TV Options Khon Kaen

Neeranam

I haven't had TV channels(or been interested) for over 7 years, when I had KK TV, which was great. They didn't have a service to my area, although it is in town. 

What are the options? 

One of my TVs is 10 years old and not SMART. Should I buy a SMART TV so I can get Android? Not sure if this means I can watch the Premier League football or not.

Maybe I'd be better buying one of those boxes for my old TV. Does anyone know the satellite options? I had a large satellite with 150 channels about 10 years ago but maybe satellite are old fashioned now. 

What do you have/recommend?

Android Box and subscribe to a IPTV . Plenty out there if you search.

If you specifically want Premier League football you can download the True ID app to your phone and pay 299 Baht a month.

Send it to your TV via Chromecast.

Chromecast is a small device you connect to your TV via the HDMI input.

Or you can buy the TrueID android box that will already have the Premier League plus other channels already installed including Netflix.

All available on Lazada for not a lot of money.

Edited by fishtank
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, TSF said:

I bought an android smart TV from Makro last year, great, I love it. It's connected to my smart phone hot spot, so I can watch heaps of things on YT, plus I have Live Net TV installed on my smart phone and can cast movies, news, sports...whatever to the TV. Nothing to pay as it all runs off my unlimited DTAC pre-paid sim.

So it would work with WIFi?

I thought an Android TV wouldn't need smartphone.

5 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Android Box and subscribe to a IPTV . Plenty out there if you search.

If you specifically want Premier League football you can download the True ID app to your phone and pay 299 Baht a month.

Send it to your TV via Chromecast.

Chromecast is a small device you connect to your TV via the HDMI input.

Or you can buy the TrueID android box that will already have the Premier League plus other channels already installed including Netflix.

All available on Lazada for not a lot of money.

Actually, I have EZCast that allows me to send stuff to my TV, but Netflix doesn't work. I'd prefer not to use it this way. So TruID has no monthly charge?

Your get the usual news services (BBC-Fox-Sky-etc) just from the Thai cable companies for a few $$ a month.

Whats wrong with the internet for everything else?

They have sites dedicated to all UK programs.... gosh it even has the Scots & Welsh news 1 hour latter than broadcast. Same for the USA programs. Movies as soon as they hit the Cinema , all the sport. I watch match of the day with breakfast every week. Stop it when you want to ---go do something come finish a month latter.  And the cost is Zero---zilch--narda.

I hear people raving on about this box at this price etc........ There is nothing on any box that you have to pay for that the internet can not give you for free...... +.. if you have unusual hobbies or tastes. Your find it on the internet. And from ThaiVisa you can get opinions about great series you probably wouldn't normally consider.

Go Look----

37 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

So it would work with WIFi?

I thought an Android TV wouldn't need smartphone.

You connect the Android smart TV to any wifi, in my case that's the hot spot from my smartphone, which is 10mb speed unlimited data DTAC pre-paid. My laptop, my android TV, and my wife's phone all connect to that hot spot...no problems at all.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Actually, I have EZCast that allows me to send stuff to my TV, but Netflix doesn't work. I'd prefer not to use it this way. So TruID has no monthly charge?

True ID has no monthly charge for the basic channels.

premium channels have to be paid for.

Premier League costs 299 Baht a month.

Smart TVs are pretty much useless.

An Android box is far better.

Download Mobdro app. Not perfect but it kind of works.

Free and has all the sport channels.

Edited by fishtank

16 minutes ago, fishtank said:

What about a Smart TV with Android? 

Surely that is better than an old TV with  a box.

Did you know you can buy a Smart Android TV 55 " for 11k?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fishtank said:

I had a look at Mobdro and read "Mobdro continuously searches YouTube for the best videos and then provides the users with all the links in just one place." So does it offer anything beyond YT? Because if not why bother? I have YT on my smart TV already and watch flicks, docos, news and other things now.

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

What about a Smart TV with Android? 

Surely that is better than an old TV with  a box.

Did you know you can buy a Smart Android TV 55 " for 11k?

My TCL Android smart TV comes with a bunch of things pre-installed, I mostly just have it on YT because everything is already there...news, movies, shows and on and on. And I cast from my smart phone to the TV if there's a particular movie/show i want. Very happy with my TCL smart TV, one of the best things I've bought, cost me under 5000bt in Makro. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TSF said:

My TCL Android smart TV comes with a bunch of things pre-installed, I mostly just have it on YT because everything is already there...news, movies, shows and on and on. And I cast from my smart phone to the TV if there's a particular movie/show i want. Very happy with my TCL smart TV, one of the best things I've bought, cost me under 5000bt in Makro. 

Wow, that's cheap! What size is it?

11 hours ago, TSF said:

I had a look at Mobdro and read "Mobdro continuously searches YouTube for the best videos and then provides the users with all the links in just one place." So does it offer anything beyond YT? Because if not why bother? I have YT on my smart TV already and watch flicks, docos, news and other things now.

Mobdro has all the Sky channels. BT Sport. American sports and entertainment  plus a lot more.

• Like 2

Depends how important a TV screen is and what sorts of things you like to watch.   
Me, I just download to my laptop TV shows from Youtube or Dailymotion and watch at leisure.   You can of course watch via TV.
At least that way you can have a wide range of subject matter even if it's not right up to date.  
Note, I am not s sports fan. 

I would not buy a smart tv , but lately it is difficult to do, since everyone sells smart TVs.

The reason is that the connectivity hardware is usually not the best, and are not upgradable, so if you bought a TV with built in Roku let's say. It will not be the best version of Roku available, and with in a couple of years when even better Roku devices come out , you will end up buying an external device anyway . 

I have two Roku smart TVs that are a couple of years old. and in both of them I have install later generation , external Roku devices. the internal were too slow, and did not have blueTooth, and some other options. I used to have fire sticks but I found them to have problems with some streaming services. (I am in the US) I have Sling TV, it works fine with Roku , but I often used to  get a black screen with the fire stick. 

We are stuck here in the US now for over a year with the pandemic, and I only had Sling TV for a year so I never tried to use it in Thailand. I wonder if it work in Thailand with a VPN ? 

2 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

how does that work? Do you just search for an old movie by name? I have watched some full movies on youtube but not easy to find ones I want... 

Yes Finnickyone--- you just go to the sites that have 1,000s of movies TV programs etc. All Free-- I am not allowed to put them in here, but I can PM you a list of some of them. You need to have a very small "Free" downloader program... UTorrent is the favorite choice.

Have a look at the ThaiVisa Movie--TV  page, people on there telling you what they found to be good etc. & let me know if I can help.

Go back some pages on this---and any question just ask, the people on there are very helpful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2021 at 8:42 PM, sirineou said:

I would not buy a smart tv , but lately it is difficult to do, since everyone sells smart TVs.

The reason is that the connectivity hardware is usually not the best, and are not upgradable, so if you bought a TV with built in Roku let's say. It will not be the best version of Roku available, and with in a couple of years when even better Roku devices come out , you will end up buying an external device anyway . 

I have two Roku smart TVs that are a couple of years old. and in both of them I have install later generation , external Roku devices. the internal were too slow, and did not have blueTooth, and some other options. I used to have fire sticks but I found them to have problems with some streaming services. (I am in the US) I have Sling TV, it works fine with Roku , but I often used to  get a black screen with the fire stick. 

We are stuck here in the US now for over a year with the pandemic, and I only had Sling TV for a year so I never tried to use it in Thailand. I wonder if it work in Thailand with a VPN ? 

What is Roku, and can you buy a TV without it?

On 2/9/2021 at 9:03 PM, sanuk711 said:

Yes Finnickyone--- you just go to the sites that have 1,000s of movies TV programs etc. All Free-- I am not allowed to put them in here, but I can PM you a list of some of them. You need to have a very small "Free" downloader program... UTorrent is the favorite choice.

Have a look at the ThaiVisa Movie--TV  page, people on there telling you what they found to be good etc. & let me know if I can help.

Go back some pages on this---and any question just ask, the people on there are very helpful.

Can you download directly to the TV? I download stuff but need a Chromecast thing to send to my old TV.

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What is Roku, and can you buy a TV without it?

I used Roku as an example of a streaming device to attach to your regular TV to make the TV a smart TV. Here in the US is one of the major peripheral streaming devices, and Because of it, many of the smart TVs sold  have a version of it built in. On its own I will not work in Thailand, because much of the content is restricted to the US, (much as it is with other platforms like fire stick) , but with a VPN on your router, you can trick it to think it is in the US , and  you can watch the same programing you watch in the US , while you are in Thailand.  As I said Fire TV from Amazon is another, there are probably many more that I am not familiar with. 

The point that I was trying to make , was that rather than buy a smart TV with the "smart" built in, I would rather buy an external device that when it becomes obsolete after a few years I can easily replace,without having to replace the whole TV. 

So basically Roku is a small device you attach to your TVs usb ports or HDMI port and you use it to stream content such as YouTube, Netflix, Live TV  etc, via the internet.   

Below is a screenshot of some of the Roku  devices sold on Lazada.

image.png.6271910580ed084e2b978899d5040f67.png

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1