One death, 819 new Covid cases in 24 hours, strict measures may be relaxed in some provinces

webfact

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I understand your point and argument, but do you think your calculation would be higher if social distancing, mask wearing, hand sanitation and border lockdowns were not in place ?

Not really, those things just prolong the inevitable and people can only die once. The question is, how many deaths are caused by the economic tsunami that is happening and the Covid rules like isolation, depression, unemployment,... Not only in the West, but globally?

Something to think about: now we see some 'British mutation' that's more contagious than the original one. So we are putting everything in 'lockdowns', so what mutations are going to survive those? Right the more contagious ones... it's like playing Plague inc.

The only simple solution was: protect the elder and the weaker like we do with other viruses that are harmful to them.

13 minutes ago, ExpatDraco said:

Not really, those things just prolong the inevitable and people can only die once. The question is, how many deaths are caused by the economic tsunami that is happening and the Covid rules like isolation, depression, unemployment,... Not only in the West, but globally?

Something to think about: now we see some 'British mutation' that's more contagious than the original one. So we are putting everything in 'lockdowns', so what mutations are going to survive those? Right the more contagious ones... it's like playing Plague inc.

The only simple solution was: protect the elder and the weaker like we do with other viruses that are harmful to them.

Agree on some points, however the mutations are not really anything to worry about, its not a new virus, its just changing slower than the influenza virus when it mutates.

I read somewhere the UK had around 17,000 annual deaths from the influenza annually, however Covid is 5 times that and that is with the lockdowns, social distancing, etc etc.

Personally I don't have the answers to the solution, but at the end of the day, governments around the world should look at heavily taxing those who produce processed foods and those that produce GMO's because we all know that stuff weakens people's immune systems, while were at taxing, might as well up it on smokes and alcohol, otherwise having all of these people with weak immune systems costs the countries, as for the old, there are healthy and unhealthy ones, and if I had to guess if the ones with underlying conditions had any play on the above, well my guess would be quite possibly yes, that and maybe genetics.

I think opening up borders would be irresponsible, however lockdowns shouldn't be carried out, allow the thing to take it's course while people get vaccinated, and as you say protect the elderly and once all has fallen into place then look at borders opening up to those vaccinated IMO.