Thai Tourist Arrivals at Decade Low as New Wave Clouds Outlook

snoop1130

Thai Tourist Arrivals at Decade Low as New Wave Clouds Outlook

By Randy Thanthong-Knight and Prim Chuwiruch

dd.jpg

(Bloomberg) -- Foreign tourist arrivals into Thailand plunged to the lowest level in at least 12 years after the country closed its borders to contain the coronavirus outbreak, with a resurgence in infections now undermining efforts to reopen the industry.

Tourist arrivals slumped to 6.7 million in 2020 from 39.9 million a year earlier, data from the Ministry of Tourism and Sports showed Monday. That’s the lowest number of visitors since at least 2008, according to ministry data.

Full Story: https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/thai-tourist-arrivals-at-decade-low-as-new-wave-clouds-outlook-1.1553412

I have never seen so many old farangs with young ladies here in Pattaya. Perhaps the family tourists don't have enough urge to come (the last word you can interpret up to your liking...) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

With the majority arriving in the first 2 months and slowing down in March before the borders slammed shut.  Is this any surprise to those of us who live here and see the effects that Covid had had.  There is no other way to put it except to say "Tourism is in a Coma"

"Tour-ism in a coma, I know, I know, it's very serious..."

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Nout said:

There are no tourists coming here family or otherwise. The mainstay of the Thai foreign economy is the retirees and the lasses are lucky to have them and they know it

Yes people living here try to come back. But I also have never seen so many sex tourists here. I think they are more obvious without other tourists. Anyway - Pattaya is still one of the biggest brothels in the world and I see no change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

I guess you never been to Amsterdam or Hamburg

I know both. But in both cities it is a relatively small area and not the whole city. And especially Amsterdam has a lot more to offer than sex. I have been there many times - not for sex. I have heard that they want to move this red light district to a different location because many people are annoyed. 

9 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

"Tour-ism in a coma, I know, I know, it's very serious..."

Tourism, the act and process of spending time away from home in pursuit of recreation, relaxation, and pleasure, while making use of the commercial provision of services.  Commercial Provision of services is the key as most of these business are circling the drain, Coma induced by the Government and the Virus, waiting on the next set of non-international fliers to shake of the tourism industries deep sleep that it is slowly going into.  Yes, traces of sarcasm can be found sprinkled within the words written.  Cement boots have been placed upon the industry, but the bodies of the businesses are still visible above the surface due to the drought.....ouch

3 minutes ago, mr mr said:

i rode past the TAT building yesterday on my bike...it was like a ghost town. 

TAT has now reported that their offices are not empty but filled with hundreds of thousands of Ghosts of tourists.  TAT to now be known at PeeTAT

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

How is it only the lowest in a decade? 

Well TAT had to put some kind of positive spin on the story in order to drum up business with tourists.  This way they know that the country was available and there would be no full venues so that Tourists could come and visit with ease.  Wait was that the point of the story, or did I dream that Tourism was nonexistent.....Hmm, need more coffee

Well when the date gets to Dec 31 2021, and maybe a few thousand people have

bravely travelled to Thailand to escape their cold Winter, and stay in country

for a year because of the next lock down, TAT will just be a small shadow of itself

as the mass of people will not be needed.  Same same for Immigration, and some

other tourist related Government agencies.  I think that 2022 may be a start of recovery

but, I still will not be excited to leave Canada if it looks like I may be stuck in Thailand

for more than a few months.

Geezer

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

How is it only the lowest in a decade? 

It's the lowest in a decade because they're only looking back that far. In reality it's more likely lowest figure in 30 years. If they count Mar20-Mar21, it'd probably be lowest since '70s.

On 1/25/2021 at 8:21 AM, ThailandRyan said:

With the majority arriving in the first 2 months and slowing down in March before the borders slammed shut.  Is this any surprise to those of us who live here and see the effects that Covid had had.  There is no other way to put it except to say "Tourism is in a Coma"

that's only a 85% drop ????

On 1/25/2021 at 12:11 PM, Olivie said:

The next and last window will be october-november 2021.
If borders are not reopened, A big part of tourism industry will be bankrupt.

PS: even if they reopen in 2021, I dont see millions of tourists arriving...

it's never going to be happening again, we will look back at 2010 and that decade as the good old days,

and it was ????

14 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Well when the date gets to Dec 31 2021, and maybe a few thousand people have

bravely travelled to Thailand to escape their cold Winter, and stay in country

for a year because of the next lock down, TAT will just be a small shadow of itself

as the mass of people will not be needed.  Same same for Immigration, and some

other tourist related Government agencies.  I think that 2022 may be a start of recovery

but, I still will not be excited to leave Canada if it looks like I may be stuck in Thailand

for more than a few months.

Geezer

Canada now enforcing more travel restrictions 

maybe hotel quarantine at travellers expense 

perhaps NO non essential travel

well wait and see

i back these restrictions 

????????????????

Until everyone who travels,  has had their vaccines, and even after that,  the tourist numbers

will be very low.  I think that the dreamers in TAT will keep spouting big numbers,

as they will be out of a job if they are not needed, and with no tourists, no TAT.

Have fun everybody.  Stay safe and healthy.

Geezer