Thailand Elite members warned about overstaying

snoop1130

On 1/26/2021 at 2:48 AM, WineOh said:

Like throwing your money into a bottomless pit.

Anyone who buys into this 'elite' nonsense needs to give their head a serious wobble. 

Yet another person who probably doesn't have the $ for a TE but throws shade at those who do, 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Actually if the cost was 500,000 for five years then that is 100,000/year.

So if you apply now you would not have used 10+ months so would have saved yourself 80,000+ .....,

If you look at it that way.,.,.,...

ps ... no I don’t work for them ....

I had the approval just had to get back to do the necessary. Then Covid and I couldnt get back. Wasnt a choice that I had

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Because your ‘permission of stay’ and ‘visa’ is a different thing. 

There are two Thai Elite Visa’s - the S.E. Visa and the P.E. visa (I don’t know that they each mean). 

S.E. Visa - You get a 5 year visa stamp, but you have to apply for an extension of stay ever 90 days. 

i.e. when entering you get a stamp for 90 days, after which you have to go to Chaeng Wattana and renew.

Maybe someone on with the P.E. Visa can clarify:  You get a 1 year Visa stamp each time (I think) and have a 1 year permission of entry, i.e. stamped in for 1 year, you have to apply for an extensions of stay after 1 year (at the same time get a new visa sticker)

A lot of the reasons above have to do with legacy rules and agreements. 

Both Visa’s are not resident visas (i.e. they are not Non-Immigrant Visas) and thus, the initial agreement with Immigration was not for long stays, but for hassle free frequent visitors. The initial idea and marketing was for those who wished hassle free visits in Thailand, fast track through airport, BMW 7 series to from Airport, easy golf booking etc and if those visitors wanted, an easy way to extend their stay (note: On the Thai Elite visa I only ever needed to stay longer than 90 days twice - I don’t think it was initially set up as a long stay visa). 

Poor marketing, financial issues, misjudgement of the market etc, restructuring of management etc etc saw the 5 year P.E. membership being offered. 

I think the Thai Privilege card had to do something to stay alive, there was also the risk of a class action lawsuit pending from existing members which would have had terrible optics (not some of the Thai Elite Members at that stage were not retirees from bolton, but CEO’s of major companies and some wealthy, powerful and connected people) - closure was not an option as that would involve paying out refunds - money the government didn’t want to spend. 

Thus, the program was ‘revamped’ and made the program far more accessible to more people. A good move and this has saved the company: 

The 500,000 baht 5 year visa was born and a couple of guises of the longer stay 20 year visa, with and without perks for 1 and 2 million baht. 

New agreements with Immigration were made for a 12 month entry stamp. It wasn’t possible to have a 5 year entry stamp as that would involve a change to Immigration law (no permission / extension of stay is longer than 12 months). 

Thus: It could be done, however, Immigration are their own powerful government body and it seems they won’t change this regulation. In fact, I get the impression that Immigration View the Elite visa as a circumnavigation of their own regulations and with a bit of a grudge rather than an open armed welcome. 

-----

Why the price increase to 600,000 baht in 2021 ??? I’ve no idea, that makes no business sense to me if they want a lot more people. 

A visa only option could be made for half that number (i.e. 300,000 baht / 60,000 baht per year) and it would see 4x the traffic (or more). Or even offer the visa on a yearly basis (60,000 baht per year) and see the applicants flood in. 

When people consider 60,000 baht against the cost of a yearly extensions, Retirement Visa, Marriage Visa (extensions), or Visa Runs to other countries etc... 60,000 baht starts to look very attractive. 

I wonder if Immigration has some control over what is and what isn’t allowed. 

I agree with what you are saying. To me it just seems pretty weird that a trip to Immigration once a year has not been done by some people

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Members at that stage were not retirees from bolton, but CEO’s of major companies

Rather snobbish. Retirees have no need for an Elite visa. CEOs usually can get a Work Permit without any problem.

These Elite visas are usually for unemployed guys under 50. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, cobra said:

Yet another person who probably doesn't have the $ for a TE but throws shade at those who do, 

The company that runs the scheme doesn't even have the money for an Elite visa either.

They are significantly more than half a billion Baht in debt and rising.

I wonder when it will all come to an ignominious end?

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Rather snobbish. Retirees have no need for an Elite visa. CEOs usually can get a Work Permit without any problem.

These Elite visas are usually for unemployed guys under 50. 

If you're the CEO of a company in the UK and decide to spend plenty of time in Thailand (think all winter) then you're not going to need a work permit because you work in the UK, not Thailand.

I'm sure there would be plenty of online presence required while in Thailand for online meetings, etc, many people remotely supervise their companies back in Europe / US and run them through their employees.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

If you're the CEO of a company in the UK and decide to spend plenty of time in Thailand (think all winter) then you're not going to need a work permit because you work in the UK, not Thailand.

I'm sure there would be plenty of online presence required while in Thailand for online meetings, etc, many people remotely supervise their companies back in Europe / US and run them through their employees.

A Non-B visa is much cheaper and better suited for this type of activity.

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

I didn't realise they handed them out to people who do zero business with Thailand.

They are specifically for business people visiting Thailand, and cover business activities performed by people working for overseas companies. 

As I stated, a much better suited visa type than the Elite visa, cheaper, and less hassle to obtain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

I didn't realise they handed them out to people who do zero business with Thailand.

I believe an agent can get one for 20,000 baht. 

At the end of the day, I guess some rich guy going for an elite visa is like me paying someone 500 baht to wash my car, more convenient for insignificant cost. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I believe an agent can get one for 20,000 baht. 

At the end of the day, I guess some rich guy going for an elite visa is like me paying someone 500 baht to wash my car, more convenient for insignificant cost. 

Totally agree. Baht 20,000 is the normal fee that I pay the agent I use.