Issan people and Indigenous Australians.

Natai Beach

January 26 yesterday and a lot of debate and carry on about whether we should change the date of Australia Day to a date that doesn’t offend the Indigenous Australians. 

I have no issue with changing it. 

I have spent a lot of time in outback Australia and also in Issan and have many people from both places who I consider good friends.

The people of Issan remind me a lot of the Indigenous Australians.

Generally speaking..

1 They are very friendly and welcoming to strangers, much more so than the general population.

2 They have complex social hierarchy rules, avoid social conflict and have very strong family bonds.

3 Formal education is not given a high priority, many of the older people are illiterate and finished school at a very young age and they don’t push their kids hard education wise either with far less finishing high school than the national average.

4 They have their own interesting unique and distinct, culture, food, language, dance, traditions etc.

5 Have strong animism beliefs and also of spirits and ghosts.

6 They are generally not really career orientated and are less likely to, and have less ambition to “make it to the top”. Many have a strong reluctance to work doing something they don’t enjoy and will quit easily. Sport is an area they do excel at.

7 In daily life they use their own spoken language that was never developed into a written language and that isn’t the national language.

8 They are not proactive health wise, often will neglect their health until it is too late, high rates of diabetes etc 

9 If someone gets ahead financially others often have no hesitation asking for money. They are not shy to ask someone they hardly know for money. Someone who does “make it” or get ahead will be expected to share with other family members and will be considered stingy and selfish if they don’t.

10 Their housing is often basic which doesn’t seem to matter much to them and many don’t seem bothered by litter, even on their own private land.

11 They are capable of getting a lot of their food “off the land” if needed and eat various fauna and flora which is not consumed by the general population. 

12 Alcohol use, especially by the men causes a lot of problems, addiction, financial, violence etc High drug use amongst the young also causes problems. 

13 Taking or borrowing things without asking and not returning them isn’t considered stealing.

14 A high level of promiscuity. Men will often have more than one wife, which is mostly accepted, or even expected. 

And it is not uncommon to see younger women with much older white blokes seemingly for financial support rather than any real physical attraction. These white blokes usually are unemployed and typically enjoy a drink.

15 A high incidence of teen pregnancies and the young fathers often do a runner and give no financial support. Not uncommon for children to be raised by grandmothers or extended family.

16 Poor credit ratings. Loans are not repaid promptly.

17 More likely to be incarcerated than the general population and they are suspicious of police and courts.

18 They are targeted by some in the general population with derogatory racial slurs.

19 They have lower life expectancy than the general population.

20 It is amazing how many they can fit into a Ute/pickup for long journeys and can tolerate long periods of what I would find unbearably uncomfortable without the slightest complaint.

21 They like a good burn off.

22. The have a much lower net worth than the population average.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If this post of yours is just an observation type of post for general knowledge, than good on ya, but if this is some kind meddling in Thailand's relations with it's rural people calling for more recognition to them than i thing you're threading on thin grounds here mate...

• Like 2

I don't doubt Aboriginal DNA is mixed with some lines in Southeast Asia. They came through India and Southeast Asia before settling in Australia. These days with our global culture and air travel the whole world has a touch of it and of course most indigenous/Aboriginal peoples around the globe have mixed blood from Europeans or others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

If this post of yours is just an observation type of post for general knowledge, than good on ya, but if this is some kind meddling in Thailand's relations with it's rural people calling for more recognition to them than i thing you're threading on thin grounds here mate...

No, just my thoughts of spending time in both places. 
Just a long list of similarities IMO. 

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I don't see major differences between Issan people and others in Thailand except for some cultural aspects such as their good food and music. 

And language, bangfai,  etc. In some ways it is like a different country altogether.
The Thaification policies brought them more into the fold which was deliberate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaification

For sure Issan has the best music in Thailand. Like sport, music is a fun activity, so they excel.

2 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

19 They have lower life expectancy than the general population.

I think you'd be surprised at just how long many Issan people, women in particular, live to be.  There are a number of centenarians in my area alone.  Whether this will change as the area becomes more modernised, with all the pollution and unhealthy food that brings with it, remains to be seen.  I suspect it will.

2 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

I think you'd be surprised at just how long many Issan people, women in particular, live to be.  There are a number of centenarians in my area alone.  Whether this will change as the area becomes more modernised, with all the pollution and unhealthy food that brings with it, remains to be seen.  I suspect it will.

yes I know, my friends father died at 101. Natural food and an active lifestyle a big contributing factor for that in my opinion.

But it is 77 for Thailand as a whole and only 72 for issan. 

They don’t smoke tobacco nearly as much as in the south from what I observe but I have no statistics to back that up.

18 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Where do you get that figure from for Issan?

In this village recently 3 people have died, lady 93, 1 man 91, 1 man being cremated today 83.

I think you are just dreaming up figures to sort your thread.

The official statistics Colin. I would link it for you but I know you can not read Thai. 

Not taken from a random sample of three people in one village from some bloke on the Internet. 
Have you ever been to outback Australia?

Seems to me to be a veiled Thai bashing topic to me,

Given the benefit of the doubt......for now !

There are also many in my village over 80 and one I know at 93.

Just saying my experience matches if not exceeds Colins.

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Seems to me to be a veiled Thai bashing topic to me,

Given the benefit of the doubt......for now !

I didnt think I could be accused of being a Thaibasher. I usually get labeled a Thai apologist. 

Just observations from my personal point of view that I have thought for a long time. 

It isn’t fact, just my opinion based on my experiences, nothing more.
It struck me the first time I ever visited Issan and enforced on further visits. I would be interested to hear from others who have experienced both worlds to see if they see it like I have.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

I didnt think I could be accused of being a Thaibasher. I usually get labeled a Thai apologist. 

Just observations from my personal point of view that I have thought for a long time. 

It struck me the first time I ever visited Issan and enforced on further visits. I would be interested to hear from others who have experienced both worlds to see if they see it like I have.

I think your the people of Issan would be outraged to be compared to Aborigines.

No way I'd marry a gin.

Edit. I'm married to an Isaan lady and living in remote Australia with a very high indigenous population.

Yes, without being articulate which is something I'm not very good at, there are vast similarities.

The main one I find is the ability to live off the land.

Edited by sipi
Couldn't be bothered articulating. Typical bloody Aussie.
  • Thanks 1

I hadn't noticed the peoples of Isaan rising up on 26 January to demonstrate against the past.

As a generalization, generalizations can be useful, but if not made with care they are mostly useful to racists and conspiracy theorists. How many people died in this or that village last week and at what age has no relevance to any half-sane discussion of life expectancy in Isaan or Woolloomooloo. And much the same applies to all the other nonsense above.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Probably would have been best put in the Aussie forum, not the pub.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sipi said:

I'm married to an Isaan lady and living in remote Australia with a very high indigenous population.

Yes, without being articulate which is something I'm not very good at, there are vast similarities.

Nice to hear from someone who has seen and experienced both worlds and sees the obvious similarities. 

First time I visited Issan it felt like I was back in Wyndham WA.
A heap of friendly drunk blokes all wanting to chat, girls offering themselves and bush tucker. 
The more I see the more this view is enforced. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sipi said:

Actually I find strong similarities between my wife's family and the Nepalese. Except one has obviously acclimatized to the cold and the other to the heat.

I have been to Nepal and it also has three distinct racial groups. The Pakistani looking, the chinesey looking ones that live in the mountains and the Indian types who make up most of the population in Lumpini. 

Nice country. 

Ok thats enough.

CLOSED

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Thanks 2