Customs process/ bag checks during COVID?

Marinelli

Thai national returning home during covid.

Partner is carrying home a heap of stuff we bought or received as Christmas presents. Cosmetics, perfume, multivitamins, chocolate etc etc

Are they likely to have bags thoroughly checked etc on arrival? I havent had a bag checked in near on 10 years but they have, twice.

Last return the debate with customs over "tax" due for two feather duvets was a pain in the ass....and this time theyre carrying a heap more stuff.

Anyways...debating wether to hold onto it all and take it later...or if everything is just being waived through at the moment onto the ASQ hotel?

Cheers for the input.

M

Edited by Marinelli
  • Haha 1

A lot has to do with how you relate to these people.

I just leer at them and as long as there is eye contact there is no problem.

They are mostly interested in drugs only the dogs will have vetted you before that point or duty free cigarettes and alcohol which can make money for them.

I wouid just take it all and be dammed.

In my experience I (with my then wife) was only ever stopped when we had stuff - mostly homewares and furnishings - in cardboard boxes. Customs never seem too bothered checking suitcases of farangs but definitely do target asian females (particularly returning Thais) for stuff such as expensive designer clothes and handbags being brought into Thailand for re-sale.

I had a stand off with customs when bringing in duvets and pillows (in boxes) a few years ago. The lady officers didn't really know what the rules were so I just stood and smiled while keeping calm. In the end they just gave up and told me to go and even offered to help tape the boxes up again. This was in "normal" times and I don't expect it to be much different in Covid times however they may not want to much interaction for fear of infection. Good luck.

Edited by soi3eddie

21 minutes ago, jobsworth said:

A lot has to do with how you relate to these people.

I just leer at them and as long as there is eye contact there is no problem.

They are mostly interested in drugs only the dogs will have vetted you before that point or duty free cigarettes and alcohol which can make money for them.

I wouid just take it all and be dammed.

Boy you must be a scary leerer!

I’ve brought so much stuff into Thailand and never so much as received  glance from customs...

Bikes, Ski’s, car seats, isofix bases, new Pushchairs, Motorcycle kit, Air-Purifiers (sold out in Thailand), extra bags of ‘stuff’... clothing, loads of toys (sons toys coming back from a Christmas in the UK (not this year))....

I’ve passed through Suvarnambumi arrivals about 8-10 times per year on average since it opened. 

The chances of being stopped are quite minimal, but the risk is always present...

• Haha 1

You do realize that you get a 20,000 baht (per person) exemption, right?

Are you and your partner bringing in more than 40,000 baht worth of goods? 

Definitely don't bring any designer handbags in the original box.

Customs Procedure for arriving passengers at the Nothing to Declare or Green Channel

Passengers with nothing to declare means they do not have any items liable for duty and taxes and prohibited or restricted goods with them when arriving in Thailand. For this case, they should use the Nothing to Declare lane, and the following items are exempted from duty: 

Personal belongings in reasonable quantity, which are worth no more than 20,000 baht in total and are not prohibited or restricted goods or food

http://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160905_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_01

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Marinelli said:

Thai national returning home during covid.

Partner is carrying home a heap of stuff we bought or received as Christmas presents. Cosmetics, perfume, multivitamins, chocolate etc etc

Are they likely to have bags thoroughly checked etc on arrival? I havent had a bag checked in near on 10 years but they have, twice.

Last return the debate with customs over "tax" due for two feather duvets was a pain in the ass....and this time theyre carrying a heap more stuff.

Anyways...debating wether to hold onto it all and take it later...or if everything is just being waived through at the moment onto the ASQ hotel?

Cheers for the input.

M

We returned 5 months back. Had 14 bags between 4 family members. As we were relocating, had a box (1200 cubic inches) of various medications we had in stock including antibiotics and antipyretics including tynelol, in one of the bags.

We were not stopped. Assume they scanned and let us go. I feel the parties concerned were more worried about covid bearing foreigners than what they import.

not sure if this still is the case

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Customs Procedure for arriving passengers at the Nothing to Declare or Green Channel

Passengers with nothing to declare means they do not have any items liable for duty and taxes and prohibited or restricted goods with them when arriving in Thailand. For this case, they should use the Nothing to Declare lane, and the following items are exempted from duty: 

Personal belongings in reasonable quantity, which are worth no more than 20,000 baht in total and are not prohibited or restricted goods or food

http://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160905_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_01

Definitely don't bring any designer handbags in the original box.   No indeed,, Cheaper to buy them here so they don't like competition. 555555

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’ve brought so much stuff into Thailand and never so much as received  glance from customs...

Bikes, Ski’s, car seats, isofix bases, new Pushchairs, Motorcycle kit, Air-Purifiers (sold out in Thailand), extra bags of ‘stuff’... clothing, loads of toys (sons toys coming back from a Christmas in the UK (not this year))....

I’ve passed through Suvarnambumi arrivals about 8-10 times per year on average since it opened. 

The chances of being stopped are quite minimal, but the risk is always present...

Yeah I've never had an issue ever and I'm always dragging expensive <deleted> through.....the thai partner seems to attract attention for whatever reason.

Was hoping it was a lot less likely with COVID processes in place.

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Yep aware of the exemptions but also aware that the valuations they attach to goods are often totally arbitary or based on RRP listed on the item and regardless what you tell them you purchased it for.  Unfortunately theyre doin the trip solo this time so I wont be there to walk through or stare anyone down ????

I was hoping during COVID they'd be less inclined to look.