SteveK Vindaloo Recipe. Still the best curry I have had in Thailand. Ever.

fishtank

• 3 weeks later...

This recipe is excellent. I made up a huge batch and put into plastic bottles and stored in the freezer. You can add chopped bell peppers or capsicums as they call them here and make a really nice jalfrezi. I also add tomato paste and a spoon of Ajinomoto to make it extra tasty. British curry house style curries use a lot of ghee to make the curry so creamy and delicious, I would say that it's much better than butter and I buy it from Zing Street.

Edited by BenDeCosta

On 1/26/2021 at 9:19 PM, fishtank said:

SteveK posted this a while back but is now archived.

I have been tweaking my vindaloo from scratch for over a year now and have managed to get a really tasty version that I can make with ingredients that I can buy in a small Isaan village. Hopefully someone will try this out. It's adapted from a recipe from an Indian lady and Rick Stein's beef vindaloo recipe.

Roughly chop 2 large onions, 10 cloves garlic, 12 red chillies, 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, 1 tsp mustard seeds, and fry lightly in 1 tbsp oil then allow to cool.

Transfer to a blender. Add 1 heaped tablespoon cumin, 1 tbsp paprika, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black peppercorns, 1 tbsp curry powder (generic Thai curry powder or Waugh's), half teaspoon turmeric (too much turmeric ruins the flavour completely which I found out the hard way), 2 inch piece of cinnamon, 1 tbsp brown sugar and 100mls white vinegar.

Blend it up adding additional white vinegar until you get a smooth, thick paste. Add in your chicken pieces, and refrigerate for 2 hours, no longer as the vinegar breaks down the chicken and it won't taste as nice.

Then fry the lot in a pan in 1tbsp oil until chicken is cooked through. This produces a brown curry, so I add a tiny amount of red food colouring to get it more like the British curry house style.

Add freshly chopped coriander and enjoy.

If you can get cloves, add 6 into the blender but I can't get them here. Also, if you can find ghee, that gives a better taste than vegetable oil, and use a bit more than you would oil.

Because vindaloo has so much vinegar, it's basically a pickle, and you can make a giant batch of the sauce and just marinade the meat as and when you want it - it will last a long time in the fridge.

Hey, considering indian seem crazy expensive here and the chemical packet mixs taste <deleted> -  thats super cool, I can see a lot of work and time in this.... I will try it..

as for ghee..... interesting I talked to an indian chef (Hilton) he likes to use ghee from prawns as a healthier taster alternative..  sounds a bit anvanced for me so will use ghee from makro I guess...

with my thai wifes knack for sklow cooking thai beef so its soft and just as good as any I cant wait.....   cheers all...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeall said:

Hey, considering indian seem crazy expensive here and the chemical packet mixs taste <deleted> -  thats super cool, I can see a lot of work and time in this.... I will try it..

as for ghee..... interesting I talked to an indian chef (Hilton) he likes to use ghee from prawns as a healthier taster alternative..  sounds a bit anvanced for me so will use ghee from makro I guess...

with my thai wifes knack for sklow cooking thai beef so its soft and just as good as any I cant wait.....   cheers all...

I bought some Thai beef in Makro yesterday. My slow cooker was to small for the job so I used a Instant Pot. Followed a recipe and cooked under pressure for 30 mins. Not quite tender so cooked for a further 15 mins with potatoes. Came out very good.

Instant Pot was from Lazarda. Otto make, under a 1000. Best Buy I’ve had in Thailand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

I bought some Thai beef in Makro yesterday. My slow cooker was to small for the job so I used a Instant Pot. Followed a recipe and cooked under pressure for 30 mins. Not quite tender so cooked for a further 15 mins with potatoes. Came out very good.

Instant Pot was from Lazarda. Otto make, under a 1000. Best Buy I’ve had in Thailand.

Interesting.. never heard of it, have link?  best theres loads..

• 3 months later...
On 2/18/2021 at 1:54 PM, Seeall said:

Actually, once you've bought the ingredients, you can make a big batch of vindaloo sauce in under an hour. I pour mine into plastic containers and freeze in batches. Allows me to make a chicken or pork vindaloo in about 15 minutes. If you can't find the ingredients, look on ZingStreet. I add cardamoms and a bit of extra coriander, always comes out great.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 1