for a new Thai passport (which only requires a few documents like an application form, Thai ID card or Thai house registration, and current Thai passport). 

Thank you so much for all of your help! It has helped me greatly.

Archived