Thailand sees biggest jump in Covid-19 cases as global numbers hit 100m

webfact

5 hours ago, Mavideol said:

so the "foreigners" could be Myanmar, Cambodia or Indian workers.... but the country is closed, and the government said they had tackled all smuggling from the neighboring countries, are these the ones falling  through the cracks 555

Through the cracks and straight into the pockets. Of a few.

The Chinese investors are very very very happy

Chinese will take over The Kingdom

Mandarin mandatory for all schools very soon. Second language soon.

Forget learning English, China is here to stay.

I don't understand why the Chinese are needed so importantly for The Kingdom.

The good people of Thailand need to be the first priority not the Chinese investors.

I hope the government expands the testing throughout The Kingdom sooner rather than later.

The Thailand people deserve the best and only the people at the very top of the tree can offer the protection they are entitled to.

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Jim Morrison said:

My countryman are being told of a curfew for the fist time since WW2.? They are arresting us, chasing us in horseback, beating us, locking us in our house? All of this over a flu that everyone seemingly gets at one time or another.

I am 72. During my life I have had  a flu several times. Everyone I know has felt the fever, aching bones, chills, ice bags on my head. and then Then we went back to school or work and saw empty chairs has others too had the flu. thats life and it went on. Until this virus, which is being used to shut down and control +the people. It is practice. Now there are different strains going around. Does Thailand wait until covid19 is gone and then the next strain gone..71 people have died in a country of 70 million. So a flu that kills 1 in a million has shut down the country? I'm more worried about driving on the roads ! "Thai media report 12,304 people have been registered as dying at accident scenes in Thailand so far this year."

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/road-deaths/thai-road-death-toll-tops-12000-in-2019

LOL...this isn't an ordinary flu. The death rate in 2020 was 100x higher for covid than the regular flu in the UK. 

Ans how can you say it only kills one in a million - you are assuming that evey Thai has been infected and only 70 have died. 

If you are 72 you are in a high risk category....Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, NoComment said:

The Chinese investors are very very very happy

Chinese will take over The Kingdom

Mandarin mandatory for all schools very soon. Second language soon.

Forget learning English, China is here to stay.

I don't understand why the Chinese are needed so importantly for The Kingdom.

The good people of Thailand need to be the first priority not the Chinese investors.

I hope the government expands the testing throughout The Kingdom sooner rather than later.

The Thailand people deserve the best and only the people at the very top of the tree can offer the protection they are entitled to.

Asinine post....Ignored. 

30 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Compare testing and get back to me. Never mind. Almost 4 mil in the last wk in UK. UK have not been wearing masks, have kept borders open, large gatherings etc. Handled it very poorly. Remember Boris said it was just the flu like plenty on here said. Maybe you were one. As for deaths well that is up for debate as are the the first and now second wave infection numbers. 24/1 uk tested 412,000. Total tests for Thailand 1,217,873. Total tests for Australia 12,777,031. Guess I've re-thought. 

You simply wont find thousands of Thais infected. This is a nasty virus and for sure there will be presentations at hospitals. You think someone will just ride it out with panadol when they can't breathe? Excluding Samut Sakorn, things seem to be under control - enough so that schools are starting back next week. This would not be allowed if they thought the situation would get out of control.

36 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Compare testing and get back to me. Never mind. Almost 4 mil in the last wk in UK. UK have not been wearing masks, have kept borders open, large gatherings etc. Handled it very poorly. Remember Boris said it was just the flu like plenty on here said. Maybe you were one. As for deaths well that is up for debate as are the the first and now second wave infection numbers. 24/1 uk tested 412,000. Total tests for Thailand 1,217,873. Total tests for Australia 12,777,031. Guess I've re-thought. 

You wrote that Thailand has its head in the sand. I suggested that by comparison the UK was the country which had its head in the sand and that Thailand has been much more aware of how serious the problem is and took appropriate action to greatly reduce the medical - if not financial - effects. I don't see how you can say that is having its head in the sand.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You wrote that Thailand has its head in the sand. I suggested that by comparison the UK was the country which had its head in the sand and that Thailand has been much more aware of how serious the problem is and took appropriate action to greatly reduce the medical - if not financial - effects. I don't see how you can say that is having its head in the sand.

Thailand banned foreign travel and it worked.  

True, they are not testing as much as they should, but the death numbers would be far greater and harder to mask.  

I hate to say it but Thailand did it right.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Don't test. Don't find.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mavideol said:

where did they find 760 infected foreigners, the country is closed to uncontrolled arrivals, if they arrived under any special visa scheme and tested positive, then straight to quarantine

For example every migrant worker is a foreigner ...

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Please give us these numbers. I live there. The largest population I would say are from Isan. Mahachai does have a large number of migrant workers but I would love to see some evidence to support your statement. With a population around 600,000 that's alot of migrant workers.

Immigrant workers / Isan  workers. 

Same same ..

1 hour ago, DLock said:

Given the way the Government react to a few days of down numbers and release news like this...we should be extremely alarmed.

They are so far out of their depth and trying to minimize a problem that is far greater than they care to admit.

Their track record on Covid 19, from the day it all kicked off last year clearly says otherwise. They have demonstrated that they are very capable of dealing with this infection.

I'll go with that. Not with the result from one day's mass testing. Results of which, may I remind you where anticipated.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Are you seriously suggesting that if Thailand had tested the same as the UK then it would also have found over 3.6 million cases instead of a few thousand?

Maybe you can point out where I said that or even suggested that. I am simply saying if Thailand did more testing they would have and will find more cases. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand sees biggest jump in Covid-19 cases as global numbers hit 100m

By The Nation

800_f16918519a883f2.jpg?v=1611638048

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Tuesday reported 959 new cases, the highest number on a single day since the outbreak last year, including 22 people who had travelled from abroad.

Of the new cases, 89 were exposed to the virus while visiting high-risk areas. The province with the highest number of infections is Samut Sakhon (70), followed by Bangkok (17), Samut Songkham (1), and Ubon Ratchathani (1).

Proactive testing led to the discovery of 848 cases -- 760 foreigners and 84 Thais -- in Samut Sakhon, and four Thais in Bangkok.

Of the returnees, 13 are Thai nationals, returning from the United Kingdom (5), United States (3), Myanmar (3) and Denmark(1). Also testing positive were two Indians, two Sudanese, a Chinese, an Indonesian, a Pakistani, a Briton, a Russian and a Nepali who flew in from their respective nations.

Meanwhile, 119 patients have recovered and been discharged.

As of Tuesday, the number of confirmed cases in Thailand had risen to 14,646. Of these, 12,250 contracted the virus domestically, including 5,532 who were found via proactive testing, and 2,396 are returnees. So far, 10,892 have recovered and been discharged, 3,679 patients are still in hospital and the death toll is 75.

According to Worldometer, as of 10am on Tuesday, the number of confirmed cases globally has hit 100 million (increasing by 449,073), 72.29 million have recovered, 25.84 million are active cases (110,250 in severe condition) and 2.15 million have died (up by 9,597).

Thailand ranks 123rd on the global list of most cases. The US tops the list with 25.86 million, followed by India 10.68 million, Brazil 8.87 million, Russia 3.73 million and the United Kingdom 3.67 million.

Taweesin Visanuyothin, the CCSA spokesperson, revealed that the number of cases in the second wave since December 16 had reached 10,409, after 10 months under the emergency decree.

In the second outbreak, patients had an average age of 34. The age range with most cases is around 20-29 years old (58 per cent) followed by 30-39 years old (29 per cent). Women tended to get infected more often than men with a ratio of 1.36 female patients to 1 male.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401815

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-26

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-1/coronavirus-thailand

Please do the maths - it is easy to check today's total against the 1st infographic

Date  New   Total 
16-01-21     230    11,680
17-01-21     374    12,054
18-01-21     369    12,423
19-01-21     171    12,594
20-01-21       59    12,653
21-01-21     142    12,795
22-01-21     309    13,104
23-01-21     198    13,302
24-01-21     198    13,500
25-01-21     187    13,687
26-01-21     959    14,646

6 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Will this mean officials saying it will be all under control by the end of the month looking stupid ???? 

Where are we going for Chinese New Year, Uncle? Can't wait for our Songkran trip, too! You really know how to return happiness to people, just like Japan!

Edited by unblocktheplanet
addition

15 minutes ago, DLock said:

Are you suggesting that the Thai Government is doing an adequate job of consistent and considered testing?

It will be the end result that will finally decide that. But the fact that the disease is not spreading out from the infected zones and that every cluster that has broken out due to irresponsible behaviour has been successfully contained would suggest that they are.

• Haha 1

...gotta wonder about the swabbing...same gloves touching people over and over again....???

...do they wipe down the contraption after every use...???

...then....what number of cycles are they using.....

...apparently, over a certain amount of cycles, they all come out positive...???

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Mavideol said:

where did they find 760 infected foreigners, the country is closed to uncontrolled arrivals, if they arrived under any special visa scheme and tested positive, then straight to quarantine

Doesn't mean Farangs... Myanmar migrant workers more like..

8 hours ago, Mavideol said:

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Maybe this will help you figure it out.

11,500 dead worldwide from Ebola over a two year period.

2,151,883 dead worldwide from Covid -19 over a one year period and another year yet to go.

Yes Ebola was nothing compered to Covid-19 about 99% in African countries just

a handful in other countries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ebola_outbreaks

10 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Don't seek and you could be looking at a significant growth in infections, long term covid sufferers and deaths.......you are right....best not to look in the first place.

just reading the figures of infections now we have lower infections than 11th jan so the lockdown works but they are not totally locking down samut sakorn it should have extreme lockdown there no moving in or out kill the virus at the source dirty locals thai . not farlang 

• Like 1