Have you ever had 'Hard Times' in Thailand?

WineOh

30 minutes ago, WineOh said:

by people purposefully de-railing it.

The intent of this topic was genuine, I am interested to see what people have been through and having come out the other side, where they are now..

My past history is exactly that, past, and I am now reading TVF, until the possible next downhill episode, of which none of us may know about yet, including the OP........:whistling:

39 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There are few things as liberating in life as paying cash for a vehicle

Is that still possible?

I guess probably yes in Thailand, not so sure in other countries.

I like cash but it seems for higher amounts people get suspicious when they see cash and/or it might even become an issue with suspected money laundering. 

1 hour ago, WineOh said:

I'd like to start this thread by saying that right now, for me, life is easy.

I have enough money in my pockets, I have food on the table, ale in the fridge and a roof over my head.

I can easily afford 4/5 domestic or international holidays a year and plan to start traveling again once the world has opened up.

But it wasn't always this way.

When I first decided to live in Bangkok some years ago and was searching for work, I could barely afford my 3,500 baht per month apartment.

It was a small studio apartment in the more run down side of town.

It was difficult to make ends meet back then, but eventually I found work and began to get myself back on my feet..

Without a doubt the hardest times I have ever had here was when I first moved to Phuket, without a Job or place to stay.

Eventually I found a room, but that in itself was a mammoth task considering how much money I had in my pocket.

I remember being down to my last 10 baht, with which I purchased a can of coke from the local 7/11.

I made that can of coke last me for 3 days until finally I got the call from the job I had applied.

Thankfully, the company let me take out an immediate advance on my salary which helped me through the next month.

I also had a bad motorbike accident around this time in which I dislocated my elbow and broke it in two places, which meant I couldn't start my new job until 2 months after the proposed start date.

The rest is history, now I do my own thing in my own time and I have nobody to answer too.

Life is a lot easier than it used to be, but it sure wasn't always that way.

Have any of you lot fell on Hard Times in Thailand?

If so, what was the worst for you? 

How's your insurance?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DaLa said:

When I first ended up here through turmoil in my life back in the UK things were tough. I started a business with my Thai wife and had given up a well paid job back home and a riverside detached house in glorious settings to sleep on a concrete floor with no windows and no A/C for a few years.

The lack of friends, boredom and problems with the business and immigration rules here gave me plenty of headaches and sometimes regrets that I had committed to this new life.

I’ve adjusted, accepted Thailands misgivings and also once I reached UK retirement age became self sufficient. All I have to do is wake up in a morning. I have found meaningful ways of spending my days by alternating between watching pretty women on-line, watching pretty women whilst shopping in Central stores and having a drink or 3.

I’d say life's ok…..just waiting anxiously for that day when I wake up with a health issue.

Or waking up to see that you are already gone. Looking down on planet earth, zooming in on BKK streets to see the "hotties" walking around.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ivor bigun said:

When i first came here i used to have it hard two or three times a day ,after being married for 22 years and getting older i find its hard a lot less these days,  

same same but different.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

So you want/need to book a flight urgently back to wherever you come from. How?

For years I used a travel agent in Soi4 Nana. She did all the donkey work and I just handed the cash over. 

For urgently, Bangkok Bank have given me a Mastercard now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

But some businesses will only take Credit Card as opposed to a Debit Card, especially car hire.

I have my own cars, which I bought with cash of course.

Why don't you give it a whirl sometime? Then you wont have to keep hiring on credit ???? 

Edited by WineOh
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, WineOh said:

I have my own cars, which I bought with cash of course.

Why don't you give it a whirl sometime? Then you wont have to keep hiring on credit ???? 

Wherever did I say that I personally hire cars. I, like you, have my own house and car paid for with my own money.

2 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

A cc builds a credit rating 

it is also very important for traveling, booking hotel rooms etc etc etc

so you carry a pack of cash when travelling?

how do u book a hotel or plane tickets?

????????????????????‍♂️????????‍♂️????

Debit card does that. I also have never had a cc.