Renewing USA Passport. Attaching photo to form?

Has anyone renewed their US passport by mail RECENTLY and if so how (if at all) did you attach your photo to the form? 

I really want to do this process exactly so there is no problem or delay. 

Thank you for your total cooperation in this matter. 

When I did mine in person sometime ago I just paper clipped it the photo to the application.

Reading the instruction on the embassy website it only says you provide a photo.

Opened the DS-82 form and it shows this. So it appears they want them stapled to the form.

image.png.1bc4f291fe905f72a085523ea752e3d4.png

1 hour ago, beachproperty said:

By mail???? I didn't know that was an option.....I went to the embassy in person and applied. 

Of course it's an option. The downside is you must send your passport so you're without it until the new one arrives.

11 minutes ago, tonray said:

Of course it's an option.

At this time it is not an option. The are only accepting them by mail due to covid 19.

Before they would accept the application in person but it had to be returned by mail.

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

At this time it is not an option. The are only accepting them by mail due to covid 19.

Before they would accept the application in person but it had to be returned by mail.

I meant by mail has always been an option for those not near embassy or consulate.

I stapled (4x) my photo to the DS-82, as instructed. Seemed weird but if that's what they want...

From Jan 11, 2021 Updated FAQ:

Q: When will the American Citizen Services (ACS) unit re-open for non-emergency passport, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and notarial services?

A: The ACS units in Bangkok and Chiang Mai have resumed normal operations.

If you have a question about appointments for passport, CRBA, and notarial services, please review our scheduling website here for more information.

https://th.usembassy.gov/covid-19-faq/

From this I assume that the in-person renewal is now again possible. The one nice thing on going in-person (15 minute walk for me) is that you can pay in USD with a CC. The 100 baht EMS fee, for mailing the new passport back to you,  can be paid in cash (2x if you get a passport card as these are mailed separately). They include the new passport cover letter required for Thai Immigration to transfer stamps.

8 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

From this I assume that the in-person renewal is now again possible.

There is conflicting info on the website. It appears you cannot apply for a renewal of a passport in person.

See: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

"Bangkok Appointments:

• To make an appointment for a notary, minor passport, first adult passport, or lost/stolen passport replacement please CLICK HERE"

I didn't step through a dummy appointment booking so cannot verify that an in-person renewal is accepted...but this wording implies that they are:

We encourage all adult passport renewals to use this mail-in service.  In-person appointments are available for individuals who are required to submit a DS-11 passport application(minor applicants, first-time adult, first application after a lost/stolen passport).

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

They've discouraged in-person renewals for at least a year or two.

And they've relaxed any COVID restrictions.

Appointments appear limited to Monday and Thursday.

And while not an issue now, previously some folks needed to renew their passports, yet keep the current one in-hand for pending, near-term international travel. So that required an in-person visit.

I renewed mine, in person, most recently in June, 2019, and they had the exact same wording "encourage" back then.

34 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

And while not an issue now, previously some folks needed to renew their passports, yet keep the current one in-hand for pending, near-term international travel. So that required an in-person visit.

If you applied in person they would give your passport back to you but it would be canceled and would not be good for international travel.

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I didn't step through a dummy appointment booking so cannot verify that an in-person renewal is accepted...but this wording implies that they are:

We encourage all adult passport renewals to use this mail-in service.  In-person appointments are available for individuals who are required to submit a DS-11 passport application(minor applicants, first-time adult, first application after a lost/stolen passport).

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

They've discouraged in-person renewals for at least a year or two.

And they've relaxed any COVID restrictions.

Appointments appear limited to Monday and Thursday.

I renewed mine, in person, most recently in June, 2019, and they had the exact same wording "encourage" back then.

from the website:

Update 9/10/2020: The ACS units in Bangkok and Chiang Mai are accepting mail-in DS-82 adult passport renewal applications, and are now open for in person appointments for notary services, Certificate of Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) services, and passport services for individuals who are required to submit a DS-11 passport application (minor applicants, first-time adult, first application after a lost/stolen passport).

passport renewal is mail and mail return only. 

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

from the website:

Update 9/10/2020:

There is a more recent update from Jan 11, 2020.

https://th.usembassy.gov/covid-19-faq/

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

passport renewal is mail and mail return only. 

You can make an appointment for "Passport Services other than adding pages". 

Again, my sense is that one can now make a renewal application in person, but that the ACS is "discouraging" this as they have done for at least the last 18 months.

Might I be wrong? Sure. I often am.

From the website:

On 1/28/2021 at 8:22 AM, mtls2005 said:

We encourage all adult passport renewals to use this mail-in service

On 1/28/2021 at 11:37 AM, NCC1701A said:

no it is not.

I renewed a passport in person in late December 2020. They kept the old one, and both the old one (cancelled) and new one were returned to me by Thailand Post EMS service two weeks later. 

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

where?

U.S. Consulate in Bangkok- American Citizen Services. My case was unusual, as I was required to submit a letter with the application, but it was easy to get an appointment. They only provide services Tuesday-Thursday from 0730 to 1130 (I think). 

I, too, must renew soon.  Upon reading the embassy page I was left with the clear understanding renewals are by mail only( unless an emergency need for sooner than 2-3 week processing time).

My hope is that thry return your old passport with the new one.  I seem to recall not always done.

8 hours ago, songmaew said:

My hope is that thry return your old passport with the new one. 

They always return the old one since they know you will need it at immigration to be legal in the country since it has your permit to stay stamps in it. They also send a letter you will need to transfer the stamp to the new one.

On 2/2/2021 at 10:54 PM, songmaew said:

I, too, must renew soon.  Upon reading the embassy page I was left with the clear understanding renewals are by mail only( unless an emergency need for sooner than 2-3 week processing time).

My hope is that thry return your old passport with the new one.  I seem to recall not always done.

You are right. I was reminded of that in the message I received from AmCit Services telling me they are EMS-ing me my replacement passport tomorrow. They specifically said they are taking no in-person appointments for passport renewals or first-time applicants unless they are special circumstances (i.e. requirement to submit a letter or an affidavit in person, which was my case). They will also not give in-person appointments to pick up a passport unless it's an emergency. 

Archived