Food allergies in Thailand

BangkokBoyJohnny

Hi,

My asian wife has suffered (we think) food allergies a quite a few times over the past year. We are planning on getting her allergy tested on Friday.

I say food cos it could be airborne but seems to come after a meal. The Mrs has allergies now to Crab, Salmon, Squid it would appear. 

I'm just curious cos I seem to encounter more people with allergies to seafood in particular here than I do outside of Thailand. Anyone got any ideas why this might be ?

AND any anti-histamines that have worked for you ? The Mrs just came back from the local Pharmacy with an anti-histamine which specified eyes. nose, throat etc but no mentioned of Skin irritation.

I went to good old Boots and they've recommended Bilaxten tablets and Betamethasone-N cream (which I've bought). The cream she's applied. Will try the new tablets when the ones taken this morning wear off !

Many thanks in advance

BBJ and The Wife !

18 hours ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

Hi,

My asian wife has suffered (we think) food allergies a quite a few times over the past year. We are planning on getting her allergy tested on Friday.

I say food cos it could be airborne but seems to come after a meal. The Mrs has allergies now to Crab, Salmon, Squid it would appear. 

I'm just curious cos I seem to encounter more people with allergies to seafood in particular here than I do outside of Thailand. Anyone got any ideas why this might be ?

AND any anti-histamines that have worked for you ? The Mrs just came back from the local Pharmacy with an anti-histamine which specified eyes. nose, throat etc but no mentioned of Skin irritation.

I went to good old Boots and they've recommended Bilaxten tablets and Betamethasone-N cream (which I've bought). The cream she's applied. Will try the new tablets when the ones taken this morning wear off !

Many thanks in advance

BBJ and The Wife !

My friend as severe reaction to beef been in hospital many times with it.took long time to diagnose as they can't test for it yet in Thailand ????

Had lots of tests but on by process of  elimation did they come up with that

Had it for a few years but now seems to have gone ????

He ended up going to hospital in bangkok for many tests as well very frustrasting for long time.then they said 1 of his statins was triggering a reaction as well

• Like 2

I have bad food allergies.  None of the antihistamines really help with them.  Best thing to do is avoid eating what you are allergic to.  Unfortunately for me I am allergic to so many things it is pretty much impossible to avoid them all.

• Like 1

Hasn't happened to me for some years now but often in the past I'd be eating & drinking somewhere and I'd feel a burning itchiness coming in the palms of my hands and soles of my feet. My palms would turn red, and then I'd feel my face and chest get hot and turn red. When I pulled my shirt off I'd see red blotches on my body, this condition would last for a few hours then subside. It happened to me maybe  half a dozen times a year. I never found out what caused it, but suspect maybe too much MSG in the food.

• Like 1

It seems many suffer from an allergy or intolerance to MSG. It is used in nearly all dishes here. It is fairly easy to avoid. I always ask for mai sai pun chulott. It is pronounced many different ways, but this usually works. I cannot taste any difference, so why bother consuming it? 

Previously referred to as Chinese restaurant syndrome, MSG symptom complex is a cluster of adverse reactions often mistaken for a food allergy. It is not a true allergy, but rather a food intolerance.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-are-the-symptoms-of-msg-allergy-83193

You also have to consider allergy against preservatives. Have you ever realised that there are no flyes at any market? Go to any country around Thailand and the markets are swarming with flyes. Years ago Formaldehyd was used to treat fish and shrimp, also
Alaun is still used today, this even was shown on TV as the means of treating a popular sea cucumber salad. What aluminium salt is doing to a babies brain is really awful.

• Like 1

@BangkokBoyJohnny

Most East Asians I have found are allergic to milk (lactose) and shrimps. Crab and squid should be alright.

Did you give her any milk to drink besides seafood? Soya milk is alright as that doesn't contain lactose.

Eating shrimps causes itchiness in some Thai people I have met. It seems that the red stuff from the head of the shrimps contains some minor irritants.

If she had headache instead of itchiness, she might be allergic to MSG. 

Edited by EricTh

15 minutes ago, EricTh said:

@BangkokBoyJohnny

Most East Asians I have found are allergic to milk (lactose) and shrimps. Crab and squid should be alright.

Did you give her any milk to drink besides seafood? Soya milk is alright as that doesn't contain lactose.

Eating shrimps causes itchiness in some Thai people I have met. It seems that the red stuff from the head of the shrimps contains some minor irritants.

If she had headache instead of itchiness, she might be allergic to MSG. 

No she hardly ever drinks milk, she seems to be more allergic to octopus & prawns (just sometimes though, ie once a month) than Crab I think. Loves RAW shrimp !

No headaches as such, just REAL itchy ....She's thinking its "Preservatives" 

17 minutes ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

No she hardly ever drinks milk, she seems to be more allergic to octopus & prawns (just sometimes though, ie once a month) than Crab I think. Loves RAW shrimp !

No headaches as such, just REAL itchy ....She's thinking its "Preservatives" 

Then it's quite obvious, it's the shrimps. I know of other Asian people who have allergy to shrimps as well, it's quite common. Preservatives hardly cause any allergy.

It's quite simple to test, just buy fresh big shrimps (no preservatives) especially those with juicy shrimp head (the head usually oozes some reddish material) and nothing else except rice and fresh vegetables, if she gets a reaction, then it's confirmed it is shrimp/prawns.

Don't put anything with MSG for this test to eliminate the cause.

Some might be allergic to the allergen in the head and not the flesh of the shrimp which might explain why sometimes she gets it.

Asians find it weird when westerners get allergy to peanuts too....

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about your wifes allergy problems.
If she is on any daily medication food stuffs can cause adverse attacks, even fruits like jackfruit seeds can cause skin problems if one is allergic to latex.
As others have commented there are many foodstuffs included in Thai food, e.g. MSG.

I am very allergic to Phad Chi.  
As a vegan, from choice, I rarely buy food outside and find alternatives, e.g. making my own soy yogurt.  

I am allergic to many medicines and have a list attached to a copy to my passport which I carry with me.

On 1/28/2021 at 9:35 AM, rwill said:

I have bad food allergies.  None of the antihistamines really help with them.  Best thing to do is avoid eating what you are allergic to.  Unfortunately for me I am allergic to so many things it is pretty much impossible to avoid them all.

Noted re antihistamnes thanks

Yeh I think we'll try blood tests then a process of elimination by focusing on one food type each week !

Week 1 Shrimp cocktail, Raw shrimp, Shrimp Curry etc

Week 2 Crab curry, crab cakes etc

Week 3 Salmom....

Week 4 etc etc !

On 1/28/2021 at 9:30 AM, Gilltom said:

My friend as severe reaction to beef been in hospital many times with it.took long time to diagnose as they can't test for it yet in Thailand ????

Had lots of tests but on by process of  elimation did they come up with that

Had it for a few years but now seems to have gone ????

He ended up going to hospital in bangkok for many tests as well very frustrasting for long time.then they said 1 of his statins was triggering a reaction as well

Blimey never heard of allergy to Beef before but I guess people can be allergic to anything and everything !

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It seems many suffer from an allergy or intolerance to MSG. It is used in nearly all dishes here. It is fairly easy to avoid. I always ask for mai sai pun chulott. It is pronounced many different ways, but this usually works. I cannot taste any difference, so why bother consuming it? 

Previously referred to as Chinese restaurant syndrome, MSG symptom complex is a cluster of adverse reactions often mistaken for a food allergy. It is not a true allergy, but rather a food intolerance.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-are-the-symptoms-of-msg-allergy-83193

Noted thanks will research that ...

18 hours ago, condohope said:

You also have to consider allergy against preservatives. Have you ever realised that there are no flyes at any market? Go to any country around Thailand and the markets are swarming with flyes. Years ago Formaldehyd was used to treat fish and shrimp, also
Alaun is still used today, this even was shown on TV as the means of treating a popular sea cucumber salad. What aluminium salt is doing to a babies brain is really awful.

She's thinking it may be preservatives too actually ...

9 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Sorry to hear about your wifes allergy problems.
If she is on any daily medication food stuffs can cause adverse attacks, even fruits like jackfruit seeds can cause skin problems if one is allergic to latex.
As others have commented there are many foodstuffs included in Thai food, e.g. MSG.

I am very allergic to Phad Chi.  
As a vegan, from choice, I rarely buy food outside and find alternatives, e.g. making my own soy yogurt.  

I am allergic to many medicines and have a list attached to a copy to my passport which I carry with me.

No she's on no medications. Might be time to force feed her some MSG and see the reaction !

Just now, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

Blimey never heard of allergy to Beef before but I guess people can be allergic to anything and everything !

Yes some people are allergic to beef, i know a man with that problem.

My wife is allergic to shrimps, many people allergic to many different things, suppose i am fortunately allergic to penicilin, but no food allergies.

• Like 1