I have a Thai drivers license...how to add a motorcycle license to it?

I have a 2 year thai drivers license that recently expired (Jan. 8)

I have a motorcycle license from my home country that I would like to add to my Thai license when I re-new it... Has anybody ever gone thru this process?  

I've read that Thai licenses that have expired within the last year are still valid due to the pandemic... Any advice?

Yep it's a separate license. Looks just like the car license except there is a picture of a motorbike on the back instead of a car. You will have to do all the paperwork again, take a written test again, watch a video and then take a driver's test on your motorbike. Good luck.

i have both car and motorcycle Thai DLs ... and I have it such that they expire the same date.. The last time i renewed (from 5yr to another 5yr) I did have to do double paperwork (ie one set of papers for the car DL and one set for the motorbike DL) but i only needed to sit for the video and take the reaction/vision test once.. photos however have to be taken independently - i guess they can’t apply one photo to more than one card .. 

If your driver license for to mobike is in English, they might just transfer it into a Thai drivers license. If it is not in English they might ask for a certified translation.

If they will accept either one, no video, no test, no nothing. Just reaction and sight tests.

Checkk it out. Of course it all depends on the DLT, where, which clerk, what mood ...

Good luck

Edited by cucme
typo

On 1/26/2021 at 4:45 AM, scubascuba3 said:

There may be additional tests for the motorbike licence as you haven't got an Intl Driving Permit. 

The 2 year car licence renewal is no problem, if you have a long term visa it will go to a 5 year licence

When I came here 7 years ago I had an Australian dry\ivers license and an international driving permit. All I had to do was traffic light colour test. I also applied for my motorbike license and had to sit test, drive bike on course.

I got both licenses in Phetchaburi province DLT using my USA car and motorcycle licence. In USA its one license with an M to show motorcycle endorsement. Only reaction time/depth perception/color test. No video, written, or driving tests. Renewed both together recently with same minimum tests. 

Separate licences, paperwork, and fees as others have noted. Both have my passport number on them and often serves as an ID card here for minor things. 

Nobody can actually say what will be required - every office and possibly every officer does things differently but whatever, its not difficult. I have a full UK bike licence and I was simply asked to state which colours some traffic lights on a video were and do a 'brake pedal' reaction test - again by video.

If you have a 'big bike' there are changes afoot, its going to be a different licence and you may have to do some training or prove experience - last I heard we were still waiting for the details and it comes in next month!!

On 1/25/2021 at 9:07 PM, ZergBurger said:

I have a motorcycle license from my home country

What country/language is the driving license?

As others wrote: it's a separate license/plastic card.

If your home country license is accepted you only have to do physical tests (reaction, eye sight/color blindness) aside from the paperwork. No written or driving test in this case.

Due to Covid related measures there might be another suspension for doing license renewal, physical tests, written tests, driving tests.

I am not up-to-date about the current status.

Only noticed that our DLT office was quiet when I paid motorbike tax.

I have an American drivers license and motorcycle license... I bought a motorcycle and it would be nice to drive it around the neighborhood, but I'm sure as hell not going to drive it illegally. When I get out of quarantine i will go apply for the motorcycle license and update my expired (by one month)  drivers license in Chiang Mai. I'll update you guys when it is done about the process I experience

Edited by ZergBurger

4 minutes ago, ZergBurger said:

I have an American drivers license and motorcycle license... I bought a motorcycle and it would be nice to drive it around the neighborhood, but I'm sure as hell not going to drive it illegally. When I get out of quarantine i will go apply for the motorcycle license and update my expired (by one month)  drivers license in Chiang Mai. I'll update you guys when it is done about the process I experience

Shouldn't be hard with a valid motorcycle license from the states unless your bike is 400cc or more. Than you will need a big bike license which I think means you need to go to a big bike drivers school.

1 hour ago, ZergBurger said:

Don't forget you will also need a Certificate of Residence from Immigration to give to DLT as well, The COR paperwork/Form you fill out will indicate it will be needed for a motorcycle license, and the COR will state on it what it is for as well..

You may need an International Drivung license but maybe not

thst you’ve already got a Thai DL. I’ve US DL valid for another 

6 years car and motorcycle. 

2 Year was a pain at the local driving license office. When I went to

renew to 5 years I was sent to Udon Thani and it was painless. Braking/light color test one more test which was easy once I stood 

up so I could see what they were asking to do.. 

18 hours ago, new2here said:

i have both car and motorcycle Thai DLs ... and I have it such that they expire the same date.. The last time i renewed (from 5yr to another 5yr)

I too have both 5yr Car and M/C licences however due to me not bothering to apply for the M/C licence at same time as car, they expire 2-3yrs apart meaning 2 trips to DLT every 5 years (not end of the world though). Does anyone here know how, if possible, to get the licences aligned so that that bothcan be renewed at the same time?

Are DLT accepting appointments now for Thai car drivers license and how do you make an appointment. Tried the DLT queue app but got nowhere. 

One agent (fatboys) told me that the office they deal with is close (which might mean no appointments available) 

Any help appreciated.

Yes I have tried calling. Just recorded junk.

Edited by DrJack54

I did a straight swap over from my aussie bike & car licence, just had to do the colour tests etc but if you already have a car licence they should just give you the bike licence. With my heavy vehicle licence the man running it wanted a back hander so I just laughed at him & walked off but a bike change over should be  fine & straight forward

• 2 weeks later...

Update Feb 8, 2021. I went to Chiang Mai immigration  to get a residence certificate, and asked why i wanted one. I replied to get a license, and was declined the residence certificate. I cannot get a license on a TR visa. Was told to contact my embassy. Sad 

9 minutes ago, ZergBurger said:

Update Feb 8, 2021. I went to Chiang Mai immigration  to get a residence certificate, and asked why i wanted one. I replied to get a license, and was declined the residence certificate. I cannot get a license on a TR visa. Was told to contact my embassy. Sad 

@ZergBurger Residency Certificates are available at copy shop across the road. Next day delivery for Bht 1,000. Embassy will cost slightly more but I believe it will last one year, not one month. C-M immigration alledgedly stopped issuing CoR's a while back and won't start again until emergency decree is ended. I updated licenses from 2-5 years at Mae Hia last week........

Edited by UncleMhee

On 1/27/2021 at 7:51 PM, ZergBurger said:

You will probably just have to do the Vision/Response test, and maybe watch the video at the very worst.

Update #2. I went to both promenada and the official immigration Monday, denied a TR. My gf emailed them on facebook,  and they told me to come in, and immigration then made a post about how people that have TR visas can in fact get a residency certificate. I went in Tuesday and while I was finishing up, I asked for the 500 baht next day service. She says that is unavailable now, and I will have to wait for the document in the mail. I wonder how long it will take? Classic Thailand. I guess I can't complain, I will get my licenses just slightly delayed. I would have been better off using a professional service and paying a bit more. (assuming it worked lol) 

• Like 1