Eye Test

Neeranam

I just got an eye test at an expensive shop. 

They showed me the prescription after testing my eyes in a machine. It took just about a minute, with no test for reading. 

Is this what they do nowadays? 

All I saw was a picture of a house, she never asked when I could see it clearly or anything. 

She said it was the same as my last one 3 years ago. 

I went ahead and ordered the glasses but just thought about it now. 

Is that what every opticians does these days, a very quick test with no input from the customer? 

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

They showed me the prescription after testing my eyes in a machine. It took just about a minute, with no test for reading. 

All I saw was a picture of a house, she never asked when I could see it clearly or anything. 

Is that what every opticians does these days, a very quick test with no input from the customer? 

Normaly they do o e with machine like you describe with the pressure test? Did you feel a air puff on your eye? And also the normal manual test. 

I went two months ago to an recomended optician in Pattaya.

• Like 1

Eye testing is normally done is hospital setting here (just as medical needs) rather than from a clinic or sales shop.  Almost none of those will have an optometrist (much less an ophthalmologist) to do proper testing.  Yes there is a computer machine to test and another to check eye pressure but even a basic hospital check will also include 20 foot eye chart exam and additional testing using the lens tests that most of us are familiar with if anything needs correcting.  Exams are not expensive and you are not tied to using that hospital to purchase anything.  

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

Normaly they do o e with machine like you describe with the pressure test? Did you feel a air puff on your eye? And also the normal manual test. 

I went two months ago to an recomended optician in Pattaya.

No puff. No pressure test. This was just for getting glasses.

I did get an air test at a private hospital a few years ago after getting hit on the head with a basketball ???? Then they did a pressure test. 

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

The machine with a picture of a house can be easily used by staff who are not trained optometrists and gets you most of the way there. But the fine tuning of a prescription is done by using a frame with interchangeable lenses so the optometrist can keep asking which lens works best for you.  And they have specific reading tests to fine tune your prescription for reading, if you need one.  I got my first pair of glasses many years ago the same way as you describe in a shop in Bangkok without testing any physical lenses and they were OK for a year or so. But in recent years I have noticed that shops like Top Charoen and KT Optical test the eye sight more thoroughly with interchangeable lenses, even though their staff may not be qualified optometrists. Nowadays I come with a prescription from the eye hospital where they do a very thorough job.  Having said all that, I expect your glasses will be fine, if you just need them for a touch of short sightedness with out astigmatism or other complications and don't need reading glasses yet.

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2021 at 8:20 PM, Arkady said:

The machine with a picture of a house can be easily used by staff who are not trained optometrists and gets you most of the way there. But the fine tuning of a prescription is done by using a frame with interchangeable lenses so the optometrist can keep asking which lens works best for you.  And they have specific reading tests to fine tune your prescription for reading, if you need one.  I got my first pair of glasses many years ago the same way as you describe in a shop in Bangkok without testing any physical lenses and they were OK for a year or so. But in recent years I have noticed that shops like Top Charoen and KT Optical test the eye sight more thoroughly with interchangeable lenses, even though their staff may not be qualified optometrists. Nowadays I come with a prescription from the eye hospital where they do a very thorough job.  Having said all that, I expect your glasses will be fine, if you just need them for a touch of short sightedness with out astigmatism or other complications and don't need reading glasses yet.

Thanks for the reply.

The last time I got the fine tuning but this time nothing. Maybe because it was the same as 2.5 years ago. 

At least I have the option to send them back if they are not right. I've used this place for 15 years and done that before. 

I was lucky ,about 5/6 yrs ago had an eye test for new glasses ,the girl said that i really should see a proper eye doctor ,long story short eventually went to Queen Sirakit at Satahip,found i had a small cateract in one eye,still not worth having op ,but more important she found i had pressure in both eyes ,untreated you go blind with glaucoma ,taken drops ever since pressure normal ,get a proper test by doctor

13 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

I was lucky ,about 5/6 yrs ago had an eye test for new glasses ,the girl said that i really should see a proper eye doctor ,long story short eventually went to Queen Sirakit at Satahip,found i had a small cateract in one eye,still not worth having op ,but more important she found i had pressure in both eyes ,untreated you go blind with glaucoma ,taken drops ever since pressure normal ,get a proper test by doctor

Did you actually have glaucoma starting (visual field tests that indicate loss of vision)?  Agree eye test should be professional to check for such things.  

15 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Did you actually have glaucoma starting (visual field tests that indicate loss of vision)?  Agree eye test should be professional to check for such things.  

no did not have it ,but pressure in the eyes can cause it i believe, my pressure is always normal since i started the eye drops. when i first went to Satahip had all the eye tests ,and had them all again about 9 months ago ,i think about 900 baht if i remember rightly .

Edited by ivor bigun