Is a COVID test now required to extend your work permit?

Hey all

I'm just in the process of extending/renewing my work permit.  Non B visa renewed for 12-months today at CW - no problems!

Question:  Is a COVID test now required as part of your medical to extend/renew your work permit?

I hear yes and I hear no, but can't find anything concrete to verify?

If it is required, can anyone recommend a clinic or public hospital doing a medical + COVID test at the best (cheap) prices (that will be accepted by department of labor)?

Appreciate any/all advice?

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That would include your post.

Perhaps someone has recently done exactly same thing and can provide valuable info.

For that to happen the Op will have to tell us which Labour office he gets his work permit. 
They don’t all follow the same rules. 

Best to call them directly, like I said.
They will know. 

I'm BKK based.  My work permit is from the Dept of Employment (MoL) office near Victory Monument...

I did call them, the person was unsure at this present time, but said I should get one anyway!

The kind amazing CW Immigration officer said "no", it wasn't required if you have a new 12 month visa!

Lot's of opinions I agree, of course someone else must also be going through this process right now.

And if yes (like I'm expecting), where to go on the cheapm for a test and medical cert...

53 minutes ago, philipnz said:

I'm BKK based.  My work permit is from the Dept of Employment (MoL) office near Victory Monument...

I did call them, the person was unsure at this present time, but said I should get one anyway!

The kind amazing CW Immigration officer said "no", it wasn't required if you have a new 12 month visa!

Lot's of opinions I agree, of course someone else must also be going through this process right now.

And if yes (like I'm expecting), where to go on the cheapm for a test and medical cert...

If the answer was yes anywhere there would already be a faecalstorm by now. As there isn't, it's safe to assume the answer is no everywhere.

7 minutes ago, philipnz said:

Are you through an agency or direct?  Did you go to the department alone or have support?

The staff at my company do it for me. With a renewal there is no need for the work permit holder to attend in person if the holder signs a letter of authority.

Thanks all for your feedback.

I've been sent these docs, and a friend translated.

Effective 23 January 2021, COVID added to list for test Medical, but I'm told the article references Immigration NOT DoE or MoL!!?

I've been dialing 1506 MOL all day and it just comes up busy!

Still no answers from a work permit perspective!!

HELP!

1ec5696114bf3f3920631d33af04516a42fa45c62859685209928af402a583e0.0.jpg

20500ddad90347bdbc913c7834b13abaac0d2d45aebb8e5d683b610460b149c0.0.jpg

17 minutes ago, philipnz said:

Thanks all for your feedback.

I've been sent these docs, and a friend translated.

Effective 23 January 2021, COVID added to list for test Medical, but I'm told the article references Immigration NOT DoE or MoL!!?

I've been dialing 1506 MOL all day and it just comes up busy!

Still no answers from a work permit perspective!!

HELP!

1ec5696114bf3f3920631d33af04516a42fa45c62859685209928af402a583e0.0.jpg

20500ddad90347bdbc913c7834b13abaac0d2d45aebb8e5d683b610460b149c0.0.jpg

Dude, you're panicking about nothing. Are you a fan of Richard Barrow? Wasting all day phoning a number staffed by people who don't have a clue - you must be new around here. You have your answer, no Covid-19 test needed. In the unlikely event that that changes, the officers will tell you when you submit your application. Relax and enjoy life!

My agent will go into their (MoL) office for me, but its them they are saying that the required Medical certificate  must now include a COVID-19 test!!

The agent (my employer) wont go without the certificate stating a negative COVID test!

Are you suggesting I should just get the usual medical cert (no COVID test) and attempt myself?

Got my Non-B and Work Permit extended last week. No Covid test, no mentions of it. Just the usual clinic health check. Another amazing 365+ days in the Amazing LOS.

Note the extreme irony of where they put that date stamp. (Each top of the page of the US Passport has famous quotes.) You reckon Thai immigration agrees with that sentiment? ????

IMG_20210120_172137.jpg

5 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Got my Non-B and Work Permit extended last week. No Covid test, no mentions of it. Just the usual clinic health check. Another amazing 365+ days in the Amazing LOS.

Note the extreme irony of where they put that date stamp. (Each top of the page of the US Passport has famous quotes.) You reckon Thai immigration agrees with that sentiment? ????

IMG_20210120_172137.jpg

Did you do this before 23 January?  The date new requirements are said to take place...

5 minutes ago, philipnz said:

Did you do this before 23 January?  The date new requirements are said to take place...

The change to the immigration act for entry to the country went into effect on that day. Nothing to do with extensions and work permits.

If I were you, I would apply 1 month early in the usual way. If your documents are accepted you will receive your work permit extension the same day.

If your documents are not accepted and you are told to take a covid test then you have 1 month to do so.

The only person who will give you a definitive answer is the office who is accepting your submission at the Labour Office.

6 hours ago, philipnz said:

My agent will go into their (MoL) office for me, but its them they are saying that the required Medical certificate  must now include a COVID-19 test!!

The agent (my employer) wont go without the certificate stating a negative COVID test!

Are you suggesting I should just get the usual medical cert (no COVID test) and attempt myself?

Tell them that Covid-19 tests are extremely expensive and your friends got their work permit recently without it. Ask them why they think you need it. Ask them to be specific about their source of information (probably Facebook or some random website).

Archived