The Serpent

eastendanto

2 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Charles Sobrahj is still alive and presently serving a 30 stretch in Nepal. He was living a free man in France but for whatever reason he went to Nepal where he was arrested and banged up.

Didn't thing France was that bad meself.

Wonder what made him knowingly travel and enter a country which he knew had an arrest warrant out for him resulting in his immediate arrest upon entering the country. Karma maybe, thats where he burned to death two dutch nationals while they were alive, maybe he thinks he deserves incarceration for his evil deeds...

4 hours ago, anchadian said:

Yes, saw this last week on iPlayer.  Nearly 8 hours long (8 episodes).

It's worth a look.

Oh most definitely! I'll be watching episode 7 tonight.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 2

After a recommendation from a friend I managed to download it from "(probably other places as well)."

Charles Subraj is only one of a whole range of characters who made up the Goa scene, some very beautiful and some very evil of which he is the worst.

The real deal was far more interesting than the series which i find rather boring.

The books should be captive reading also.

Sobhraj has been the subject of three non-fiction books, Serpentine (1979) by Thomas Thompson,[30] The Life and Crimes of Charles Sobrhaj (1980) by Richard Neville and Julie Clarke,[31] and the section titled "The Bikini Murders" by Noel Barber in the Reader's Digest collection Great Cases of Interpol (1982). Neville and Clarke's book was the basis for a 1989 made-for-TV movie, Shadow of the Cobra.[32]

The 2015 Bollywood film Main Aur Charles, directed by Prawaal Raman and Cyznoure Network, is reportedly based on Charles Sobhraj's escape from Tihar Jail, New Delhi.[33][34] The film was initially produced by Pooja Bhatt but due to differences midway into the shoot, Pooja left the film.[35]

An eight-part BBC miniseries called The Serpent was broadcast in the UK in January 2021 starring Tahar Rahim and Jenna Coleman.[36]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mahseer said:

Charles Sobrahj is still alive and presently serving a 30 stretch in Nepal. He was living a free man in France but for whatever reason he went to Nepal where he was arrested and banged up.

Didn't thing France was that bad meself.

Megalomania 

3 hours ago, thaiowl said:

Watched the first two episodes and then gave up....far too slow and disjointed for my liking.

My view exactly gave up after two episodes found it depressing and kept flashing back to the seventies, but each to their own.

• Like 1

He met his girl and  partener in crime on Dal Lake in Srinergar, Kashmir just 4 months after I left the area...The series is very good and makes compelling viewing..That 'on the road' scene does not exist anymore. It shows how great and free wheeling Thailand used to be.

Edited by Nout
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, thaiowl said:

Watched the first two episodes and then gave up....far too slow and disjointed for my liking.

I watched all of the episodes but got really peed off with all the backtracking and then back to real time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

I thoroughly enjoyed the series although the continuous jumping back and forth in time was a bit disorienting but keeps you on your toes.  I have always had an interest in this guy as I also traveled the hippie trail back then and as someone already pointed out the series really captured the time, our lifestyle and the scenery then, especially in Bangkok.  The Thai police and the embassy officials would have found their parts very easy to play as little seems to have changed there lol.

It got some things right, others were less accurate. As far as I remember, there were no traffic jams in Bangkok back then, just not enough traffic to cause gridlock. 

On 1/26/2021 at 12:08 PM, ExpatOilWorker said:

Yeah, evil monster - all of them.

His old house at soi Convent have been demolished.

They found a similar location and most of the scenes from the pool and house was filmed at soi Nana.

The Miami hotel at soi 15 was also used in the TV series. 

cant believe that miami hotel is still there

• 2 months later...