Can a Non O-A visa in effect last for two years?

I gather that if the visa holder returns to Thailand the day before the Non O-A visa expires, the visa is still valid for another 12 months as an extension?

Is this true?

If the holder leaves the kingdom after the initial 12 months can they just return from overseas to Thailand on the original Non O-A, by simply gettig a Re-entry permit?

Just need to know how exactly this nearly two years of entry into Thailand is achieved...

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, fishtank said:

No idea what a ripper visa is.

Aussie slang:

Ripper. Chances are, you'll be using this word a lot. Meaning awesome or fantastic, if something is “bloody ripper” it must be totally amazing!

4 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Thanks guys, so all I need to do is have the re-entry visa and the mandatory insurance evey time I want to come back in, nothing else?

Re Entry Visa only for the second year.

After that you need to apply for an extension.

5 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Thanks guys, so all I need to do is have the re-entry visa and the mandatory insurance evey time I want to come back in, nothing else?

Just some minor stuff ...related to "second year". Your insurance policy needs to match your dates. You can deal with that later.

Just one person's opinion.,if your planning on returning to home country every couple of years then a non O-A is viable/good option. On the other hand, if your plan is to live in Thailand ongoing then I would obtain non O based on retirement. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Just some minor stuff ...related to "second year". Your insurance policy needs to match your dates. You can deal with that later.

Just one person's opinion.,if your planning on returning to home country every couple of years then a non O-A is viable/good option. On the other hand, if your plan is to live in Thailand ongoing then I would obtain non O based on retirement. 

i plan spending 4-8 months per year in Thailand, and would rather not have 800k festering in a Thai bank....

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

Re Entry Visa only for the second year.

After that you need to apply for an extension.

So after returning in "year 2" for the first time do I have to apply for an extension in Thailand, needing 800k in a thai bank etc?

1 minute ago, Dazzler said:

i plan spending 4-8 months per year in Thailand, and would rather not have 800k festering in a Thai bank....

In that case a non O-A is an option. The other option would be to use agent to bypass funds in Thai bank. Approximately 25k per year. Do the sums

3 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

So after returning in "year 2" for the first time do I have to apply for an extension in Thailand, needing 800k in a thai bank etc?

No. 

That comment was referring to remaining in Thailand post 2 years and obtaining extension to do so.

10 hours ago, Dazzler said:

I gather that if the visa holder returns to Thailand the day before the Non O-A visa expires, the visa is still valid for another 12 months as an extension?

No. The Visa expires on it's enter before date, but your permission of stay is valid for another 12 months.

10 hours ago, Dazzler said:

Just need to know how exactly this nearly two years of entry into Thailand is achieved...

Firstly, understand that the period of Visa validity is different from the period of stay

Visa validity is the period during which a Visa can be used to enter Thailand.

The period of stay is granted by an Immigration officer upon entry and in accordance with the type of Visa.

During the validity of the Non Imm O-A Visa, which is 1 year from the date of issue, you can enter Thailand multiple times and on each entry you will be granted permission of stay for 1 year.

To take advantage of staying 2 years, you must re-enter just before the 'enter before' date on the Visa, at which point you will be granted permission of stay for another year (2nd year).

However when the Visa expires on the 'enter before' date you lose the multi entry facility that Visa afforded.

For the 2nd year of stay, you can purchase a separate re-entry permit (single or multi entry) from your local Immigration office which protects your current permission of stay should you want to leave and re-enter during that 2nd years stay.

At the end of that 2nd years stay you either obtain another O-A Visa from a Thai Embassy (repeating the cycle) ,or you can apply to extend that 1 years permission of stay for a further 1 year at your local Immigration office subject to meeting the financial requirements.

52 minutes ago, ChristianBlessing said:

If you are seriously thinking of limiting your stay to 4 to 8 months perhaps consider the METV (Multiple Entry Thai Visa). 

The METV is currently suspended as an option.

For tourism purposes (more than 45 days)

Tourists can apply for single entry tourist visa (single entry only for stay up to 60 days) and special tourist visa (for stay up to 90 days) at www.thaievisa.go.th Currently, the multiple entry tourist visa (6 months) are currently suspended and the Embassy is not allowed to issue it.

Requirements for foreigners travelling to Thailand during COVID-19 travel restriction - Royal Thai Embassy, London

32 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The METV is currently suspended as an option.

For tourism purposes (more than 45 days)

Tourists can apply for single entry tourist visa (single entry only for stay up to 60 days) and special tourist visa (for stay up to 90 days) at www.thaievisa.go.th Currently, the multiple entry tourist visa (6 months) are currently suspended and the Embassy is not allowed to issue it.

Requirements for foreigners travelling to Thailand during COVID-19 travel restriction - Royal Thai Embassy, London

Thanks. I was not aware of that.

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

No. The Visa expires on it's enter before date, but your permission of stay is valid for another 12 months.

Firstly, understand that the period of Visa validity is different from the period of stay

Visa validity is the period during which a Visa can be used to enter Thailand.

The period of stay is granted by an Immigration officer upon entry and in accordance with the type of Visa.

During the validity of the Non Imm O-A Visa, which is 1 year from the date of issue, you can enter Thailand multiple times and on each entry you will be granted permission of stay for 1 year.

To take advantage of staying 2 years, you must re-enter just before the 'enter before' date on the Visa, at which point you will be granted permission of stay for another year (2nd year).

However when the Visa expires on the 'enter before' date you lose the multi entry facility that Visa afforded.

For the 2nd year of stay, you can purchase a separate re-entry permit (single or multi entry) from your local Immigration office which protects your current permission of stay should you want to leave and re-enter during that 2nd years stay.

At the end of that 2nd years stay you either obtain another O-A Visa from a Thai Embassy (repeating the cycle) ,or you can apply to extend that 1 years permission of stay for a further 1 year at your local Immigration office subject to meeting the financial requirements.

Thanks for that, regarding after the 2 years stay, where can I apply to extend the 1 year permission of stay for a further year, in Thailand or in the country where the O-A visa was initially issued?

11 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Thanks for that, regarding after the 2 years stay, where can I apply to extend the 1 year permission of stay for a further year, in Thailand or in the country where the O-A visa was initially issued?

At your local Immigration office, subject to meeting the financial requirements for a 1 year extension based on retirement.

The Non O-A Visa can only be applied for and obtained from the Thai Embassy in your home Country or a Country where you have permanent residency status.

What I don't get is why we have to have 800'000 in a Thai bank what's the purpose? If this is for emergency treatment ect.ok but if use agents you don't need it . Very odd is the agent a guarantor?  For the money..if you need it ?

3 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

if use agents you don't need it

That's a bit of a "grey area" using loopholes.

3 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

Very odd is the agent a guarantor?  For the money..if you need it ?

Not a chance.

1 minute ago, yeahbutif said:

What I don't get is why we have to have 800'000 in a Thai bank what's the purpose? If this is for emergency treatment ect.ok but if use agents you don't need it . Very odd is the agent a guarantor?  For the money..if you need it ?

You don't need 800K in a Thai bank for a Non O-A Visa application, the required funds can be in any bank any Country.

The 800K in a Thai bank is only a requirement if extending your permission of stay for 1 year at a local Immigration office. It's to demonstrate you have sufficient funds to cover living expenses for 1 year.

18 hours ago, fishtank said:

Yes you understand it well.

It is a multi entry visa.

No idea what a ripper visa is.

Except that the second year, after the visa expires, it is your permission to stay that has been extended for twelve months, not the visa. The clue is hidden in the phrase,” after the visa expireds,” which also explains the need for a re-entry permit if you exit the country and want to re-enter the country without losing the balance of your extended permission to stay ... your visa has expired.

18 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

It was originally brought out for Peter Sutcliffe

Ripper” as Australian slang first appeared in print in the early 1970s (although it may be older in oral use), but it is clearly derived from “ripper” used as a slang noun in Britain to mean “something excellent” beginning in the early 18th century (“You have a ripper of a city to see,” London Magazine, 1825).Jan 28, 2011

Bit prior to Sutcliffe.

I understand this approach only works for a second year.   I have found it simpler to get a Non Imm O-A visa through thai embassy with multiple entries.   It only costs $200, does not require Thai bank account and once you do it once or twice it’s quite simple.  I have done this for 10 years. Only issue is running out of space in your pass port. ????

1 hour ago, Marknreston said:

It only costs $200, does not require Thai bank account

Aren't you forgetting the costs of return flights and the compulsory medical Insurance?

The last expat I knew with no Thai bank account, collapsed, needed heart surgery, but was placed on a life support in ICU. When it transpired he had no funds in Thailand, his family couldn't cover the medical cost and no one other than the patient, who was incapacitated, had access to his foreign account, they turned the life support off.

TIT.

On 1/25/2021 at 3:19 PM, DrJack54 said:

Added note to OP.

Previously this was a ripper visa. However be aware that it has an mandatory insurance requirement and that continues for extensions based on retirement. Not so for extension based on marriage.

This guy @Peter Denis has posted much advice re your health insurance options. 

@Dazzler > I did PM you a Guideline document on how to meet the mandatory health-insurance requirement when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa at the Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country.  It is easy and not expensive (if you know how).

Archived