How to find/apply for jobs in Thailand at 16 years old?

Hello,

I'm going to turn 16 next month and I'm thinking about getting a job so that I can contribute to my family's finance and not be too dependent on my parents. I've been searching around the internet about jobs for teenagers in Thailand (for pretty much the whole year) but have not been very successful at it. Does anyone know where to find/apply for jobs in Thailand at 16 years old and what type of jobs would be best for a 16 year old in Thailand. English speaking jobs preferred but I can speak Thai with a bit of a difficult and only a beginner when it comes to reading and writing Thai (I am half Thai but my education has been more involved in English).

Thank you.

Due to current economic condition, general sector employment may be difficult. Take into consideration that you have some asset because you are Thai, even if your Thai language skill is not the best. Almost every farang family needs help with family things like;

- Getting kids to and from school

- Helping older person with shopping or general like changing light bulb or running personal errand. 

- Exercising dog

- Cleaning pool

Sure, these people who would need such help have staff like maid and pool guy, but here is your advantage: You can be trusted. You speak English and have grown up in home that will most likely not be too different from theirs. They won't have to explain many times, and they will be able to have confidence in you that you will be reliable. This is the big problem many of the older farangs have in thailand - they have no one they can trust with important stuff. Sure you are kid, but if they see you as trustworthy, they would prefer to entrust family and  animals to someone like you than somchai who may smile alot, but will probably be drinking  his whiskey when they are not looking. The poolguy comes once a week, but they need someone 1X a day. The guy who washes the car probably won't do as good as job as you will.  If you know how to use a computer, maybe you can show old farangs how to use their phone properly or how to do basic computer maintenance like backup and cleaning cookies. Many farangs know nothing.  Some of these old people hate having to go to the store. If you were around to do special services for them, it would be easier. Some of these people wear adult diaper, and if you buy for them it saves the  embarrassment. People would look at you and say, what a niceman for buying for his  aged relative. And yes, it is funny to read, but so many of them have to wear such garments.

Also, may I suggest you take the opportunity to improve Thai language skills , because it is easier now then when you become old person 25 years+. Your brain is till good.  ????

1 hour ago, BlueFlowery01 said:

I am half Thai but my education has been more involved in English

Maybe you could do English tutoring? Schools might want people with degrees, but it might be possible to do it privately &/online. There are also some online diplomas that aren't too expensive.

2 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Due to current economic condition, general sector employment may be difficult. Take into consideration that you have some asset because you are Thai, even if your Thai language skill is not the best. Almost every farang family needs help with family things like;

- Getting kids to and from school

- Helping older person with shopping or general like changing light bulb or running personal errand. 

- Exercising dog

- Cleaning pool

Sure, these people who would need such help have staff like maid and pool guy, but here is your advantage: You can be trusted. You speak English and have grown up in home that will most likely not be too different from theirs. They won't have to explain many times, and they will be able to have confidence in you that you will be reliable. This is the big problem many of the older farangs have in thailand - they have no one they can trust with important stuff. Sure you are kid, but if they see you as trustworthy, they would prefer to entrust family and  animals to someone like you than somchai who may smile alot, but will probably be drinking  his whiskey when

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I will keep it in mind when finding jobs.

As far as I know you need to be 18 years old to be regularly employed somewhere in Thailand, so the usual job offerings will always say at least 18 years old.

This doesn't mean that it's impossible to find a job somewhere (my girlfriend's brother isn't 18 and works full time at a restaurant in a mall), but the job offers you find publicly will usually not address you and those jobs are usually found because you know somebody who knows somebody...

With good English but not so good Thai skills you should find jobs where English is used, because this gives you an advantage, while you would have disadvantages in the classical Thai student jobs.

The two main options (offering to help foreigners with whatever, as well as teaching English) were already suggested by the other posters. But you do of course have to take into consideration where you live in Thailand.

If you live in one of the bigger cities there will be foreigners who could use your help, if on the other hand you live in Nakhon Nowhere, there will just be too few foreigners, and you should focus on the teaching part.

To address foreigners one of the best options would probably be through Facebook groups, there are a variety of them, let's say you are in Bangkok, then just search for something like "bangkok expats".

13 hours ago, jackdd said:

If you live in one of the bigger cities there will be foreigners who could use your help, if on the other hand you live in Nakhon Nowhere, there will just be too few foreigners, and you should focus on the teaching part.

To address foreigners one of the best options would probably be through Facebook groups, there are a variety of them, let's say you are in Bangkok, then just search for something like "bangkok expats".

Well current I'm living near Sathon but will be moving Samut Prakan soon. I see quite a few jobs that are located in Samut Prakan. I'll also search for Facebook groups and "bangkok expats" like you mentioned. Thank you very much!

Go apply at any " Auto Dealers  Service Department" and you should get a job. In Pattaya 20% of cars are bought by foreigners and most of the dealers don't have anybody that speaks English. That's why I hate going to Mazda in Pattaya. All 8 of the service employees don' understand a word I say. To get a problem fixed I have to hire a Thai to go with me that translates for me, it sucks.