Australia Tourist Visa: Where to get a police certifcate from?

My girl has been in Australia for more than 1 year on a tourist visa where they are asking for a police certificate now. How do we get one?

Here is the information on the email they sent me below:

Police certificates You must provide police certificate(s) from each country where you have lived for a total of 12 months or more in the last 10 years as evidence that you satisfy the character requirements. These 12 months are calculated cumulatively and need not have been consecutive. The name on the police certificate(s) must match the name in your passport and must include any other names or aliases you are or have been known by. If the name on the police clearance certificate(s) received by us is different from your passport or does not list all other names you have been known by, you will be requested to obtain another police certificate(s). If you are unable to obtain a police certificate, it is in your best interest to demonstrate to us, with documentary evidence where possible, that you have made a genuine attempt to obtain the relevant certificate(s). If we are satisfied that you are unable to obtain a police - 4 - certificate(s) and have made a genuine attempt to do so, then a waiver of this requirement may be granted. If you do not provide the police certificate(s) and I am satisfied that it is reasonable for you to provide them, your application may be refused. Some countries may need you to obtain a letter from us confirming the request for a police certificate. More information including country-specific instructions on how to obtain a police certificate is available on our website immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/meeting-ourrequirements/character

Out of interest did your girlfriend get stuck in Australia because of covid. Mine left just before - I wondered if we had of delayed it but kept within the visa whether they would have let her stay. Sorry about the font. I copied and pasted and now I can't get it normal.

For the police details in Bangkok  if you google Character requirements for visas and click the section ' apply for a police certificate in relevant countries' and then go to Thailand you'll get details below: 

Street address:

Police Clearance Service Centre
1st Floor (Building 24)
Royal Thai Police Headquarters
Rama 1
Pathumwan
Bangkok 10330

THAILAND

Phone +66 (0)2205-2168-9
email: [email protected]

1 hour ago, organicman said:

How do we get one?

As far as I can recall, has to be applied for in Bangkok and she has to apply for it in person, albeit it if you get the right guy on the phone sure he can sort something out for the right tea money.

Good Luck

Yes, my girl has been stuck here cause of Covid-19 where she arrived in Feb 2020. I applied for a new Tourist Visa in April 2020 for her where she couldn't go for the doctor for an assessment because Covid-19 was hitting us hard here in Melbourne. Around November 2020 when everything was open up again, there was a 4 month wait to visit the doctor for an assessment (next week). I received an email this week asking for a ferderal criminal check in Australia (easy to get online) as well as the above which I'm not sure about.

The link you gave me says it's under construction (http://www.pcscenter.sb.police.go.th/)

So I could have had my girlfriend here for the last 10 months had the timing of things been a bit different.  Instead it's calls on line  - not the same thing. 

It's possible that if you attempt to contact them by email to arrange it and they don't reply  or they tell you it has to be in person that will be sufficient for the Australian Government as the staff appear to be saying   you just need to make a genuine attempt and you clearly can't go in person.

I would send them an email and see what happens. If after a few days nothing happens or you get a reply saying it can't be done online I would ring the immigration line and say you have made a genuine attempt, that the website link doesn't work,  and see what they say. If you call it's best do so straight after opening hours as otherwise it's hard to get through.

I noticed my girlfriend's tourist visa (1 year) finished in October 2020 where Australian Immigration gave her a bridging visa cause of Covid-19. Does that mean they will allow her to stay another 3 months than she has to go back or would they refuse her visa cause now it's past October 2020 even tho this week they emailed me asking for police checks and medical checks?

I called the Thai Embassy (Melbourne) where they said she has to get her fingerprints done here in Australia and it's best to have someone in Thailand to process it in person and send it back to us back in Australia. Instructions are below from there website https://www.thaiconsulatemelbourne.com/consular-services

POLICE CLEARANCE SERVICES 

Unfortunately, the Royal Thai Consulate General Melbourne is unable to accept fingerprint appointments for Thai Police Clearance Services until further notice due to the risk of COVID-19 and our obligation to maintain a safe environment for you and our staff. We do apologise for any inconvenience.

You may need to contact Victoria Police for a fingerprint facility (T. 1300 881 596).

The Royal Thai Consulate Melbourne cannot lodge in the Thai Police Clearance application on the applicant’s behalf. The applicant must apply in person or via post at Clearance Service Centre, Special Branch, Royal Thai Police (in Thailand).

Address: Building 24, Royal Thai Police Headquarters, Rama 1, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330, Thailand

Police Clearance Service Centre Open Hours: Monday to Friday 08.30 – 16.30 Only Except Public holidays

Tel: +66 2 205 2168-9
Fax: +66 2 205 1295
E-mail: [email protected]

Same details I gave .

Send an email to the police. If they help, good, but my guess is they won't reply.

Then call the  immigration hotline and explain the situation, and the steps you've taken,  and say politely that it is not practical for you to get the police check in person as no one in Thailand can go to Bangkok on your behalf. You can then say you are concerned that it is not likely to be practical by mail, they didn't reply to the email,  and that it will probably take months to complete the process. 

If the officer sounds vague say politely that you appreciate if they can please escalate it to an officer who can make a decision.

You may have been sent a standard request to get the check and once you let them know the situation they will tell you it is not necessary.

Archived