Thailand’s restaurants plead to stay open to 11pm

snoop1130

Thailand’s restaurants plead to stay open to 11pm

download (1).jpg

Image: Reuters file photo

Thailand’s Restaurants Association has pleaded with the government to allow restaurants to open until 11pm.

Restaurants are currently allowed to open until 9pm but the association says the restrictions are having a huge impact on businesses and are causing massive losses for restaurant owners.

They said sales have dropped by as much as 70 percent, with customers simply not visiting  restaurants because of the restricted opening hours. 

Now, Thailand Chamber of Commerce chair, Kalin Sarasin, said he will follow up the association’s request with the government, Amarin TV reported.

Association president Thaniwan Kulmongkol appealed to the prime minister directly saying that if restaurants were not allowed to open later, many would be forced to go out of business. 

She added that restaurants have put strict social distancing measures in place and should be allowed to open past 9pm.

Meanwhile, Thailand’s Channel 3 reported on Monday that a decision to extend the opening hours of restaurants could be announced as soon as Tuesday, pending approval from the  Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-25

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Restaurants are currently allowed to open until 9pm but the association says the restrictions are having a huge impact on businesses and are causing massive losses for restaurant owners

Complete garbage... they can open from 5am to 9pm... plenty of time to make a profit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

Restaurants have to close at 9PM??

Is this all of Thailand or restricted areas only?

If it is just certain areas, it should be made clear in the article.

Here in Khon Kaen restaurants that I see are keeping to their normal hours.

Mind you, I suppose that these are restaurants when bars are not allowed to open, so maybe they are bars when restaurants have to close.

I do seem to miss some announcements. Like when bars where allowed to re-open after the lockdown, they had to close at midnight. I don't remember seeing this order rescinded but bars are open till 3 AM. I also never saw the order about no live music rescinded either.