Know anyone who has died twice?

Saltire

My wife's very elderly father died a few weeks ago. When she and her brother went to the amphur to register his death, they were told they could not, as their records showed he died some 12 years earlier. He was not Thai, but from Myanmar so technically a migrant worker (who never actually worked). 

Instead of a death certificate the family were given an update sheet, stamped and signed which said (poor translation probably) "this person was sold on <date>, after which he remained in the Kingdom illegally"

The first death was registered by a relative (cousin) who still lives in the village, so now everyone knows and some have it seems had the same experience, all elderly non-Thai.

So I have to ask why? Is it simple faking his own death (by presumably paying the cousin) to stay under the radar from immigration, or some other 'deal'. 

I feel he has to have had a hand in this false report, if not then I can see no reason why someone would want to do this?

Anyone come across this?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

While I appreciate the humorous replies, I really would like to know why anyone would register a family member as deceased other than assisting with faking their own death. Who paid who and how much and why would you put your name on the paperwork when eventually the person will eventually die for real? Is it not a crime to report someones death when they are alive and kicking?

21 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I think it happened to Jesus Christ! I was'nt there but I have heard.......................................!

No, he came to LIFE twice, birth & resurrection, but only died once, on the cross, in atonement for MY sins after which he ascended into heaven to see his Dad, who really was himself and his ghost, or so I was told many years ago until I started to think for myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KKr said:

Q; where did the medical report confirming the "first" occurrence of passing on come from / get filed / got lost ?

At the local amphur which is about an hour from our village. It was filed officially and signed and stamped 12 years ago. It didn't get 'lost' as such, just waited it's time till they attempted to register it after the funeral.

The amphur did not give a copy but would only show them the records on screen FROM 12 years ago.

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Just like us, he'd probably got fed up with doing 90 day reports!

Well joking apart, not once did I see him go to any government office in the last 4 years, he was pretty much housebound. He did however hide when the IO came on their annual home visit at my renewal, the opposite of being a nosey git who came out to watch if we were having work done etc. He was noticeably uncomfortable when they came to distribute recent covid care packages to old people, and take an 'entourage' photo, so how did they know to come to him unless he was on a different list of not-dead people?

Bit extreme but no safer way to stay under the radar than being dead. He may have held the record for overstay as the last official id card we could find expired in 2003.

4 hours ago, Saltire said:

While I appreciate the humorous replies, I really would like to know why anyone would register a family member as deceased other than assisting with faking their own death. Who paid who and how much and why would you put your name on the paperwork when eventually the person will eventually die for real? Is it not a crime to report someones death when they are alive and kicking?

Some type of payment or tax due that would be erased upon death?  Could be incurred with or without the knowledge of the deceased.  Related to identity theft which leads to financial gain by the cousin? 

Others have had this happen but its the first anyone in the village have talked about it with each other?  Seems odd.  Why not ask the cousin?  

Just to close this post off, we now know the cousin was paid by my father in law to falsely register his death.

Apparently he was a habitual dodger of the police, frequently being sent back over the border to Myanmar, but continually sneaking back in till they caught him again. I guess it was one way to solve his problem of no ligit paperwork. N.B. This is not a recommendation in any way ????!

Can't understand the cousin agreeing though, as it should have been obvious when he died for sure, the cat would be well and trully out of the bag for him. Not so bright maybe.

On 1/28/2021 at 3:42 PM, Saltire said:

At the local amphur which is about an hour from our village. It was filed officially and signed and stamped 12 years ago. It didn't get 'lost' as such, just waited it's time till they attempted to register it after the funeral.

The amphur did not give a copy but would only show them the records on screen FROM 12 years ago.

there must have been a medical report of the person dying,
don't tell me someone can go to the ampheu and they take his word for it that someone passed away.

1 minute ago, KKr said:

there must have been a medical report of the person dying,
don't tell me someone can go to the ampheu and they take his word for it that someone passed away.

Quite agree.

However it turns out the perpetrator was the poo yai at the time he registered the death.

Not digging any further, though you are correct, there must have been more collusion.

2 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Quite agree.

However it turns out the perpetrator was the poo yai at the time he registered the death.

Not digging any further, though you are correct, there must have been more collusion.

someone maybe got paid to get loansharks off his back, who knows...
let him rest in peace then if it is likely to be something relatively innocent.