Thailand Banks - One Part Space Age - Once Part Stone Age

I had to go the Bangkok Bank today to pick up my one year bank statement for my visa extension.  Though they told me last week it would be available today when I arrived they said, sorry it had not arrived and to wait 3 or 4 more days.  As a person who worked for major banks for over 3 decades I am constantly struck by the dichotomy in the banking system here in Thailand.  On the one hand, you have apps on your phone where you can transfer money, pay bills, scan QR codes for payments, do withdrawals at ATM's without a card etc. On the other hand, savings accounts are still with a passbook and machine posted which I have not seen in the USA in at least 2 decades.  Further, to get a statement, I have to go to a branch, fill out a form, show my passport, sign a copy of my passport, wait a week and then return to pick it up.  By contrast, my bank in the USA is in New York City.  I can go to my computer and print off any  statement going back years.  Why the local branch office at least does not have the capability to print a statement electronically is truly stone age.  While it may be unfair to compare US banks to Thailand, I can get my transaction history on Lazada, or Shopee.  I can print the statements and history for AirPay.  So the technology exists, but why the Thai banks embrace the new technology yet cling to relics of the past is truly baffling. 

Yes I have a BKK Bank account and the mobile app which they downloaded and setup for me. The difficculty of opening the account is another story which I he relayed before. Anyway the app is fantastic, pay bills ad transfer money in a snap. Some Thai app esp Government ones are a horror story but this one is smooth a baby's bottom. My only gripe is that I can't pay my PEA electricity bill. Other banks apps will let you and you can pay at 7-11 etc.. Strange

1 hour ago, Isaan Alan said:

I can't pay my PEA electricity bill

That is strange however my electric bill is automatically debited against the account.  I also have bills from 3bb and AIS which I use Air Pay.  Shopee provides a 50 baht coupon.  So I use the coupon it automatically looks up my bill and I hit pay.  To reload Airpay I just hit the Top Up on the Bangkok Bank app and again it remembers my Airpay account.  As said, some aspects of Thai Banks are very modern but the passbook and having to order a statement is definitely something you have not seen in the USA in decades. 

3 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

While I too cannot pay PEA direct from the BKK app, I can pay direct from my account using the PEA app.

I also have Bangkok Bank but another account at SCB.  Never looked at paying the electric from Bangkok but PEA automatically debits the SCB account each month to pay the bill.