U.S. Senate blocks constitutional challenge to Trump impeachment trial

webfact

‘Dead on arrival’: Trump conviction unlikely after GOP votes to nix trial

Nearly every Senate Republican declared Tuesday that putting a former president on trial for impeachment is unconstitutional, indicating that the House’s case against Donald Trump is almost certain to fail. https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/26/rand-paul-impeachment-462655

You gotta give the Dems an "A" for effort...but in their impeachments, nothing fails like success.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Then of course, there's the subsequent sentences of the same article that you chose not to include:

"Senator Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York and the majority leader, quickly moved to shut down the request.

“The theory that the impeachment of a former official is unconstitutional is flat-out wrong by every frame of analysis,” Mr. Schumer said. “It has been completely debunked by constitutional scholars from all across the political spectrum.”

The Senate has clearly taken that position in the past."

And the article goes on to explain why...

In truth, it's just a false legal argument the Senate Republicans are clutching onto in an attempt to avoid having to publicly defend Trump's incitement to insurrection...by trying to claim there's no legal basis for the Senate's trial, even though history clearly shows otherwise.

The Forum rules only permit the direct quotation of headlines and the first few sentences of a copyrighted news source or a few sentences from the body of the article. I quoted the sentences that make my point. You're of course free to quote ones that make your's. You do seem a bit defensive though...seeing President Trump being exonerated again maybe?

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

It sure would have been great for civilization to have the knowledge that Trump could never run again. I believe he will become less and less relevant as time goes by. His brand is beyond toxic. 

Looks like the GOP wants to play both sides for awhile, and see what happens. Cowards. The entire lot, except for the 10 or so who spoke out. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It sure would have been great for civilization to have the knowledge that Trump could never run again. I believe he will become less and less relevant as time goes by. His brand is beyond toxic. 

Looks like the GOP wants to play both sides for awhile, and see what happens. Cowards. The entire lot, except for the 10 or so who spoke out. 

Now that he is a private citizen he is banned from many social media.

He will ride off into the sunset like john wayne, without the horse, or the bag of gold.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

the trial will be overseen by Democratic Senator Patrick Leahy instead of U.S. Chief Justice John Roberts.

Hardly an impartial oversee er then. Just by that alone 75 million Americans will consider the trial "rigged" IMO.

I must have misheard when I thought Biden was talking about unity, and being president for ALL Americans.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, onebir said:

Maybe they're scared of the 'Trump constituency', rather than Trump himself?

Yes.  Death threats, for themselves and their family members.

[...] was arrested in Northern California after reportedly sending menacing text messages about the 2020 presidential election to the congressman’s brother and sister-in-law, according to a federal criminal complaint filed in New York.  “Your brother is putting your entire family at risk with his lies and other words. We are armed and nearby your house,” one of the messages [...]  "We are not far from his either. Your words have consequences. Stop telling lies; Biden did not win, he will not be president.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/26/hakeem-jeffries-family-threat-462920

GOP members are getting similar messages, but will only speak of them under anonymity.

This just in:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dhs-issues-national-terrorism-alert-for-domestic-extremists-11611770893

Edited by bendejo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

What always perplexes me about your argument is you seem super happy that he will get off through a 'technicality'.

There's little argument about accountability. justice or whats right. It's all about the admiration of someone who plays the system, finds the loophole or bullies their way out of justice.

It's like cheering for the mafia when they kill a key witness.  

It's quite simple, I don't accept the underlying premise of the Democrat Party , and a few rump Republicans, that President Trump committed any impeachable offense in relation to the Capitol Hill demonstration (or any offense) so of course I'm pleased that the Senate appears ready and willing to not convict him on the House charges.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Forum rules permit 3 sentences. You choose only 1 since the next 2 debunked your opinion.

Do they say you must quote three? I quoted Senator Paul's opinion on the House impeachment and it's applicability to a former president. Its my post so I am responsible for it and decide what to put in it. Senator Schumer has a different opinion, which I don't agree with and therefore am under no obligation to quote in my post. Any member who agrees with what the Democrat Party is attempting to do is free to enlighten us with their views, and quote from sources supporting them.

• Thanks 1