Insurance to satisfy OA visa

I have been recommended LMG as a good chuck away. So far I am not getting good vibes (man). There appears to be two versions of the application form on their website, one of which is set to a size larger than A4.

Then there is nowhere to upload the bloody thing when you do print it out & fill it in.

Are there are any other chuck away insurance options?

Technically your home insurance should do except the silly...err... so-and-sos have introduced a form which my brokers won't sign. (I am not quite sure who would frankly).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

First let me start by saying I know very little on the subject. I have my wife with me, so I am waiting until the spring  hopping that restrictions will be relaxed. And I am monitoring these thread to see what new developments exist. I follow an FB group and this is what on member said. 

"6 months coverage 16,000 baht with ACS. "

https://www.facebook.com/groups/275821990252759/?multi_permalinks=460785988423024&notif_id=1611677988034691&notif_t=group_highlights&ref=notif

My opinion is to get the minimum length of time required because I think that by this spring when there are a lot more people vaccinated they might change, or eliminate the covid insurance requirement.  

The PDF you can open on the site has the application form starting on page 8.

https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/Products/Documents/Universal - Long Stay VISA OA with Deductible Feb 2020.pdf

Perhaps best to start by completing the call be back function at the bottom of this page first.

https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/Products/Pages/Universal-Longstayvisa.aspx

19 hours ago, Seagull Sam said:

Thanks sirineou. I think you are right that the vaccine might make things easier. Relative to the current hoops there may one or two fewer to jump. The Thai government doesn't have a reputation for ever making things easy however.

I don't know where you come from. But vaccinations are not happening fast in many countries. Plus it is not known whether people will still be transmitting the virus or for how long the jab protects you. A lot more ppl need to be vaccinated to get a sort of herd immunity. Don't hold your hopes too high.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Perhaps best to start by completing the call be back function at the bottom of this page first.

https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/Products/Pages/Universal-Longstayvisa.aspx

Thanks Ubon Joe. Done already with nothing other than a no-reply standard response.

10 hours ago, Letseng said:

vaccinations are not happening fast in many countries. Plus it is not known whether people will still be transmitting the virus or for how long the jab protects you. A lot more ppl need to be vaccinated to get a sort of herd immunity. Don't hold your hopes too high.

Thanks Letseng. I'm not hanging around waiting for some easily administered miracle cure. Under the current situation IMG appear simply to be teasing us with the offer of an insurance policy which cannot practically be applied for. It's the last piece of the awkward OA visa jigsaw but it's not fitting into place.

2 hours ago, Seagull Sam said:

Thanks Ubon Joe. Done already with nothing other than a no-reply standard response.

My experience > The application process went very smooth.  Did sent the filled-in application form on Sunday evening.  Monday morning I already had response that it was received and being processed (but with request for a copy of my passport ID-card).  After sending that, within hours I received confirmation of application approved and payment details.  I paid same-day and Tuesday morning I received the Health Insurance Certificate by e-mail, and 3 days later I received the policy documents by regular mail.

>> I did PM you a Guideline document (with tips and caveats) on how to apply for the LMG Plan-1 (with 200K deductible) health-insurance.  It is by far the cheapest Thai 'throw-away' insurance to meet the mandatory IO-imposed 400K/40K health-insurance requirement, with annual premium ranging from 6.000 THB to 11.400 THB in the age categories of 51 till 75 years of age.  Additional advantage being that the LMG Insurance Plan-1 insurance also does NOT require an (expensive) medical to subscribe to it.

> To access your PM messages just click the letter icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

O/a insurance renewal question:

today I asked for a insurance renewal for certificate for my o/a visa extension expiring say 

feb 10th, 2020

Last year I had pacific cross that expire 

feb 10, 2020 and got visa extended to that date too.

today my insurance renewal came as expiry date of feb 9 , 2020 because the renewal start on feb 10th . 

I kept asking for insurance to End coverage to feb 10 but they said no and that there is no problem to get my via expiry date to feb 10th. 

have anyone in the forum experience this ? Maybe this is a pacific cross problem . I was thinking of just adding a day coverage to cover till feb 10 than to have issue with insurance and immigration. To get up to feb 10th visa expiry date 

any comments 

Thanks for this very useful information Ubon Joe & Peter Denis. I did receive all your very detailed PDFs, thanks for very much and yes, I should have looked at them again.

To put matters in perspective I received an email from LMG following an email of 6th Jane I had long given up for dead. This suggests an email address on the website three weeks ago. Now there isn't one, odd! Let's hope they are not overwhelmed.

2 hours ago, Seagull Sam said:

Thanks for this very useful information Ubon Joe & Peter Denis. I did receive all your very detailed PDFs, thanks for very much and yes, I should have looked at them again.

To put matters in perspective I received an email from LMG following an email of 6th Jane I had long given up for dead. This suggests an email address on the website three weeks ago. Now there isn't one, odd! Let's hope they are not overwhelmed.

Do mail your application to Miss Kannika (e-mail and phone co-ordinates in the Guideline document I did sent you).  She is fluent in english and very efficient (response within hours).

Thanks again Peter. I emailed Kn Kannika last night UK time & received a reply 9am Thai time. I responded to a couple of queries & received a reply before close of business Thai time. Underwriting team for Monday so looking good.  

On 1/28/2021 at 9:13 AM, Peter Denis said:

>> I did PM you a Guideline document (with tips and caveats) on how to apply for the LMG Plan-1 (with 200K deductible) health-insurance.  It is by far the cheapest Thai 'throw-away' insurance to meet the mandatory IO-imposed 400K/40K health-insurance requirement, with annual premium ranging from 6.000 THB to 11.400 THB in the age categories of 51 till 75 years of age. 

Peter, could you PM me and send me this same guideline document to apply for the LMG Plan-1 (with 200K deductible) health-insurance? I need to have this same policy in less than 2 weeks to request my O-A extension. It sounds easy enough to obtain. Thanks! ????

26 minutes ago, Isaanman said:

Peter, could you PM me and send me this same guideline document to apply for the LMG Plan-1 (with 200K deductible) health-insurance? I need to have this same policy in less than 2 weeks to request my O-A extension. It sounds easy enough to obtain. Thanks! ????

Sent PM as requested, and you are welcome.

Same topic... Different question. I am in the US and currently sent all docs to DC for a retirement visa. I have Pacific Cross for the year and AXA for 30 days COVID insurance. I just received a email from the Embassy:

• A: Please upload the Foreign Insurance Certificate have to be sign by 3 officers of the Insurance Company as soon as possible.

I thought Pacific Cross and AXA are Thai companies since they are on the approved list. I emailed to see if this is a mistake and maybe they don't realize they are on the list. I also emailed my contact at Pacific to see if I can get the document they are asking for.

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, ShannanTravels said:

I thought Pacific Cross and AXA are Thai companies since they are on the approved list. I emailed to see if this is a mistake and maybe they don't realize they are on the list.

Where were the policies issued at. If they used their US address and etc. on it that could be the problem.

2 hours ago, ShannanTravels said:

Same topic... Different question. I am in the US and currently sent all docs to DC for a retirement visa. I have Pacific Cross for the year and AXA for 30 days COVID insurance. I just received a email from the Embassy:

• A: Please upload the Foreign Insurance Certificate have to be sign by 3 officers of the Insurance Company as soon as possible.

I thought Pacific Cross and AXA are Thai companies since they are on the approved list. I emailed to see if this is a mistake and maybe they don't realize they are on the list. I also emailed my contact at Pacific to see if I can get the document they are asking for.

Any thoughts?

I had the same issue when applying at DC embassy in Dec.  The fly-by-night travel ins. co. I initially chose did not sign the document 3 times and embassy caught that and emailed me same request as yours above.  The ins. co. refused to give me 3 signatures (only one).  They told me to find another insurance company and informed me they cancelled my policy (!).  Under the gun with time I had to quickly choose a new one.  AXA Thailand - I applied online on a Sunday (their site super easy to use) -  complete policy with 3 signatures emailed back to me in minutes, which I immediately uploaded to embassy for them to receive by Mon morning.  When I enquired about possibly changing the ending date of the policy they informed me no problem can be done anytime and any unused portion will be refunded.  Very professional and quick email replies.

Last month, I followed the PDF guideline which was sent to me by Peter Dennis and within days got my health insurance certificate with LMG. Ms. Kannika was very efficient and professional. Peter Dennis, as always, a true gentleman very helpful and knowledgeable. I was contemplating engaging a Visa Agent for a fee around of 20,000 Bahts but with Peter's support and assistance I managed to successfully and smoothly apply recently for my OA visa extension for a cost of just 1,900 Bahts. 

I followed Peter Denis' guidelines the other day and was able to get on the LGM ฿6,000 plan very quickly. The premium has not yet changed. If you do not have any kind of Adobe editor and you have a Mac, you can simply download the application and use your Mac "Preview" app to fill out the application, using text boxes to write in the information requested and checking the appropriate boxes. I informed them of a minor pre-existing condition and told them in the explanation box following all the questions about (pre) existing conditions that I have had this condition for over 3 decades and am gladly willing to "sign my name to a policy written up by LGM Insurance Company that limits my claim options and does NOT cover this pre-existing condition." LGM promptly wrote up a "counter offer" policy "Excluding All Investigation, Treatment, and Any Complications" of this condition--no problem. 

A few other observations: Kannika was very easy to work with. The LMG EasyPay portal was very fast and easy to use to pay by credit card; but, look very carefully to make sure they have your name on the information. They sent me the name of some 60 year Italian guy in Bangkok and I had to call Kannika to reissue me an EasyPay pay portal, lest I pay for his policy! Also, Kannika told me the policy would be effective at 12:01am on the day I requested it to be effective. So, I had her change the policy date from the requested date of the 9th to the date of my appointment at immigration the next day. She assured me at my request (following Peter's recommendation) that she would log my info into the TGIA-insurers database as soon as she received my payment. I have not received the doc in the mail yet; but, she assured me it would be here by Monday, the 8th. All in all, this was super simple, fast, and fairly inexpensive for a throw-away policy to extend my O-A visa. 

16 minutes ago, Isaanman said:

I followed Peter Denis' guidelines the other day and was able to get on the LGM ฿6,000 plan very quickly. The premium has not yet changed. If you do not have any kind of Adobe editor and you have a Mac, you can simply download the application and use your Mac "Preview" app to fill out the application, using text boxes to write in the information requested and checking the appropriate boxes. I informed them of a minor pre-existing condition and told them in the explanation box following all the questions about (pre) existing conditions that I have had this condition for over 3 decades and am gladly willing to "sign my name to a policy written up by LGM Insurance Company that limits my claim options and does NOT cover this pre-existing condition." LGM promptly wrote up a "counter offer" policy "Excluding All Investigation, Treatment, and Any Complications" of this condition--no problem. 

A few other observations: Kannika was very easy to work with. The LMG EasyPay portal was very fast and easy to use to pay by credit card; but, look very carefully to make sure they have your name on the information. They sent me the name of some 60 year Italian guy in Bangkok and I had to call Kannika to reissue me an EasyPay pay portal, lest I pay for his policy! Also, Kannika told me the policy would be effective at 12:01am on the day I requested it to be effective. So, I had her change the policy date from the requested date of the 9th to the date of my appointment at immigration the next day. She assured me at my request (following Peter's recommendation) that she would log my info into the TGIA-insurers database as soon as she received my payment. I have not received the doc in the mail yet; but, she assured me it would be here by Monday, the 8th. All in all, this was super simple, fast, and fairly inexpensive for a throw-away policy to extend my O-A visa. 

Thanks for your report. 

I will update the LMG Insurance Application Guideline I compiled with your suggestion to make use of the Mac Preview option to fill in the application, when you do not have Adobe Acrobat or another PDF editing program.

Also your suggestion to already address any minor pre-existing conditions you ticked on the application form < willing to "sign my name to a policy written up by LMG Insurance Company that limits my claim options and does NOT cover this pre-existing condition." > I will take over, as it will speed up the application process (LMG not having to contact you then about this).

>> Glad it worked out well for you, and you can be assured that the full policy will arrive in the mail soon, as Miss Kannika promised.  I received the policy-documents 4 working days after I paid the annual premium fee (7.700 THB in my case, as I am 63 years of age).  I did not pay by credit-card but made use of my K-Cyber Kasikorn account to pay the fee. 

On 2/2/2021 at 9:37 PM, ProbPossConf said:

Little off topic, but have there been any indications of LMG increasing premiums.  My policy was initiated back in July/August 2020, and wondering if I would have to pay more this year when my O-A extension is due.

Good question. Their advertised rates online haven't changed, so right now I can expect to pay 16,900 when I renew my 200k deductible policy in August, as I'll be age 76. Since I don't anticipate filing any claims, I don't expect this caveat to apply:

Renewal year premium will be adjusted according to increasing age of each insured person. Each insured person may be charged higher, up to 100 percent of standard premium, according to claims experiences (Loss Ratio) of the previous policy year or not to renew each insured person in the renewal year with 30 days prior notices.

I read the above to say, even if you file no claims, premiums will adjust upward just due to getting older, which is normally standard insurance policy. So, if you bought a 200k policy at age 71, when the premium was 11,400, you would have five subsequent renewals, with the fifth renewal at age 76, where the premium is now advertised as 16,900. Thus, using interpolation, every year's renewal would show a 1100 baht increase, e.g., at age 72, premium is 12,500; age 73, premium is 13,600, etc. But, that's ballpark, as I don't expect their 2020 base figures to remain unchanged.

But what happens to my premium at age 77 upward? There's no top figure from which to do an interpolation..... And I doubt the increases will only be 1100 baht, per the prior example, as that's not how insurance works as you become an old fart... Oh well.

Maybe Peter Denis has some ideas....

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

Good question. Their advertised rates online haven't changed, so right now I can expect to pay 16,900 when I renew my 200k deductible policy in August, as I'll be age 76. Since I don't anticipate filing any claims, I don't expect this caveat to apply:

I read the above to say, even if you file no claims, premiums will adjust upward just due to getting older, which is normally standard insurance policy. So, if you bought a 200k policy at age 71, when the premium was 11,400, you would have five subsequent renewals, with the fifth renewal at age 76, where the premium is now advertised as 16,900. Thus, using interpolation, every year's renewal would show a 1100 baht increase, e.g., at age 72, premium is 12,500; age 73, premium is 13,600, etc. But, that's ballpark, as I don't expect their 2020 base figures to remain unchanged.

But what happens to my premium at age 77 upward? There's no top figure from which to do an interpolation..... And I doubt the increases will only be 1100 baht, per the prior example, as that's not how insurance works as you become an old fart... Oh well.

Maybe Peter Denis has some ideas....

No idea how the annual fee premiums for the LMG Insurance Plan-1 policy will evolve once you are over 75 years of age.

But I would suggest the following scenario:

> When well under 75 years of age: Instead of applying for 1-year retirement extensions of stay based on your Non Imm O-A Visa (and having to subscribe to the mandatory insurance policy), you might be better of:

a) Doing a border-run at the end of your current permission to stay, and return VisaExempt.  This would allow you to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa and subsequently the 1-year extension of stay based on that new Non Imm O Visa.  Doing so you would have effectively dumped the health-insurance requirement.  Obviously that option presupposes that the current land-border restrictions have been lifted by then. 

OR

b) When you visit your home-country, re-apply for a new Non Imm O-A Visa (with its 2 year IO hassle free stay benefits) and prolonge the mandatory health-insurance for that Non Imm O-A Visa which you already have now.

> When approaching 75 years of age or well over it :

you would not be able to find Thai insurance to meet the Non Imm O-A mandatory insurance requirement if you let your current policy expire.

In itself that is not a problem, but it would limit your options and force you to take the Non Imm O Visa route.  So if you intend to visit your home-country and want to apply there for a new Non Imm O-A Visa, you cannot let the insurance expire but need to maintain it.  When the costs for doing that would not balance with the benefits of a new Non Imm O-A Visa, you might as well dump that insurance and go the Non Imm O Visa road.

On 2/6/2021 at 8:21 AM, Isaanman said:

I informed them of a minor pre-existing condition and told them in the explanation box following all the questions about (pre) existing conditions that I have had this condition for over 3 decades and am gladly willing to "sign my name to a policy written up by LGM Insurance Company that limits my claim options and does NOT cover this pre-existing condition." LGM promptly wrote up a "counter offer" policy "Excluding All Investigation, Treatment, and Any Complications" of this condition--no problem.

Thanks for this - its interesting to read.

I am currently trying to obtain Health Insurance from a company on the Thai approved list, and I have an ongoing dialogue at present with LMG.  I am age-67 and already have excellent Health Insurance (exceeds Thai requirements) but my Health Insurance company is not on the Thai approved list, so I need second ('throwaway') Health Insurance to meet requirement of being on a Thai approved list of companies.  

LMG asked for my last medical results, which I sent (last medical was in 2019).  Back in 2019 the Thai doctors commented on a few borderline items (based on Thai criteria) and recommended a followup in 3 to 6 months. I showed such to my European doctor (a 2nd opinion) and he stated Thai requirements more tight than European criteria and he saw NO issue and followup in his view not needed (he suggested hospital was trolling for more testing $$ ).   However LMG asked for such follow up results (where I did none) - so that has now complicated my LMG application - and I may be asked to do a second medical.

Tomorrow (Monday) my Thai wife and I may phone LMG and see if they can go for an exclusion clause of what they speculate could be 'pre-exisiting' conditions (of which I have none, but the 'trolling' (?) 2019 medical results suggested investigations in certain areas). 

I am happy to read LMG will consider exclusion clauses, as I already have excellent Health Insurance so an exclusion clause causes me no risk (and it protects the Insurance Company).

I have my fingers crossed for Monday.

EDIT : As a backup, my Thai wife has contacted an Insurance broker, and Pacific Cross has been pointed out to me as a possible inexpensive alternative to LMG if one goes for the maximum deductible with Pacific Cross .

13 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

EDIT : As a backup, my Thai wife has contacted an Insurance broker, and Pacific Cross has been pointed out to me as a possible inexpensive alternative to LMG if one goes for the maximum deductible with Pacific Cross .

At your age, you would have to pay 7.700 THB annual premium for the LMG Plan-1 insurance policy. 

Would be interesting to know the annual premium you would have to pay when going for the Pacific Cross insurance with max deductible.  Also, I understood that PC normally does require a medical when subscribing to their policies.  This is normally not required when subscribing to the LMG Insurance but you seem to have been so infortunate as to get an LMG rep handling your application that is making an issue of it.

28 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Tomorrow (Monday) my Thai wife

You could apply for an extension based upon marriage to a Thai that does not require insurance.

You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for an extension based upon marriage to a Thai that does not require insurance.

You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income.

Excellent recommendation I think.

That indeed was what I attempted just over a week ago.

But every Thai province immigration appears to implement immigration rules with a slightly different twist. 

Phuket immigration refused to give me an extension based on marriage. They explained their policy was if this was a Type-OA applying for a first extension they would not accept marriage but only retirement as a justification.

If one was already on an extension and applying for an extension based on marriage (on an OA) they would accept marriage as the justification.

They sent me to the retirement section of the immigration office and they gave their attention to the next person in the line.

They were very busy and didn't have time to discuss further.

I do recommend the marriage approach if one's immigration office will accept such.

Archived