Can a Non O-A visa in effect last for two years?

I gather that if the visa holder returns to Thailand the day before the Non O-A visa expires, the visa is still valid for another 12 months as an extension?

Is this true?

If the holder leaves the kingdom after the initial 12 months can they just return from overseas to Thailand on the original Non O-A, by simply gettig a Re-entry permit?

Just need to know how exactly this nearly two years of entry into Thailand is achieved...

Thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes you understand it well. It is a multi entry visa. No idea what a ripper visa is.

Added note to OP. Previously this was a ripper visa. However be aware that it has an mandatory insurance requirement and that continues for extensions based on retirement. Not so for extension ba

Aussie slang:    

Yes.

Your first year includes multi entry.

Just prior to it expires, exit and re-enter.

You will be stamped in for another 12 months. In second year you would need reentry permit if you wish to exit and reenter

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

Added note to OP.

Previously this was a ripper visa. However be aware that it has an mandatory insurance requirement and that continues for extensions based on retirement. Not so for extension based on marriage.

This guy @Peter Denis has posted much advice re your health insurance options. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, fishtank said:

No idea what a ripper visa is.

Aussie slang:

Ripper. Chances are, you'll be using this word a lot. Meaning awesome or fantastic, if something is “bloody ripper” it must be totally amazing!

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Thanks guys, so all I need to do is have the re-entry visa and the mandatory insurance evey time I want to come back in, nothing else?

Re Entry Visa only for the second year.

After that you need to apply for an extension.

1 minute ago, fishtank said:

I remember Shane Warne talking about a Ripper delivery.

Was he talking about on the field or when taking delivery of a brown envelope from a Sri Lankan called John? 555

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Thanks guys, so all I need to do is have the re-entry visa and the mandatory insurance evey time I want to come back in, nothing else?

Just some minor stuff ...related to "second year". Your insurance policy needs to match your dates. You can deal with that later.

Just one person's opinion.,if your planning on returning to home country every couple of years then a non O-A is viable/good option. On the other hand, if your plan is to live in Thailand ongoing then I would obtain non O based on retirement. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Just some minor stuff ...related to "second year". Your insurance policy needs to match your dates. You can deal with that later.

Just one person's opinion.,if your planning on returning to home country every couple of years then a non O-A is viable/good option. On the other hand, if your plan is to live in Thailand ongoing then I would obtain non O based on retirement. 

i plan spending 4-8 months per year in Thailand, and would rather not have 800k festering in a Thai bank....

1 hour ago, fishtank said:

Re Entry Visa only for the second year.

After that you need to apply for an extension.

So after returning in "year 2" for the first time do I have to apply for an extension in Thailand, needing 800k in a thai bank etc?

1 minute ago, Dazzler said:

i plan spending 4-8 months per year in Thailand, and would rather not have 800k festering in a Thai bank....

In that case a non O-A is an option. The other option would be to use agent to bypass funds in Thai bank. Approximately 25k per year. Do the sums

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

So after returning in "year 2" for the first time do I have to apply for an extension in Thailand, needing 800k in a thai bank etc?

No. 

That comment was referring to remaining in Thailand post 2 years and obtaining extension to do so.

• Thanks 1